Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

View Poll Results: Should we add a separate section for Naches/Manastash Area Trails?
Yes 14 82.35%
No 0 0%
Pizza & Beer 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 PM
that WOHVA guy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
How long will the poll be open?
I'd say the public has spoken...

10 in support
3 for pizza & beer

sounds like a winner :super:
Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Member since 1996

In reference to using general common names for trails and areas OR using actual trail numbers...

I have one very important thing to say about that:

If/when we have to call 911 for an emergency the call/dispatch center will have NO idea where Tri-Pod Flats is or where The Shoestring Trail is.

I highly suggest we use the trail numbers as defined by the land management companies. It will make think things much safer and easier going forward.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Old Goat

We have been on many major rescues. Those on their way have 'NO CLUE" as to where they are going. Unless they frequent the area. The way we have worked it is GPS coordinates. That gives them a universal language they can work from. They are trained in map reading. We gave a BlackHawk lat lon coordinates and he flew direct to us from the Yakima Firing Range.

As a side note enhanced 911 does infact have mulitple names and street numbers for the same location. Steet names change from time to time. The old names are researched and cross-referenced.

Of another note always try your cell phone. It will surprize you that often you can get out.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Member since 1996

GPS is good if you know how to read one as well as give coordinates based on one. I am what most consider an electronic guru. I always have the latest and greatest gadgets and such, BUT I cannot figure out GPS coordinates no matter what I do.

I do know how to read Section, Township and Range on maps so at least if I can't give GPS coord's I can give S, T & R.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelingPlus.com View Post
GPS is good if you know how to read one as well as give coordinates based on one. I am what most consider an electronic guru. I always have the latest and greatest gadgets and such, BUT I cannot figure out GPS coordinates no matter what I do.

I do know how to read Section, Township and Range on maps so at least if I can't give GPS coord's I can give S, T & R.
So when you find a bearing post in the forest you know where you are and can pinpoint yourself on the map. That is a skill not many have.

You can run your GPS in what is known as UTM. Was developed by the military. It's so easy that the grunts can work it. Will tell you (in our area) that you are xxx meters east of zone 10 and xxx meters north of the equator. Most FS maps are grided with UTM. Very easy to pinpoint yourself on a map within 10 meters. You can also on most GPS's show UTM and LAT, LON at the same time. Makes it easy to learn LAT LON.

A number of years ago the PNW4WDA had a GPS Seminar. We should discuss doing that again.

I still vote that for the trails section they (the trail) should be listed within the FS or DNR section the trail is in.

Last edited by Merrick Graves; 01-25-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Member since 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
So when you find a bearing post in the forest you know where you are and can pinpoint yourself on the map. That is a skill not many have.

A number of years ago the PNW4WDA had a GPS Seminar. We should discuss doing that again.
Yup I know what the markings on the white posts mean. I used to have each section in the Manastash area memorized in order so I knew which section I was driving into and out of depending on which direction I was going.

I agree we need the GPS seminar again. I'll be the 1st one signed up.