Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association

Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/index.php)
-   Racers Edge (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   racing questions (http://www.pnw4wda.org/forums/showthread.php?t=426)

mjp1080 02-23-2009 05:55 PM

racing questions

I am considering building a race jeep but dont know the pnw's build specs. I read thru the ones posted on the main site but they are aimed more toward safety and competition rather that rig specs. Is there a rule book I could obtain to learn more? Some of my questions include does it have to be a jeep, any model of jeep? Is there a trackwidth and wheelbase requirement, engine size, transmision, suspension design and travel limits? How about tire design and size? Any help would be appreciated.:cool_shades::cool_shades:

Big K 02-24-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjp1080 (Post 2238)
I am considering building a race jeep but dont know the pnw's build specs. I read thru the ones posted on the main site but they are aimed more toward safety and competition rather that rig specs. Is there a rule book I could obtain to learn more? Some of my questions include does it have to be a jeep, any model of jeep? Is there a trackwidth and wheelbase requirement, engine size, transmision, suspension design and travel limits? How about tire design and size? Any help would be appreciated.:cool_shades::cool_shades:

It's pretty much all there in the competition section, but I'll hit the high points...

No specific model/vehicle requirement. 4wd required. No requirements for trackwidth, suspension design/configuration or travel, transmission type/manufacturer, or tire size/manufacturer.

Quote from rules;

B) COMPETITION CLASS

1) Three (3) Short Wheelbase- (4, 6, 8) cyl through 85”

2) One (1) Medium Wheelbase- (4, 6, 8) cyl 86” through 101”

3) One (1) Long Wheelbase- (4, 6, 8) cyl, 102” and over.

4) One (1) Legends Class. Age 45 and older. No wheelbase breakdown and no cylinder breakdown.

There are no engine or transmission restrictions in the primary class

The above outlines the wheelbase & engine classes. Three different engine size classes in short wheelbase, based upon cylinder, not cubic inch. All medium & long wheelbase run together, regardless of engine size.

As you noted, all safety guidelines & requirements are in the competition section of the website.

Yes, it's pretty wide open. Be safe & have fun!

Robwillys 02-24-2009 01:10 PM

As was stated, it's for the most part wide open . We have everything from Suzukis and sand rails to full size trucks. We are even introducing a class for the side by side rigs. It is mostly a put into it what you can, and get out of it what you put into it kind of thing. There are classes for mostly stock (street and trail) rigs, and there are classes where some 2800 pound fiberglass and tube chassis rigs with nearly 700 Horse power fit in. Drags is the only time engine cubic inch is a class factor. There are a few race rigs for sale if that fits your ideas and budget?
As you might expect, sefety is our number 1 priority!!
If you have more questions, there are many people that will be willing to supply you with answers. I am more than willing to take the time myself to help you out with answers.
Good luck, and I hope to see you out on the track.

jim putman 02-24-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big K (Post 2249)
It's pretty much all there in the competition section, but I'll hit the high points...

No specific model/vehicle requirement. 4wd required. No requirements for trackwidth, suspension design/configuration or travel, transmission type/manufacturer, or tire size/manufacturer.

Quote from rules;

B) COMPETITION CLASS

1) Three (3) Short Wheelbase- (4, 6, 8) cyl through 85”

2) One (1) Medium Wheelbase- (4, 6, 8) cyl 86” through 101”

3) One (1) Long Wheelbase- (4, 6, 8) cyl, 102” and over.

4) One (1) Legends Class. Age 45 and older. No wheelbase breakdown and no cylinder breakdown.

There are no engine or transmission restrictions in the primary class

The above outlines the wheelbase & engine classes. Three different engine size classes in short wheelbase, based upon cylinder, not cubic inch. All medium & long wheelbase run together, regardless of engine size.

As you noted, all safety guidelines & requirements are in the competition section of the website.

Yes, it's pretty wide open. Be safe & have fun!

Where do the buggies (vw) fit in then :uhoh2:

Big K 02-24-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim putman (Post 2257)
Where do the buggies (vw) fit in then :uhoh2:

Do you really want to open that can-o-worms?

:nono:

mjp1080 02-24-2009 04:35 PM

thanks guys. I was primarily concered about having to find a jeep body that I could afford, they seem to be getting scarce, but I guess I dont have to sweat it. Another thing I was wondering is if you are running lockers in the front or open carriers to help them turn, and whats a good tire size, 31's,33's?

Robwillys 02-24-2009 05:23 PM

It seams there is about a 50/50 split between running the front end open, and running some sort of limited slip in the front. Most of the racers run 30-31 inch tires, it seams to be about the smallest size you can get in a variety of tread patterns, and it helps keep the center of gravity lower. Ground clearance is usually not an issue.

As for the buggies, there is a 2wd class that was set up for the buggies and sand rails to come play too. I know it is a 4 wheel drive association, but realistically the only reason to not want them to be out there playing with us, is the buggie guys and gals that do come to the PNW races are very good drivers, and it is not uncommon to see them running off for top eliminater against the big motor guys, and winning.

I personally enjoy seeing them out there running with us, and am looking forward to our new side by side class growing.

Big K 02-24-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjp1080 (Post 2262)
thanks guys. I was primarily concered about having to find a jeep body that I could afford, they seem to be getting scarce, but I guess I dont have to sweat it. Another thing I was wondering is if you are running lockers in the front or open carriers to help them turn, and whats a good tire size, 31's,33's?

Someone will clue you in to who has the mold for the FG "racer" shells. I think I know who, but it might have moved since then?

No more than 31's. keep it low. Lots are running radials now, myself included. Different schools of thought...???

My old rig was open, my current has PL. It's also short and underpowered. I might be faster in it. Might not. Because it's short? Posi front? The other one had more HP & I can't keep my foot out of it-always out of shape? I just can't drive?

Who knows? I really don't care. I still keep comiong out to the races...

jim putman 02-24-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big K (Post 2268)
Someone will clue you in to who has the mold for the FG "racer" shells. I think I know who, but it might have moved since then?

No more than 31's. keep it low. Lots are running radials now, myself included. Different schools of thought...???

My old rig was open, my current has PL. It's also short and underpowered. I might be faster in it. Might not. Because it's short? Posi front? The other one had more HP & I can't keep my foot out of it-always out of shape? I just can't drive?

Who knows? I really don't care. I still keep comiong out to the races...

I "believe" Dan Bowers and a partner have the molds for the jeep shells. Donny (tweak101 on here) had a nice fiberglass flatfender tub for sale for about $300 He is down south at the King of the hammers race but you could pm him anyway.

Robwillys 02-27-2009 01:07 PM

Yes, Dan and Heath have one set of molds, the one piece stretched nose flat fender race shell and floor mold.

I also have molds for the stock length stock width "Parkette" body, as well as the "Bobcat" molds for flat fender hoods,fenders,and grills. I also have a one piece front end mold for short nose CJ5, and the fenders and hood molds for the longer nose CJ5.

I have had several that would like hoods and fenders, and am looking for someone set up to do fiberglass work, as I am not..... I Purchased the molds because I didn't want them to get lost, and having 3 flattys I figured I could always use parts.