Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association

Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/index.php)
-   Land Matters Discussion Area (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   USDA - Final Forest Planning Rule (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2773)

Arlene Brooks 01-26-2012 01:24 PM

USDA - Final Programmatic EIS - Forest Planning Rule

2 Attachment(s)
As an FYI - I thought I would post the two attachments regarding the Final Programmatic EIS for the Forest Planning Rule and Modified Alternative A (the complete document consists of 373 pages) for additional information go to < www.fs.usda.gov/planningrule >

I participate in the Region 6 (Regional) round table that was held in Portland (2009) it was a directive from the Obama Administration; the Rule is a set of regulations that will govern how the 193 million acre National Forest System will seek stronger protection for forests, water and wildlife.
In the Modified Alternative A document (219.10 Multiple Use pg 15-16 - 10 b i) addresses sustainable recreation; including settings, opportunities and access.

It is worth a read - let your State Directors and Inter Association Directors (IAD) know what you think - remember, it will be in your-back-yard before you know it.

Arlene Brooks, GRVJ -Region 1
PNW4WDA

paulp575 04-06-2012 08:02 PM

Re: USDA - Final Forest Planning Rule

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene Brooks (Post 18194)
As an FYI - I thought I would post the two attachments regarding the Final Programmatic EIS for the Forest Planning Rule and Modified Alternative A (the complete document consists of 373 pages) for additional information go to < www.fs.usda.gov/planningrule >

I participate in the Region 6 (Regional) round table that was held in Portland (2009) it was a directive from the Obama Administration; the Rule is a set of regulations that will govern how the 193 million acre National Forest System will seek stronger protection for forests, water and wildlife.
In the Modified Alternative A document (219.10 Multiple Use pg 15-16 - 10 b i) addresses sustainable recreation; including settings, opportunities and access.

It is worth a read - let your State Directors and Inter Association Directors (IAD) know what you think - remember, it will be in your-back-yard before you know it.

Arlene Brooks, GRVJ -Region 1
PNW4WDA

Although I didn't read the entire document, I did scan the document. One of the things I saw that was changing is that now the individual supervisor of the USFS unit is now the approving authority for the Land Management Plan, i.e., Forest Plan; it used to be the regional supervisor. I don't know if that's good or not. For example, here in WA state, we had one approving official (Region 6 supervisor); now we have 9 approving officials.

Only time will tell,

jim putman 04-07-2012 11:11 AM

One would hope that a local official would have a better grip on what is needed by the users of their particular forest area then the blanket approach that is the current rule. Might make it easier to effect changes on a more local level. (hope)

Art Waugh 04-09-2012 09:47 AM

The forest supervisor has always been the signature on the document, but it is run through regional and DC as well for their input and clearance. BLM is the same.

paulp575 04-09-2012 09:56 AM

Re: USDA - Final Forest Planning Rule

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Waugh (Post 18631)
The forest supervisor has always been the signature on the document, but it is run through regional and DC as well for their input and clearance. BLM is the same.

I did notice that the Chief of the Forest Service has stated he is going to provide some standards for the plans. So yes, there will still be some higher up influences.