Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Racers Edge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Racers Edge Race Repair Repeat

Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default Competition Rule Changes 03/2011

1st All Automatic Transmission must have minimum of 3/8 conveyor belting, 1" head of flywheel to tail shaft that is securely fastened, with recommended explosion proof blankets and or bell housing, transmission cover that is SFI approved.

2nd All Competition vehicles are required to have both front and rear drivelines a minimum of inch thick by 1 inch wide with a minimum of 2 inch clearance around driveline, securely fastened. Drive line loop is to be center to 2/3 to front of vehicle.

3rd Fabrication bars: Minimum of 1 5/8 OD tubing with a minimum of 0.090 wall thickness, or 1 tubing with a minimum of 0.120 wall thickness. No Threaded fittings, Aluminum and stainless not allowed.

4th Batteries must have metal hold downs over top of battery. Secured to vehicle OEM mounts accepted in Street & Trail class, battery terminals must be protected (covered) from shorting out.
All above rule are in Effect: Immediately.

Any questions please call Dave Taylor
PNW4WDA Competition Chairman
Home 360-668-0719
Cell 206-491-0909
PNW4WDA and Region 2 Public Relations
Real Deal Doe Run Member
Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianamal77 View Post
1st All Automatic Transmission must have minimum of 3/8 conveyor belting, 1" head of flywheel to tail shaft that is securely fastened, with recommended explosion proof blankets and or bell housing, transmission cover that is SFI approved.
Is this what I need for my TH350? What is everyone else using?

Quote:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSI-833/

CSR Performance Products has expanded their world famous composite flexplate shield to include their SUPER SHIELD, incredibly light one piece flexplate / transmission shield. Made from today's toughest aerospace composites. Weighing less than 5 lbs, including all hardware. Designed to fit under the OEM floorboards and eliminate the expensive cost of aftermarket heavy cast aluminum bell housings and cases. Installation is fast and simple utilizing just 4 special bolts and a kevlar strap. Meets S.F.I. specifications 30.1 Flexplate shield and specification 4.1. Transmission shield.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Has some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Is this what I need for my TH350? What is everyone else using?
Not my place to answer but it's my understanding that this is acceptable.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Not my place to answer but it's my understanding that this is acceptable.
Are there other options? I saw blankets & partial shields, but I thought it has to cover the entire transmission...bell housing to tailshaft? This was the only product that seemed to cover it all.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Has some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Are there other options? I saw blankets & partial shields, but I thought it has to cover the entire transmission...bell housing to tailshaft? This was the only product that seemed to cover it all.
I know there are guys who use the blankets and that would be easier to install but like you say they don't cover the bell. There is a product called an ultra bell for just the bell but it's spendy and not easy to install. I think the product you listed is about the easiest one that covers the whole package..short of using a conveyor belt or something like that.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM

I know this might sound a little silly, but what I did was use 2 blankets.. One in the correct position and then one in front of it that covers the bell housing.

The blankets are about 89.00 from Summit and a whole lot easier to install than the shields. I have one of shields but I'll be darned if I could make it fit in under the floor covers.

The biggest problem you will have is that the Turbo 350 and the dana 20 dont leave a whole lot of room to get the blanket or the straps around the bottom without driveline interference. Good luck, it's a pain in the arse!, but I was able to do it.

WR

By the way, I was right behind the guy who had the transmission explosion last year. I think this is a good rule. We/he are lucky no one was killed!