Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage > RV Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RV Tech Big or Small

Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Golf cart batteries

Our 2006 26' Class C likes to eat batteries if we are dry camping and the temps get so low that the heater runs alot overnight. I have heard that two 6 volt golf cart batteries set in-line do a much better job holding a charge and recharge much faster. Anyone done this, or have any info?? I hate firing up the gen in the middle of the night or early in the morn. Thanks. Dave

Tri City Peakputter member
Forest Watch Volunteer
Region 4 PNW4WDA Member
Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

One of the guys in our club with an 8' S&S truck camper upgraded to twin 6volt batteries. He's extremely pleased with the additional reserve capacity. Bought the batteries at Baydo's. Camping World usually has a stack of these batteries. Another club member previously had a Class A motorhome with the same upgrade. He was also very happy with the results. I'm waiting on my OEM batteries to die before upgrading.

06' CTD
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Washington State Director

PM "wrongway" hes the manager of a battery store in moses lake and is a guru to all things electric on a vehicle. Hes out of town for a few days I think but will be back soon. something about laying around in the sand down south or such
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA

Last edited by jim putman; 02-07-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Just a jeeper

I have 2 6v batteries in my 9.5' Snowriver truck camper and can go almost a week of dry camping without a recharge, I've been very happy them.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanx guys.

Tri City Peakputter member
Forest Watch Volunteer
Region 4 PNW4WDA Member
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM
"OLD GUY"

Yes Dave 2 six volt golf cart batteries will out perform by a factor of 3 2 12 volt deep cycle batteries. We have a region meeting, this week ... I cant remember if it is in Moses Lake at my store or if it is next month! I carry a lot of these batteries in stock and at a good price to PNW4WDA members. I use a variant on my camper and can go for 11 days running the heater 24-7 and not recharge.
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Is this 6v deal a conversion or are they put in series or what you have peaked my interest. Has anyone ever set up a solar panel set up? I was considering this to keep my batteries charged with solar power when im out dry camping.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
"OLD GUY"

Yes the 6 volt batteries are put in series to make 12 volt. The secret to a long life between charging is to pack as much lead in the space allowed. That means a premium battery from a reputable battery outlet, not a Schucks or Parts Plus or some thing like that. We sell Trojan batteries, they are probably the best deep cycle battery on the market today. Why? because all they sell is deep cycle, they dont make any other type of battery. Now solar panels, we also have taken on the sunwize solar line that makes several different panels and has a solar kit especially for R.V.'s. You can go to the sunwize solar web site and they have a chart and calculator to determine what size panels you need. They come in a kit with everything you need to install a panel on your RV, right down to the last nut bolt and washer and no special tool are needed. Solar panels are a great way to keep your batteries topped off but they are a little pricey, but worth every penny in the long run.
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
Yes the 6 volt batteries are put in series to make 12 volt. The secret to a long life between charging is to pack as much lead in the space allowed. That means a premium battery from a reputable battery outlet, not a Schucks or Parts Plus or some thing like that. We sell Trojan batteries, they are probably the best deep cycle battery on the market today. Why? because all they sell is deep cycle, they dont make any other type of battery. Now solar panels, we also have taken on the sunwize solar line that makes several different panels and has a solar kit especially for R.V.'s. You can go to the sunwize solar web site and they have a chart and calculator to determine what size panels you need. They come in a kit with everything you need to install a panel on your RV, right down to the last nut bolt and washer and no special tool are needed. Solar panels are a great way to keep your batteries topped off but they are a little pricey, but worth every penny in the long run.
Well....I guess I know who to get my next set of batteries from... Now I just need to figure out if these ones are dead....Gotta be at least 10 year old trojans...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Kelda Hagemeier

We do, and it works great!
Shindig Wheeler Member #1
Region 4