Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association

Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Trails (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Manastash Ridge trail 4W330 (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205)

Ceg_ 01-19-2009 11:36 PM

Manastash Ridge trail 4W330

I am wanting to know how bad this trail is:

Manastash Ridge trail 4W330
http://cegranch.com/all/2007-06/2007-06-16-06.JPG

Let me know if you have ran it and in what type rig you did it with. Post up any pictures you may have on that trail.

Thanks, Clay

dirk 01-19-2009 11:47 PM

According to the MAP it is called Tipover Trail...isn't this the trail that is run on the Rocky Saddle run?

Quote:

ROCKY SADDLE (Rated 10; width restriction-75 inches.) This trail is for short wheel base vehicles with lockers front and rear, full roll cage, aggressive tires, CB and winch. For experienced drivers only! There is a high risk of vehicle and equipment damage. The trail host leader will determine final eligibility. Plan for a long day!
I have been on it with a CJ7...lots of tight corners in the timber.

Manastash Ridge Trail is 4W306.

Merrick Graves 01-19-2009 11:56 PM

Fun trail also known as Rocky Saddle even though the trail skirts below the saddle. Couple of fun short hill climbs thru rock slides. Then the trail gets tight and twisty. The trail thru the twisty section was rerouted a couple years ago by the Wandering Willys Jeep Club. For the most part the reroute builders took their flatfenders. We set it up so there were three and 4 point turn for the flatties. Thru the years others have made those ubbertight turns straighted. But it is still a good time. If you go uphill at the intersection instead of heading for the Shoestring and the Rock Garden you will pass a outlook rock. This is a great place to look down on the Rock Garden. Hold on to the kids though. Great place for lunch.

You can swing out thru the Shoestring or take the Rock Garden. Then choices become Upper Kaner or Quartz Mtn.

This is a popular run for the Jamboree. The run fill everyday it is offered.

Ceg_ 01-20-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk (Post 881)
According to the MAP it is called Tipover Trail...

Yes the Forest Service has been calling it Tip Over for years. That is one reason I asked about this trail. What are the chances of flopping. I have ran Shoestring and String but never 4W330. I have seen both ends of 4W330. I want to know what is in the middle. Waycrazy is wanting to run it this summer. I am not a fan of off camber in areas without trees to stop me from rolling down the hill. How bad it this trail as far as flopping?

Merrick Graves 01-20-2009 06:02 AM

Before the trail was rerouted it had a section in the center that been closed. You could not run the trail thru. The section that was closed had a reputation for some serious accidents. There had been deaths. It was a cresting hill that could be run downhill only. You had to be in a low gear under acceleration driving faster than you would slide. You could not see where or what was happening next because of the crest. As I remember about halfway down there was a sharp right followed by another sharp left. It was at these turns that trouble was encountered or the person had gotten on the brakes and was out of control. You just could not stop. The FS closed the trail by digging a giant tank trap and installing chain link fence. You can still get to that section from the top but are stopped a good distane before the trenchs. From the bottom you can not find the old trail. It was put to bed and has been reforested. It may of been named because of that section.

zukkev 01-20-2009 07:11 AM

Rocky Saddle Trail is a blast!!!! I love running it, some spectacular views! There isn't much off-camber on the trail-only a couple areas that I can think of; one is in the rock garden-not too bad at all. the other is before 'Sasha's infamous Hill!!!' (that loose rocky hillclimb she can't seem to make---Jim knows!)

Ceg_ 01-20-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrick Graves (Post 884)
Before the trail was rerouted it had a section in the center that been closed. You could not run the trail thru. The section that was closed had a reputation for some serious accidents. There had been deaths. It was a cresting hill that could be run downhill only. You had to be in a low gear under acceleration driving faster than you would slide. You could not see where or what was happening next because of the crest. As I remember about halfway down there was a sharp right followed by another sharp left. It was at these turns that trouble was encountered or the person had gotten on the brakes and was out of control. You just could not stop. The FS closed the trail by digging a giant tank trap and installing chain link fence. You can still get to that section from the top but are stopped a good distane before the trenchs. From the bottom you can not find the old trail. It was put to bed and has been reforested. It may of been named because of that section.

Thanks for the history. :thumbup: I had not heard that before.

So all the easy death spots are gone? How does the trail compare to the others in the area as in difficulty? The rock gardens like the ones on Shoestring and Kanner or are they big where you need more ground clearance?

Ceg_ 01-20-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zukkev (Post 885)
Rocky Saddle Trail is a blast!!!! I love running it, some spectacular views! There isn't much off-camber on the trail-only a couple areas that I can think of; one is in the rock garden-not too bad at all. the other is before 'Sasha's infamous Hill!!!' (that loose rocky hillclimb she can't seem to make---Jim knows!)

How long is this loose climb?

zbd74 01-20-2009 07:30 PM

The Tipover W330 is the Boeing Employees Stump Thumpers (BEST) adopt-a-trail. You can see the stainless steel sign up on the tree in the background

Yeah, the Rocky Saddle Dropoff, used to be the W601 until the #'s were changed to the W300 series for some reason. It used to run out to the now end of the W306, turn left and drop...extreme pucker factor, I trigged out my inclinometer, which was pegged out to be 78* at the dropoff on top. Then it was about 150' of loose rock & dirt, you had to get on/off the brake & gas to stay straight. It got worse over the years as folks attempted to winch up it (I'm guilty), big holes got dug, and the drop got more dangerous

The last time I went off the drop off a good friend endoed right behind me. Two quarts of oil and we drove it out ot Cle Elum

The Powerline Pounders (PP's) always went off this during their annual club stag run. The party usually started after we all got to the bottom :kumbaya:

Unfortunately some assh*les :icon_evil:continue to cut trees on the trail to get their big ass rigs through I guess. I'm at 78"s and I've never had any problem working my way through

I guess I'll never understand why folks need to f*ck things up for others...starting to sound like Pokey aren't I :uhoh2:

zukkev 01-20-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceg_ (Post 900)
How long is this loose climb?

The majority of the climb isn't too bad---the last 100ft or so is fairly loose...yr before I crawled right up it in 2nd gear low range (6:1 case gaers w/ 4:88's in the pumpkins), this last yr at trail jam, I got denied on the first attempt, backed down (carefully mind you!), and made it no prob on the 2nd attempt...It's kind of a 2stage climb, totalling approx 250. The first 150ft or so is pretty easy!!!