Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association

Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/index.php)
-   Land Matters Discussion Area (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Look out, Oregon (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/showthread.php?t=347)

Grumpy 02-06-2009 10:41 AM

Look out, Oregon

To all:

If you like to drive a vehicle with different than OEM tires than you had better get on the phone or email and contact your representatives on this one. Oregon’s Governor is pursuing a bill that will make it illegal to install tires of a greater rolling resistance than stock. This means that even mud or snow tires will be illegal even if they are the same size due to the softer compound and higher rolling resistance. Taller or wider than stock tires will be completely out of the question. More info here including how to contact your representative:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62515

If you don’t live in Oregon you may still want to contact these people and your local representative so these lame ideas don’t come up in your state.

Best of luck to all of us in stopping this one,

Jim Cole
CAGE Offroad Products
866-587-CAGE

Grumpy 02-19-2009 10:11 AM

February 17, 2009

Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about House Bill 2186. Your feedback is important to me and helps inform the actions I take in the Legislature.

As you may be aware, HB 2186 is a part of Governor Kulongoski’s effort to raise environmental standards in over state and limit carbon emissions.

The intent of section (3)(1)(d) is to allow the Oregon Environmental Quality Commission to set standards for certain replacement parts that can increase greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles, not to ban parts. The standards would apply to both after-market products as well as original parts to the vehicle. The rules would be designed to prevent a significant increase in greenhouse gas emissions from replacement parts while still ensuring a full range of consumer choice in products. The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) does not expect this to affect a large number of products. The proposal is modeled after similar changes in states like California to improve, not ban, automotive parts.

In their testimony before the House Environment and Water Committee, DEQ made clear their commitment to amend the bill with new language to be written in cooperation with the Northwest Automotive Trades Association, the Automobile Aftermarket Industry Association and others to clarify their intent.

Thanks for writing me. It is an honor representing you in the Oregon House of Representatives and I hope you will continue to write me about issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Dave Hunt

State Representative

Speaker of the House

http://www.state.leg.or.us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grumpy 02-19-2009 10:11 AM

You Oregon kids really need to get after this.

RICHARD CRANIUM 02-19-2009 01:30 PM

I got the same reply from him, and two from others.

Thank you for your message regarding House Bill 2186. This bill
reflects a concept created in the Governor's office. It was then
referred to the House Committee on Environment and Water (on which I
serve as one of eight members). At the bill's first hearing, held on
Tuesday, February 3rd, I explained to the witnesses from the DEQ that I
was not happy with the concepts contained in the bill. The delegation
of power to the DEQ is far too great and the economic impact of the bill
is too far reaching. The bill will, I am sure, require additional
public hearings.

I represent District 60 (Malheur, Baker, Harney, and part of Grant
County). I am certain that a majority of my constituents will oppose
many of the ideas in the bill, particularly those which will negatively
impact our economy. I would strongly suggest and recommend that you
contact your state representative and share with him (or her) your
thoughts regarding this bill.

Very Truly Yours,

Representative Cliff Bentz
District 60

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email on HB 2186. While I support measures for
improving our environment, I am opposing this bill in its current form
for a number of reasons including the potential detrimental effects it
has on those in the used-parts industry. As Vice Chair of the House
Environment and Water Committee, you can be sure that I will do all I
can to oppose this bill or amend it to a form that is more acceptable.
Your comments are appreciated.

Sincerely,

Vic
Representative Vic Gilliam
House District 18
(503) 986-1418
rep.vicgilliam@state.or.us

CreeperSleeper 02-27-2009 02:24 PM

I ended up writing an email to the House Speaker as well as the House Environment and Water Committee opposing H.B. 2186. This is what I wrote:

Hello!

I am writing in regards to H.B. 2186. My main concern with this bill is Section 3.1.d: "Restrictions and prohibitions on the sale and distribution of after-market motor vehicle parts, including but not limited to tires, if alternatives are available that decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles;"

I can see the ideology behind this bill but I feel that the thinking involved in this bill is severely flawed for multiple reasons. First of all, the sale and distribution of aftermarket parts for cars is a huge industry in Oregon. This bill will choke out that market, creating more economic challenges in this tough time we are in. Basically we will only have one tire available for our vehicle. That tire will be focused on emissions only. The problem with this is you will end up killing tire manufactures and distribution centers that depend on tire sales. That one tire that will be available will be over-priced because it will have a monopoly on that tire size that is protected by the government. That will lead to people waiting even longer to replace tires on their vehicle, creating more safety issues on our roadways. The fact of the matter is, even with these new "eco-friendly" tires, there will still be issues in safety. Remember the Firestone tires on Explorers? That tire was designed for the best fuel economy possible to get the explorer to meet federal standards. This line of thinking will not work and it has been shown in other areas of regulation in the past.

Furthermore, this will continue to hurt the economy due to the hobby's of people that use their vehicles as recreation. Every year I drive to multiple car shows in the area. Every year that takes buying things from local vendors. Everything from gas to get there, food while I'm there, detailing my car before I go, et cetra. Not only will this bill kill peoples hobbies and borderline infringe on the right to happiness, you will be putting another nail in the coffin of our fragile economy.

Please throw out H.B.2186 as soon as possible! It will cause more damage than it will good.

Sincerely,
Chad Holznagel
Newberg, OR

Here are the email addresses so you don't have to look them up: rep.davehunt@state.or.us; rep.becannon@state.or.us; rep.juleskopelbailey@state.or.us; rep.philbarnhart@state.or.us; rep.cliffbentz@state.or.us; rep.deborahboone@state.or.us; rep.vicgilliam@state.or.us; rep.bobjenson@state.or.us; rep.jeffersonsmith@state.or.us

Art Waugh 05-19-2009 04:00 PM

Passed the house and on its way through the senate, but don't know how many changes were made in committee.

Grumpy 05-19-2009 09:16 PM

Wow, you've got weinies in Salem like we have in Oly? We must be too close to Kalifornia:)

Art Waugh 05-20-2009 07:53 AM

They now have a super majority in both houses and can pass any fool thing they want without fear.

Grumpy 05-20-2009 08:26 PM

Yup, just like the raid on NOVA. That's gonna start a war up here...