Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Cherokee Master

Default How about a new "Class IV" OHV in Oregon

For all members and non members that reside or play in Oregon, looking for some input and comments on establishing a new OHV class here. I am looking at somehere around 55 to 59 inch minimum width, and 1500 to 2000 lb minimum weight. This would end up being primarly a class for 4x4 vehicles.

Sand rails, buggies, side by side quads would still be in class II

A run down of what we now have:

Class I- 3 or 4 wheeled vehicle, 50 inch or less width and 800lb or less.

Class II- 4x4, sand rail, buggy, side by side quads, and pretty much everything that does not fit in the other two classes.

Class III- 2 wheel vehicle, 600 lb or less.

Let me know what you think, this is going to be my push for this year.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
that WOHVA guy

What is the advantage to another class?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Cherokee Master

I think that we might have a better chance of getting trails designated for 4x4 use if we are a dedicated class. USFS can't seem to figure out all of the different vehicles that are lumped into class II as it now stands.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 AM
that WOHVA guy

Would you split the old class II by 4x4 vs 2 wheel drive...with a min width/weight? Better question...where would this rig fit in?

Specs are:
80" outside of tire to outside of tire
4000 lbs
106" wheelbase
body is 55" wide
titled as a 92 YJ (some of the frame is still there), but licensed as an ORV in WA

Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Cherokee Master

There was some discussion at the state meeting on the 17th. The atv committee is thinking of doing something along these lines, but it is very early in the thought process. Feeling was to keep us in class II and move the side by side quads to a new class. I would like to see a 55 inch min. width, 1500 lb min. weight and 4 wheel drive as the specs for what would remain in class II, and move everything else to anothr class. I was originally thinking "class IV for 4x4's", kind of like the old "channel 4 for 4 wheelers" cb thing Your pictured rig and the specs given would fall directly in that framework.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
There was some discussion at the state meeting on the 17th. The atv committee is thinking of doing something along these lines, but it is very early in the thought process. Feeling was to keep us in class II and move the side by side quads to a new class. I would like to see a 55 inch min. width, 1500 lb min. weight and 4 wheel drive as the specs for what would remain in class II, and move everything else to anothr class. I was originally thinking "class IV for 4x4's", kind of like the old "channel 4 for 4 wheelers" cb thing Your pictured rig and the specs given would fall directly in that framework.
Sounds reasonable. I have heard Arlene talk about ORV tab fees helping to fund the majority of 4x4 projects. Do the different classes in Oregon fund only specific types of trails...or is it all added to the same account & used for the benefit of all offroad trails/facilities?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Cherokee Master

Our program funds the aquisition, development, and maint. of OHV areas, as well as education and enforcement. The allocation committee meets several times a year to review applications and disburse funding. Sticker fees and a percentage of the fuel tax is where the $ come from. They survey every so often to see how much fuel/miles are used off-highway and calculate from that. We were told that right now that the entire OHV/ATV program is running at just about 10 million a year for what they get and spend. Some projects are class specific, and lately funding is more likely if all classes have opportunity, and points are added as a bonus if class II is in the project. We are run out of the state parks and rec department. Oregon does has a reciprical setup with holders of equivilent permits/stickers from other states, ie. your Washington sticker is good in Oregon.

Last edited by Art Waugh; 01-20-2009 at 12:08 PM.