Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Racers Edge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Racers Edge Race Repair Repeat

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Food Stamp Motorsports

Default Frames?

whats the policy on tube frames, if yes then what diameter and thickness? will still run sheet metal skins and some of the factory tub.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Has some friends

The rules are being updated this year from what I understand but per last years rules tube is fine, no specs for the frame IIRC. The only trouble I had was the roll cage has to be 1-5/8" .095 minimum tube. If you're building a new rig I would wait and see the new rules first.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
R&R

Not sure what you are building or racing but for the most part when I built a new jeep last winter with a tube frame its pretty standard to use 1-3/4 .120 Wall DOM. Some people use chromolly and others use a size bigger tubing depending on size and weight of the rig.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Food Stamp Motorsports

i was thinking 1.75 .120 wall for the main frame and cage. just wanted to know if they were allowed. trying to build 2 and wanted to use stuck frame for trail rig and tube for race rig
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

There is a Safety Rule proposal to be voted on at Winter Convention regarding Roll Cage Steel.

Rule presently reads: Fabrication bars: Minimum of 1-5/8" OD tubing with a minimum of 0.090 wall thickness. No threaded fittings. Aluminum and stainless not allowed.

Proposed rule amendment: Fabrication bars: Minimum of 1-5/8" OD tubing with a minimum of 0.090 wall thickness, or 1 1/2 tubing with a minimum of 2.0 wall thickness. No threaded fittings. Aluminum and stainless not allowed.

The ballot can be found in the December issue of the Tri-Power. To qualify to vote you must be a member of the PNW4WDA in good standing (dues paid) and have a current competition tech number.

There are also 3 other proposals on the ballot. A new rule regarding automatic transmissions, a new rule regarding drive line hoops, and a proposed change regarding batteries.
PNW4WDA and Region 2 Public Relations
Real Deal Doe Run Member
Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Has some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianamal77 View Post
1 1/2 tubing with a minimum of 2.0 wall thickness. To qualify to vote you must be a member of the PNW4WDA in good standing (dues paid) and have a current competition tech number.
Diana how do I get a tech number? I have a number I always use to register but I don't know if it's official.....Also I assume "2.0 wall thickness" is a typo? Is it maybe .120 wall?......
I'm glad to see that someone is following up with these issues. I've been thinking about it lately of how to get the ball rolling but I see it is already.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Washington State Director

Rick, as a individual member you should have a 4 digit number starting with the number 9 as your tech number. It should have been assigned at the first summer convention that you went to at straddleline.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Rick, since you're a member of Region 1, you should get a hold of the Region 1 comp chairman for a number. His name is Wayne Laurent, phone number 206-271-4150.

As for the 2.0 wall thickness, that's how the proposal reads in the Tri-Power, but you're right, that doesn't make sense. I believe Dave Taylor (PNW Comp Chair) submitted the proposal. The purpose of the proposal was to accept other organizations with their cage specifications (yes, he had your and rigs similar to yours in mind ).

I'll have Rob get a hold of him to get the skinny. You can also reach Dave at 206-491-0909.
PNW4WDA and Region 2 Public Relations
Real Deal Doe Run Member
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Has some friends

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Has some friends

This one doesn't make much sense either or maybe I just don't get it....
Quote:
All Competition vehicles are required to have on both front and rear drivelines a minimum of inch thick by 1 inch wide with a minimum of 2 inch
clearance around driveline, securely fastened. Driveline loop is to be center to 2/3 to front of vehicle.
Huh??? Should it read something like....."Driveline loop to be centered to 2/3 towards the front of the front shaft and centered to 2/3 towards the front of the rear shaft."

I don't much like the rule anyways as 1/4" thick is excessive for a shaft which spins at high RPMs.