Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Rimrock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Default Little Rattlesnake Trail - Restrictions/Requirement

The following was received from the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Supervisor's Office addressing the Little Rattlesnake travel restrictions and requirements.

ORDER # 715

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.55 (d), the following acts are prohibited on National Forest System Four Wheel Drive Trail 15011680 (Little Rattlesnake) in Township 15 North Range 14 East, Section 32 and 33; and Township 14 North, Range 14 East, Sections 5,6,and 7; within the Naches District of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest:

(1) For the purpose of this order, operating a vehicle in violation of the width, height, length or other limitations specified by this order.

(a) Vehicles are not to exceed 75 inches in width as measured from outside of tire to outside of tire; and
(b) Vehicle wheelbase is not to exceed 95 inches in length from center of axle to center of axle.
(c) Vehicles will be allowed to travel in one direction only (west to southwest) from the terminus of Little Rattlesnake Forest System Road 1501 (Township 15 North, Range 14 East, Section 32) to Bethel Ridge Forest System Road 1500 (Township 14 North, Range 14 East, Section 7). (36 CFR 261.55 (d).

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (e), the following persons are exempt from this order:

(1) Persons with a permit or written authorization specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
(2) Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.

Done at Wenatchee, Washington this 9th day of July, 2010.

/s/ Clinton D. Kyhl
Rebecca Lockett Heath, Forest Supervisior,
Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest

Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. (16 USC 551 and 18 USC 3559 and 3571). ###

Arlene Brooks, WA State Director

Last edited by Arlene Brooks; 07-13-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM

THANKS FOR THINKING OF ALL OF US & THE SO-CALLED SUPPORT! This is basically a private trail now, who or what can run it?

Seven years I've been bird-dogging this trail...just totally frustrated
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Can't run it in our Scout II. Too much wheelbase. And I ain't gonna buy a Jeep so I'll "fit in"

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 AM
HIT IT!!

H@!! My cherokee isnt allowed on it, theres a well spent chunk of change just to get on one more trail.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
"OLD GUY"

I am sorry you guys feel that way. Back in the day, the shoestring and the Kaner , and all the other trails for that matter, used to be that way too,(tight) but bigger rigs were allowed to "try" the trails and now you can take a "semi" through them. So now the guys with the small rigs have a trail that will give them a challenge, and you think it is unfair. I think you are a little "narrow" minded in your thinking. Be glad that a trail that was closed, is open again! Maybe you should go and play at Reiter.... ooops I forgot they closed it because too many big rigs went in there and tore it up! Dont call when something good occurs but dosent allow you to participate. Check one of my bylines, Build your rig to fit the trails, dont change the trails to fit your rig. This pretty much says it all.
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Pimp of the woods

I have a couple question about this

Who is responsible for the 75"X95" wheelbase restriction?

How were these numbers determined?

Did the PNW4WDA do anything to try to get this restriction brought to a realistic number more current with todays rigs?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
"OLD GUY"

As you can see by Arlene's post this was handed down from the Naches Ranger Dist. The PNW had nothing to do with the determination. This size limit came to the PNW in the form of an e-mail.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
"OLD GUY"

You say a more "realistic" number, I believe several manufacturers, broncos ,Jeep TJ, CJ, Suzuki, Toyota,all make rigs that will fit. They just want the trail to stay tight and difficult.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
I am sorry you guys feel that way. Back in the day, the shoestring and the Kaner , and all the other trails for that matter, used to be that way too,(tight) but bigger rigs were allowed to "try" the trails and now you can take a "semi" through them. So now the guys with the small rigs have a trail that will give them a challenge, and you think it is unfair. I think you are a little "narrow" minded in your thinking. Be glad that a trail that was closed, is open again! Maybe you should go and play at Reiter.... ooops I forgot they closed it because too many big rigs went in there and tore it up! Dont call when something good occurs but dosent allow you to participate. Check one of my bylines, Build your rig to fit the trails, dont change the trails to fit your rig. This pretty much says it all.
Well said Dave. And in the same vein I don't get all bent out of shape because I'm not allowed to run my Jeep on an ATV trail. One trail is not gonna kill someone to stay off of. If someone wants to run any trail out there they should buy a horse.

Any official word yet on when it will be open to run?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
I do remember those days, but it was the lumber companies that went in an punched in the roads that opened the Kaner also. I do remember the L-Rsnk before it was dropped down into the bottom of the draw. I was hoping it would be put back up on the sidehill as it was

I for one am not a 'reiter type' as you're referencing, so who's being narrow minded. I have built my jeep for the trails and have kept in mind ALL the trails when building it. I've put in many weekends, days & hours in re-opening the L-Rnsk & other trails over the years, as it was always our groups lead in into Rimrock.

I can accept the limitiations, I have no choice, I'm just dissapointed that I can't continue to run this trail, due to reasons that I feel were part of an agenda... I won't get into a debate on this as it'll come out in the year to come I'm sure. As it is on another forum, this agenda was laid out by a reputable source IMO

The direction of thought to me should be towards the one's who feel that they have the right to modify the trails to fit their selfish needs by cutting down trees,mudding the meadows etc. These are the one's who are ruining it for us all, these are the one's IMO that should have the penalties applied to...just my rant