Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM
<----Busy Wild

Default Good Dogs Bad People

We were wheeling in the Funny Rocks area on Sunday and we saw a couple dogs in the distance.

They looked like a Dalmation Spaniel mix. Beautiful and nice dogs.
They had what we later found out was a shock collar on them.
Apparently and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But the object of the "shock collar" is to make the dogs howl so they can locate them.
Apparently these collars work up to a mile and a half.
We were able to get the dogs to come to us where they gulped up clean water and ate like they hadn't eaten in days. We later found out it had been by our best guess around 24 hours.
The shock collars or whatever they use to make them howl had phone numbers on them that allowed us to call the owners and make a rendezvous with them.
The collars offered a reward which we were not offered on returning the dogs and would not have accepted.

The owners said they were hunting grouse with them.
I'm not familiar with proper care of hunting dogs but I generally like dogs better than people and to see these poor guys lost and thirsty and hungry was heartbreaking.

When we pulled up on the gravel road to deliver the dogs to the owners the one older man that appeared to be the dad said to me.
"I hope their feet are bleeding and they are hungry and thirsty"
My first reaction was to tell him exactly how I felt about his comment but the other man that appeared to be his son thanked us nicely several times.

He also told a member of our group. "we lit em up a few times and heard em howl but we weren't able to make them come back"

Am I wrong for his comment eliciting such strong emotion in me?

One person in our party told me they would not have been able to restrain a responding comment.
Another said we should have kept the dogs and sent them to the humane society.
Maybe I don't get the hunting dog thing.

Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Wascaly

hey dan i know this is not what you want to hear but some people only see there dogs as tools not pets but they do spend all the money in the world to make sure that the dogs can hunt for them
Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Cherokee Master

Probably should have held em down and transferred the collars to the owners and hit the buttons till the batteries died, then got a new set of high powers from Dave and started over.

At least the dogs knew someone cared about them for a little while.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
&amp;quot;OLD GUY&amp;quot;

I have just the batteries you need, we would have to rewire the leads as the batteries I have in mind wouldnt fit, you know something like what I set your coach up with!
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:23 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamararabbit View Post
hey dan i know this is not what you want to hear but some people only see there dogs as tools not pets but they do spend all the money in the world to make sure that the dogs can hunt for them

I hear ya Tamara, beasts of burden and all that. Of course they are much more than that to you and I. It was just that callouss statement, then the light em up statement that ticked me off. I just wonder where the line gets crossed between working animal and abuse.
They were skinny as rails but I suppose they are bred that way.
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
I have just the batteries you need, we would have to rewire the leads as the batteries I have in mind wouldnt fit, you know something like what I set your coach up with!
How many would it take to,,,

"light em up"?

Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
Probably should have held em down and transferred the collars to the owners and hit the buttons till the batteries died, then got a new set of high powers from Dave and started over.

At least the dogs knew someone cared about them for a little while.

One was named Annie, the others name was Chase.

That reminds me I better call my sis Anna and wish her a happy birthday..

Art, the thought did cross my mind, but I had a special place for the uh, um..you know what I'm sayin?
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Wascaly

Here is the deffintion for mistreating an animal "any act which permits pain or suffering"

Neglect: "faliure to provide food, water or protection from the elements"

so there you have it those are the deffintions that i was taught at school so the shock collar is a form of an act which permits pain so your right about they are mistreating there animals in are deffinition but some trainers feel it is ok so by law it is not mistreatment and as far as being skinny how much could you feel the ribs? a healthy wheight to a dog is you should be able to feel the ribs but not feel every rib on its own and you really should not be able to feel the rest of the bones
Old 09-27-2010, 02:23 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamararabbit View Post
Here is the deffintion for mistreating an animal "any act which permits pain or suffering"

Neglect: "faliure to provide food, water or protection from the elements"

so there you have it those are the deffintions that i was taught at school so the shock collar is a form of an act which permits pain so your right about they are mistreating there animals in are deffinition but some trainers feel it is ok so by law it is not mistreatment and as far as being skinny how much could you feel the ribs? a healthy wheight to a dog is you should be able to feel the ribs but not feel every rib on its own and you really should not be able to feel the rest of the bones

Yes, Tamara they were beyond skinny. The bones were definitely sticking out. We thought they were bred that way. The girls thought they were puppies but we checked their teeth and we guessed the one girl to be about 6.
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Wascaly

no dogs bones should be able to be seen so far i have been taught that you should be able to feel the ribs not see them so hopfully when they take them to the vet the vet will do somthing about it otherwise there is nothing we can do now just hope they will be taken care of