Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Evans Creek Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
rollin

Can you explain why? I already know your answer but it would be great to just put it out there......
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol View Post
Can you explain why? I already know your answer but it would be great to just put it out there......
Because its still the same park we built and maintained for years. Yes the rules have tightened up a bit recently but many of us still have rigs that were built for what the park is or was supposed to be and still fit withen the guidelines.

We are still working on changing the width rule but this may take a little time to convince the FS that they need to "modernize" a little bit

While were at it would you care to explain why you wont be using or supporting the park anymore ?

Will this change if we manage to get the width restriction widened to 80" ?
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Alright, I have been reading this and have to vent a bit. So PNW4WDA has been donating our time and efforts to maintaining Evans Creek. We also spend time as an organization and clubs hosting the campground. How will this pan out when we no longer show up to clean up trash and maintain trails that we can no longer run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Many of us are still planning on coming and taking care of the park as we always have.
I fully expected you to tell her to build her rig to fit the trails

Bob needs to get with the times & relax the restriction.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
I fully expected you to tell her to build her rig to fit the trails

Bob needs to get with the times & relax the restriction.
Ever talk to Bob about the new enviromental restrictions. Bob has said (on more than one occasion) if Evans was to be built today it couldn't because of these new standards. More has changed than just the vehicles and the user base thru the years. I say we are lucky to have someone like Bob in the position he is in.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Friends

As far as I Know you have to have mudd flaps on the main road, trails I would not think so , I just till people to be steet legal on the main roads.The war stories we here about, your vechile needs to be street legal on the roads as far as I know , Just tring to make sure customers dont have a bad experence at evans creek, Thanks - Bob
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM
rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Because its still the same park we built and maintained for years. Yes the rules have tightened up a bit recently but many of us still have rigs that were built for what the park is or was supposed to be and still fit withen the guidelines.

We are still working on changing the width rule but this may take a little time to convince the FS that they need to "modernize" a little bit.

While were at it would you care to explain why you wont be using or supporting the park anymore ?

Will this change if we manage to get the width restriction widened to 80" ?
yes, my parents generation helped to build "that park" with their 3B high hood which I'm pretty sure died of old age.

the "many of us still have rigs that were built....." is a small minority. As an organization- we suggested 80 inches as that was the popular vote, granted it was a suggestion. Clearly they didn't hear our voice.

As for changing the width rule, a new jeep off of the factory floor is way wider than this. How do we acquire new members if we can't accomodate them?

Yes, the FS needs to modernize and listen to their actual user group. Some might call us........wait for it...... gasp, customers.....There are more 75 inch plus wheelers out there than 72 and less.

Why wont I be using the park in my backyard? I don't "fit" there anymore at 74, neither do the majority of my somewhat conservative width club. Why would I offer to host at the campground and participate in clean ups if I can't wheel there too? I am all for being a good volunteer, but people want the WIFit, or What's In It For Me? I do not visit Evan's alot, but I rarely see hikers, Mtn Bikers etc out there picking up trash.

Evans is not known for being the hardest wheeling in the PNW, but it fills a void for Reiter and takes some load off of Elbe for part of the year.
If the width restriction was 80 inches, this would be less of a big deal.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtybird View Post
As far as I Know you have to have mudd flaps on the main road, trails I would not think so , I just till people to be steet legal on the main roads.The war stories we here about, your vechile needs to be street legal on the roads as far as I know , Just tring to make sure customers dont have a bad experence at evans creek, Thanks - Bob
Thanks Bob I always appreciate your outreach to customers on playing by the rules. I just thought you should see this since it involved your name. Jim

BTW to anybody that cares we are talking about two differant Bobs here. Dirtybird is Bob from Billy Bobs and the Bob Merrick refered to is the FS ranger that oversees Evans creek.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
Ever talk to Bob about the new enviromental restrictions. Bob has said (on more than one occasion) if Evans was to be built today it couldn't because of these new standards. More has changed than just the vehicles and the user base thru the years. I say we are lucky to have someone like Bob in the position he is in.
I understand that the enviro laws/climate has changed a bunch since everything was planned out on Bob & Arlene Brooks' hood, but what the heck does that have to do with width restrictions?

I thought the FS had some flexibility to work within a certain width range? At least that is how the new rules are written...

Looks to me that if Evan's was built today that he could allow as wide as 84" and still fall within current FS regulations.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Friends

Thanks Jim , If there is anyway I can let people know the right info please let me know , glad to pass the it on to my customers, thanks again.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
yes, my parents generation helped to build "that park" with their 3B high hood which I'm pretty sure died of old age.

the "many of us still have rigs that were built....." is a small minority. As an organization- we suggested 80 inches as that was the popular vote, granted it was a suggestion. Clearly they didn't hear our voice.

As for changing the width rule, a new jeep off of the factory floor is way wider than this. How do we acquire new members if we can't accomodate them?

Yes, the FS needs to modernize and listen to their actual user group. Some might call us........wait for it...... gasp, customers.....There are more 75 inch plus wheelers out there than 72 and less.

Why wont I be using the park in my backyard? I don't "fit" there anymore at 74, neither do the majority of my somewhat conservative width club. Why would I offer to host at the campground and participate in clean ups if I can't wheel there too? I am all for being a good volunteer, but people want the WIFit, or What's In It For Me? I do not visit Evan's alot, but I rarely see hikers, Mtn Bikers etc out there picking up trash.

Evans is not known for being the hardest wheeling in the PNW, but it fills a void for Reiter and takes some load off of Elbe for part of the year.
If the width restriction was 80 inches, this would be less of a big deal.
At this time I have only had one phone conversation with Bob on this matter. We hav'nt even had a meeting with the FS since the region came up with the 80" number. I believe it would be prudent to not jump to conclusions to fast as these proceses take some time to work thru. Shall we say government speed. We will be pushing for the 80" width as this is what was decided by our region.