Send Letters: Support Mtn Biking, 4x4 access Slide Mtn
its been announced that they will gate off slide mtn and decommission all the trails at NF. This means we will loose the ability to use street legal 4x4s upto some of the best views in whatcom county, and some of the best snow wheeling around! There is 20+ miles of trail at stake.
What can we do?
We need to help make sure these trails stay open. As the mtn bikers have noted, there is no legal recreation on DNR land in Whatcom County.
In short, the way they're managing dispersed recreation is not working. All of this is going towards a problem that needs to be tackled by the legislature... ie: user managed trail agreements.
Need to Email these people before April 1st, 2012:
• Bill Knutzen - email@example.com
• Kathy Kershner - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ken Mann - email@example.com
• Sam Crawford - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Carl Weimer - email@example.com
• Barbara Brenner - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Pete Kremen – email@example.com
• Jack Louws - JLouws@co.whatcom.wa.us
• Peter Goldmark – DNR commissioner firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mark Mauren – Head of Recreation - email@example.com
• Steve Jennison – Baker District Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Laurie Bergvall - Asst Region Manager - LAURIE.BERGVALL@dnr.wa.gov
• Ben Cleveland - NW Region Manager - email@example.com
What to write
I'm writing in regards to the gating and closure of mtn bike trails on slide mountain. I find it very disturbing that the DNR has decided to close access instead of work with user groups to work on a plan for eventual managed access within Whatcom County.
I understand that there is currently no recognized access in Whatcom County, however that shouldn't mean that user built trails cannot exist in some capacity. Its important that we allow some access, and manage it on a per-area basis. Closures should only be needed when there is scientifically documented negative impact that overrides the benefits to user access.
Additionally, closing the Slide Mtn access road limits legal access to some of the best views of whatcom county. There are currently 20+ miles of accessible logging road for visitors that would be closed to access. You can see some of these views here:
Please do not add a gate to Slide mountain or close the mtn bike trails. Work with user groups to figure out how to make user built trails usable until a plan can be devised to create managed recreation in Whatcom County.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.