Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage > RV Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RV Tech Big or Small

Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Default Led conversion

I replaced the five halogen lights in my Arctic Fox 811 truck camper with G4 LED's. I measured amperage at the fuse. The single Halogen entry light has a draw of 1.63amps. The four Halogens have a draw of 6.36amps. All five together draw 7.97amps.

Led single entry light is .17amp. 4 led lights draw .73amp. 5 led lights draw .91amp.
The Leds do flicker on the dimmer at low levels. About 60% power and above is great.

I already replaced the bed reading lights, kitchen and bathroom with led. I didn't take any measurements for those lights.

I also installed a new Kenwood HD deck. At Standby with no music it draws .41amp. With the faceplate popped off but ready to go the draw drops to .06amp then 0.00amp.

The Halogens get real hot. I'm also thinking I should change the fuse to a lower rating.

Here's where I bought my stuff.
http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/af-nash.htm

06' CTD
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you for that very informational report, I have been thinking of changing to LEDs in my coach, now I am going to get off my duff and get r done.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
Thank you for that very informational report, I have been thinking of changing to LEDs in my coach, now I am going to get off my duff and get r done.
Haven't spent the bucks to do an LED conversation to the camper. I have however done it to 2 jeep vehicles in the fleet. That conversion gives me piece of mind as I know of the reliabality of these lamps.

On the other hand I have done a home conversiation of most lamps to Compact flourscent and LED Lamps. The energy cost seem to be less each month but the lighting comes with many advantages. One of which is in the bathroom in the middle of the night. CFL start at a low intensity and glow to full brightness. This seems to work well for me on the late nite excursions I make. No bright light blindless. I also have LED floodlights which use nothing powerwise compared to the old lighting. The wife bought LED christmas lights and we paid for them in one season with reduced power cost. The whole house is now done in less than 40 watts where before it was 4000 watts.

In my career as an electrician I have cured many a circuit problem with LED and CFL lamps. I do believe in them. Maybe I'll get the the RV.