Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage > Trailer Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trailer Tech The Follower

Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Friends

Default Toy hauler upgrades

Has anybody heard of a kit to beef up the weight capacity in the floor of a garage in a toyhauler. I have a 42 foot cyclone fithwheel toy hauler three axels and I would like to hall my tj in but the weight capacity is only 3000... I can beef up the door thats no problem but the floor is a different story..........
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
The One that Screws it up

or is it?

Maybe it's the springs and frame, or the hubs on the axles, or the tongue capacity. Look at the GVWA on the trailer itself when you add all you wet goods, water and such you could verry well wind up with 10 to 15,000 lbs in that alone, then you add 7,000lb Rig Shoowwweee.

As you see I'm not beyond over loading my rig either.

How much does your tow rig weigh? when you start hauling more weight behind you that your driving things could get squirrely in a second...

Don't mind me I'm not a professional just an armature wanting to tow it all....

DogpoundOffroad
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Friends

Its the floof im wooried about, The trialer is a fithwheel with three axels. The floor is rated for 3000 lbs, I ran my tj across the scales fully fueled with me in it and it only weighed 4250 so that would put total gross at 17920 lbs. I just don't want to blow the floor out of a $70,000 trailer my wife would kill me...... I thought maybe there was a kit for that but I haven't found anything yet !
Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie1030 View Post
Has anybody heard of a kit to beef up the weight capacity in the floor of a garage in a toyhauler. I have a 42 foot cyclone fithwheel toy hauler three axels and I would like to hall my tj in but the weight capacity is only 3000... I can beef up the door thats no problem but the floor is a different story..........
I had a toy hauler that we carried a TJ in. Before I bought it I called the factory and asked about hauling the Jeep. They said the weight was fine but I needed to beef up the floor. After running the numbers I decided to use 3/16's inch diamond plate on the floor that ran the length of where the jeep parked. Then I went to the next size up axles because my wife liked to load every compartment. If you need to stiffen the frame, I would bridge it with flat stock at least 1/4 inch thick the same width as the frame. Then use round tube in varying length to make an inverted truss under the frame. Any good shop could do it if it is above your welding/time capabilities. I hope this helps. Your only other option is to get a Motorhome and a trailer. The door may need some beef also. Use Aluminum channel for the door.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Friends

Yeah I think im going to beef up the floor my self and the door, Ill throw in some more cross members and some heavy duty diamond plate on the door and floor. Thanks for the input..
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
"OLD GUY"

I bought Jon's Toy hauler from him last year and it is a very good and stable way to haul! He did a great job on beefing up the trailer. Best purchase I ever made.
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Friends

As soon as I get some time im going to beef up the floor with some more cross members under the floor and beef up the door, ILL put some heavyduty diamond plate on the top floor and door ....
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
I bought Jon's Toy hauler from him last year and it is a very good and stable way to haul! He did a great job on beefing up the trailer. Best purchase I ever made.
PNW Forum Leader Team Member
Region 6 Delegate
Bend, Oregon
Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaholic View Post
I had a toy hauler that we carried a TJ in. Before I bought it I called the factory and asked about hauling the Jeep. They said the weight was fine but I needed to beef up the floor. After running the numbers I decided to use 3/16's inch diamond plate on the floor that ran the length of where the jeep parked. Then I went to the next size up axles because my wife liked to load every compartment. If you need to stiffen the frame, I would bridge it with flat stock at least 1/4 inch thick the same width as the frame. Then use round tube in varying length to make an inverted truss under the frame. Any good shop could do it if it is above your welding/time capabilities. I hope this helps. Your only other option is to get a Motorhome and a trailer. The door may need some beef also. Use Aluminum channel for the door.
X2
We looked at doing the same thing. Chances are the tires will end up in between the floor joists and with the constant bouncing the rig will do.........the tires will blow through the floor.