Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Evans Creek Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Washington State Director

Default White river meeting (may)

White River Recreation Users
* Next Meeting on Tuesday May 11, 2010
7:00 9:00 p.m.
at the department of Natural Resources Conference Building, at the corner of Highway 410 and Farmen Road, in Enumclaw.

Agenda Topics:
Recreation Update
- 2010 Season Projects update
- Volunteer agreements for 2010
- Volunteer workparties 2010

Other Topics

For further information, contact Bob Pacific at (360) 802-5310 or Mary Coughlin at (360) 802-5309
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
rollin

Is there any news to share from the mentioned meeting? Can you speak to the width restrictions conversations if any were had?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Sorry I was tied up on Tuesday night dealing with a property line dispute so I didnt make it. From what I have gathered there was some discussion of a 72-74" width restriction on the books from when the park was created. The FS is looking into putting that restriction into force (much like the seasonal clouser)
Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
rollin

At some point there really needs to be some discussion about width requirements on trails.
Going forward all of our vintage, narrow rigs( my 74.5 inches will already be illegal at Evans and I roll on 33's) will be in the minority. If you check out all of the newer jeeps that will be modified are built from the factory- are already wider without modifications. I am looking for the specs sheet, but almost all of the newer jeeps are over this width requirment. When are we going to catch up to reality? If we want to attract new members and share the joy of offroading this will have to be considered. Please tell me someone is listening to me? Please also feel free to move this to wherever it needs to be posted, probably not here.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM

We listen to everyone especially our members whom we represent. That's why if you look at the Thread going on NWW about this I said We don't have a opinion as yet. We will discuss this at the next region meeting on Thursday 5/20/10 but some on line discussion on here is great as well. The FS has been looking at ways to keep the trails within the guidelines that they MUST follow. I have a feeling that there will be new restrictions coming down the line. This may effect width , tire size, length, . We are already seeing time restrictions on when the trails will be open.

I see no reason as to why not to discuss it here. No matter where we do discuss it what ever is said will find its way out onto the web anyway. As I said We will discuss at the region meeting and the region will tell Derick and myself what our position is going to be and we will work with that.

Last edited by jim putman; 05-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
rollin

Thank you Jim. I think this warrants at least a conversation. Looking down the road these are the specs of the jeeps we will/are see(ing) on the trails. Keep in mind that most likely be modified.

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/vsmc/vehic...ode=CUJ201006# Go to Dimensions & Capacities on the left, check out the widths

Let's discuss
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol View Post
At some point there really needs to be some discussion about width requirements on trails.
Going forward all of our vintage, narrow rigs (my 74.5 inches will already be illegal at Evans and I roll on 33's) will be in the minority. If you check out all of the newer jeeps that will be modified are built from the factory- are already wider without modifications. I am looking for the specs sheet, but almost all of the newer jeeps are over this width requirment. When are we going to catch up to reality? If we want to attract new members and share the joy of offroading this will have to be considered. Please tell me someone is listening to me? Please also feel free to move this to wherever it needs to be posted, probably not here.
I am listening Nichol & couldn't agree more.

We should be working with the Forest Service to rewrite these outdated regulations that DO NOT apply in today's world. I understand that 70 inches hub-to-hub was absolutely appropriate when these areas were originally developed, BUT times have changed & so have the rigs we see using our trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
We listen to everyone especially our members whom we represent. That's why if you look at the Thread going on NWW about this I said We don't have a opinion as yet. We will discuss this at the next region meeting on Thursday 5/20/10 but some on line discussion on here is great as well. The FS has been looking at ways to keep the trails within the guidelines that they MUST follow. I have a feeling that there will be new restrictions coming down the line. This may effect width , tire size, length, . We are already seeing time restrictions on when the trails will be open.

I see no reason as to why not to discuss it here. No matter where we do discuss it what ever is said will find its way out onto the web anyway. As I said We will discuss at the region meeting and the region will tell Derick and myself what our position is going to be and we will work with that.
I guess I will see you at the next region meeting then
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
As I said We will discuss at the region meeting and the region will tell Derick and myself what our position is going to be and we will work with that.
Taking your comments into consideration & the width poll we started awhile back...is it safe to assume the region will advise you to fight the width restriction?

If you click on the link above, you will notice that only 22% of the rigs would satisfy the 70 inch rule currently on the FS rulebooks.

A similar width poll over on NWW only had 8% of rigs that would meet the 70 inch rule.

Let's hear some discussion.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Taking your comments into consideration & the width poll we started awhile back...is it safe to assume the region will advise you to fight the width restriction?

If you click on the link above, you will notice that only 22% of the rigs would satisfy the 70 inch rule currently on the FS rulebooks.

A similar width poll over on NWW only had 8% of rigs that would meet the 70 inch rule.

Let's hear some discussion.
I simply cant say Bryan. We will have to wait to discuss it and hear. Their direction will make my position on the matter. Do you remember the fiasco that happened last time when someone played chicken little and got everyone all riled up over lies and rumors ? Its NOT gonna happen from my end. There will be a process to follow and we will follow it Things like this just dont happen over night so theres no panic or need for a knee jerk responce.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
I simply cant say Bryan. We will have to wait to discuss it and hear. Their direction will make my position on the matter.
What is there to discuss? The rule is outdated & should be changed...both associations should be working together to make this happen.