Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association

Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/index.php)
-   Camp Fire Chat (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How about a new "Class IV" OHV in Oregon (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169)

Art Waugh 01-16-2009 04:58 PM

How about a new "Class IV" OHV in Oregon

For all members and non members that reside or play in Oregon, looking for some input and comments on establishing a new OHV class here. I am looking at somehere around 55 to 59 inch minimum width, and 1500 to 2000 lb minimum weight. This would end up being primarly a class for 4x4 vehicles.

Sand rails, buggies, side by side quads would still be in class II

A run down of what we now have:

Class I- 3 or 4 wheeled vehicle, 50 inch or less width and 800lb or less.

Class II- 4x4, sand rail, buggy, side by side quads, and pretty much everything that does not fit in the other two classes.

Class III- 2 wheel vehicle, 600 lb or less.

Let me know what you think, this is going to be my push for this year.

dirk 01-16-2009 08:36 PM

What is the advantage to another class?

Art Waugh 01-17-2009 07:37 AM

I think that we might have a better chance of getting trails designated for 4x4 use if we are a dedicated class. USFS can't seem to figure out all of the different vehicles that are lumped into class II as it now stands.

dirk 01-17-2009 10:30 AM

Would you split the old class II by 4x4 vs 2 wheel drive...with a min width/weight? Better question...where would this rig fit in?

Specs are:
80" outside of tire to outside of tire
4000 lbs
106" wheelbase
body is 55" wide
titled as a 92 YJ (some of the frame is still there), but licensed as an ORV in WA

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/IMG_6948.jpg

Art Waugh 01-19-2009 08:05 AM

There was some discussion at the state meeting on the 17th. The atv committee is thinking of doing something along these lines, but it is very early in the thought process. Feeling was to keep us in class II and move the side by side quads to a new class. I would like to see a 55 inch min. width, 1500 lb min. weight and 4 wheel drive as the specs for what would remain in class II, and move everything else to anothr class. I was originally thinking "class IV for 4x4's", kind of like the old "channel 4 for 4 wheelers" cb thing Your pictured rig and the specs given would fall directly in that framework.

dirk 01-19-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Waugh (Post 740)
There was some discussion at the state meeting on the 17th. The atv committee is thinking of doing something along these lines, but it is very early in the thought process. Feeling was to keep us in class II and move the side by side quads to a new class. I would like to see a 55 inch min. width, 1500 lb min. weight and 4 wheel drive as the specs for what would remain in class II, and move everything else to anothr class. I was originally thinking "class IV for 4x4's", kind of like the old "channel 4 for 4 wheelers" cb thing Your pictured rig and the specs given would fall directly in that framework.

Sounds reasonable. I have heard Arlene talk about ORV tab fees helping to fund the majority of 4x4 projects. Do the different classes in Oregon fund only specific types of trails...or is it all added to the same account & used for the benefit of all offroad trails/facilities?

Art Waugh 01-19-2009 11:39 AM

Our program funds the aquisition, development, and maint. of OHV areas, as well as education and enforcement. The allocation committee meets several times a year to review applications and disburse funding. Sticker fees and a percentage of the fuel tax is where the $ come from. They survey every so often to see how much fuel/miles are used off-highway and calculate from that. We were told that right now that the entire OHV/ATV program is running at just about 10 million a year for what they get and spend. Some projects are class specific, and lately funding is more likely if all classes have opportunity, and points are added as a bonus if class II is in the project. We are run out of the state parks and rec department. Oregon does has a reciprical setup with holders of equivilent permits/stickers from other states, ie. your Washington sticker is good in Oregon.

Art Waugh 01-20-2009 10:17 AM

I am somewhat surprised that no one from Oregon has yet to chime in on this one, as it will directly affect you, no matter which way it goes, be it a proposal from us or the ATV program folks in Salem.

CJ3BWILLYS 01-20-2009 08:16 PM

I'm more than willing to hear discussion on the subject, but it's my personal opinion that motorized recreationalists don't need to be divided to fight over already scarce opportunities. For instance, your thought is to separate side by sides from 4 wheel drives. This sounds fine until you consider a stock Suzuki Samurai, or flat fender Jeep, is not that much bigger than that side by side. If you want to REALLY split hairs you would have to make 3 or 4 classes just for 4 wheel drives.
I really believe strongly in multiple use of our public lands, and making another class of OHV's will just further divide users and limit our (4 wheelers) access.

Please remember this is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions don't you? :icon_smile: :icon_lol:

Art Waugh 01-21-2009 10:10 AM

While I appreciate and agree that we need to stick together, it sounds like Ron was talking about splitting class II up. If that ends up being the case, we might as well get something concrete out of the split, so the land managers and trail designaters have something solid to work with. As I said at the meeting, I feel we would stand a better chance of getting 4x4 trails.

My thought was 55" min width, 1500lb min. weight, and 4x4. must meet all 3. would include anything over those minimums.

Opinions, yep, hear you---and some folks think I have at least two:icon_lol: