Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association

Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/index.php)
-   Camp Fire Chat (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Width Restrictions (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1666)

Rockaholic 04-04-2010 05:20 PM

Width Restrictions

I am curious if there are any width restrictions on the trails in Washington state? If so what are they and where. What determines if width restrictions are placed on a trail? Also does anybody know if there are width restrictions at Browns Camp?

JK kat 04-05-2010 07:03 AM

As far as WA in general, there is not a width restriction unless it in some of the smaller trails like over in Rim Rock area, most are basically "JEEP" width. as i had an 07 JK with a 78 width, i did find some trails a bit tight but not undueable.

Been to Browns camp area and sone trails there are and when there are there is an obdstacle at the beginning and end that tests it. Its usually about 80 inches.

Nichol 04-05-2010 10:01 AM

When I was at Tahuya in February they had a sign that stated 96 inch width restriction.

WHITE TRASH 04-05-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nichol (Post 12597)
When I was at Tahuya in February they had a sign that stated 96 inch width restriction.

Well darn, I was hoping to wheel my dually over there, guess there goes that plan... :icon_lol: I only know of one rig that was that wide that actually wheeled, I can't believe they had such an issue they had to put up a sign...

As for the OP's question some places are not a problem with AXLE width such as lil naches but there are trails at rimrock that even a narrow body won't fit through easily unless it's a sami or flatty.

TSF is pretty much a freeway, wheel whatever you want down there it'll fit. :D

Rockaholic 04-05-2010 06:46 PM

I guess that I will have to clarify a bit. I was asking if the governing agency had imposed any width restrictions on the trails in Washington or Browns Camp? Any help with this question will be greatly appreciated.

WHITE TRASH 04-05-2010 06:59 PM

If you are heading out by yourself there is no set width restriction that I'm aware of. If you want to participate in pretty much any PNW event yes, I think there is a limit at 76" But hey, I've been wrong before. :D

JK kat 04-06-2010 07:58 AM

i believe the PNW is revamping that limit slightly due to the new JK's comming out and there almost in ability to keep under that when getting wider tires than stock. A stock JK rubicon is @ 72 or 74 and when you goto an after market rim with a 12.50 tire it quickly adds up to 78. Stock rims are 6.25 offset with a 10 tire.

Dogfather 04-08-2010 09:58 AM

Just for Clarification Sake... The PNW4WDA Has no Width Restrictions..

The Forest service Contract for Trail Jam has width restrictions embedded in the contract with PNW for that specific Event..

Rockaholic 04-08-2010 03:12 PM

Now we are getting the answers that I was looking for, thanks Dogfather. Maybe Merrick knows if the F.S. has any width restrictions on any trails.

Let me give some history to the question. Most of the new trails in Central Oregon have or will have 80 inch Width Restrictions. Our club DC4W has voted to endorse this rule and I was wondering what is the situation in Washington and Tillamook are if any.

Art Waugh 04-08-2010 03:28 PM

Jon- Never done any wheeling in TSF, but drop an email to either the Region 3 director or a PM to Pistons Chick, she might know. Non others in the state that I am aware of, except the ones for class and I and III