Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Washington Trails Green and Wet

Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
that WOHVA guy

Default The Official Merrick Sanctioned Washington Trail Repair Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
We really need to get that approach fixed on the kaner bridge
I made it onto the bridge

and it does need some lovin'
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Nice pics and a great report

We really need to get that approach fixed on the kaner bridge

In the last few years the Kaner Trail has been hammered. I've been asked if I could coordinate some volunteer groups to work the Naches District Trails as well as continue efforts in the Cle Elum District. In the coming months I will work to assemble a volunteer user group. I'm not sure if it would be better to have an "Adopt A Trail" type program or just ask for help from thruout the user groups.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
In the last few years the Kaner Trail has been hammered. I've been asked if I could coordinate some volunteer groups to work the Naches District Trails as well as continue efforts in the Cle Elum District. In the coming months I will work to assemble a volunteer user group. I'm not sure if it would be better to have an "Adopt A Trail" type program or just ask for help from thruout the user groups.

Merrick...

The Wheelers of Washington Association would like to help out...many of our members use this trail & it would be nice to see some of the bridges fixed. The bridges should be the easiest line across a wet area...not the most challenging obstacle.

What is the easiest way to fix the approach? My first reaction would be to dump a bunch of 6 inch rock into the mud hole & create a stable approach to the bridge. Will the FS purchase some rock & have it delivered close to the work site? I might be able to borrow a 4x4 tractor to help load the rock...also, depending on availability, we might be able to bring over our rock hauling trailer.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Merrick...

The Wheelers of Washington Association would like to help out...many of our members use this trail & it would be nice to see some of the bridges fixed. The bridges should be the easiest line across a wet area...not the most challenging obstacle.

What is the easiest way to fix the approach? My first reaction would be to dump a bunch of 6 inch rock into the mud hole & create a stable approach to the bridge. Will the FS purchase some rock & have it delivered close to the work site? I might be able to borrow a 4x4 tractor to help load the rock...also, depending on availability, we might be able to bring over our rock hauling trailer.

Thoughts?
I can not begin to think of how much rock has been dumped at the many bridge approachs on the Kaner. Rock is stock piled at a couple locations on the Kaner. Sometimes it is easy to direct a truck with ditch gleamings to dump at accessible locations. But you take what you get and that is somewhat the problem. As you say the rock should be of the large rip/rap type so that it does not splash out. The Naches does have a trail size dump trailer that heavier rigs can negoiate the trails with.

Something that has worked in Cle Elum are surplus tank tracks placed on the trail tread with the rubber side up. I am researching where to get them as the old supply is almost gone and the Yakima Firing range does not have them any more.

Another method may be to take a lesson from the Little Rattlesnake and use the concrete boat launch logs.

Both methods would work but they may be rather expensive. It may be we use a combination of hardened surfaces and rock until we could get funding to harden all the bridge approachs. The Lilly Pond Bypass also needs bridge approach work.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:17 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
I can not begin to think of how much rock has been dumped at the many bridge approachs on the Kaner. Rock is stock piled at a couple locations on the Kaner. Sometimes it is easy to direct a truck with ditch gleamings to dump at accessible locations. But you take what you get and that is somewhat the problem. As you say the rock should be of the large rip/rap type so that it does not splash out. The Naches does have a trail size dump trailer that heavier rigs can negoiate the trails with.

Something that has worked in Cle Elum are surplus tank tracks placed on the trail tread with the rubber side up. I am researching where to get them as the old supply is almost gone and the Yakima Firing range does not have them any more.

Another method may be to take a lesson from the Little Rattlesnake and use the concrete boat launch logs.

Both methods would work but they may be rather expensive. It may be we use a combination of hardened surfaces and rock until we could get funding to harden all the bridge approachs. The Lilly Pond Bypass also needs bridge approach work.
Does the road bed cloth stuff help keep the rock from sinking into the earth...we used some on the upper section of Sunrise Trail at Elbe...then tossed the bigger rock directly on top.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Does the road bed cloth stuff help keep the rock from sinking into the earth...we used some on the upper section of Sunrise Trail at Elbe...then tossed the bigger rock directly on top.
Yes, cloth is a good thing, it works well. Think of rock as a fluid. The smaller stuff will litterly splash out of where it is placed. Larger (double fist size) will tend to lock up and stay put better when properly placed. Getting what (size and type) you need is the hard part (far from supply) (even if the mountain is made of it). You just can't take from a pit or a rock field. Stockpiles belong to Roads. Trails would need permission or even have to purchase and pay (different FS Dept's) for delievery. You would still have the user abuse problem and the material would require continuious maint. That is why a hardened surface may be preferable. Not sure what a boat launch log weights but a tank track section is 450lbs+.

Yes, Dan, please move the trail repair talk to it's own thread.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNirvana View Post
As long as we are hijacking your thread
Can we start a new thread & move the bridge repair talk over to it???
Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Can we start a new thread & move the bridge repair talk over to it???

Sure if you like I can move the bridge related posts over to a new thread if you want to start one.
I'm enjoying the conversation and would like to get out there and help myself.
Good Stuff.
It is kinda nice to put the pics to a problem and then hear the solution however.
Whatever you guys would like to do.
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:

The Offroad animals have a adopt a trail agreement for the westside of Naches and I put in a request for them with the Naches district last year to do the east side as well. We never have heard anything back from Naches. It would be great if we could get a few clubs to "step up" and do the adopt a trail thing. If not then it would be great if you or someone would get some "official" work parties going to get some of these spots repaired.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM
that WOHVA guy

Maybe we should move the Kaner repair discussion to a new thread?

Back on topic:

Merrick, I am also interested to see any pics that you have from Funny Rocks...I think I saw your camera out when the Climax crew was putting on a show.