Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
that WOHVA guy

Default Rei 25% off

Anyone interested in getting up to 25% off?

Purchases can be made online...special code required. Shoot me your email address & I can send you details...

Last edited by dirk; 04-28-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
rollin

Me! Me!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol View Post
Me! Me!
How many you want? I can drop off the cards if you want to shop at the store...otherwise you can order everything online.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Friends

I may be way off base, but I thought rei spends large amount of money to be anti offroad advocates...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin View Post
I may be way off base, but I thought rei spends large amount of money to be anti offroad advocates...
They support everyone who wants us done in. I will not do business with them, even tho they have stuff I'd like to have. Columbia, North Face, Nike, same deal...

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They support everyone who wants us done in. I will not do business with them, even tho they have stuff I'd like to have. Columbia, North Face, Nike, same deal...
YES...REI is SMART...they view every dollar spent is an investment in their future.

We should be directing our frustration towards the offroad companies that do nothing to financially support our cause.

Why isn't anyone pissed at them?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
that WOHVA guy

I think this explains their donation process the best...

http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/csr/2009...hilosophy.html

Quote:
Giving Philosophy

REI dedicates 3 percent of the previous yearís operating profit to its annual giving budget to help conserve natural spaces and create opportunities for outdoor recreation. Since 1976, we have given $29 million to organizations aligned with our goals to protect our natural heritage and promote the benefits of outdoor recreation. In 2009, we donated $2 million to more than 250 like-minded local and national groups. While the percentage we gave compared to our annual budget is consistent with years past, the economic downturn impacted our earnings, reducing 2009ís giving budget to a level below what we were able to contribute in 2008. For a list of 2009 local and national grants made to conservation and recreation nonprofits, click here.

The majority of REIís giving is focused on grassroots efforts that engage our members and customers in the communities we serve. Our grants program is predominantly guided by employee nominations. We believe that this approach is the most authentic way to invest in communities because REIís nearly 9,500 employees have the strongest connections to the communities where they work, play and volunteer. Because of our community-based approach, we do not accept unsolicited requests and proposals.

While we are pleased to provide financial support to nonprofit organizations, our most important measure of success is the quality of our philanthropic efforts. To best ensure that our giving efforts lead to positive change, we work closely with every grantee to leverage our resources and relationships. We measure every proposal against a set of five criteria Ė impact, substance, involvement, relevance and accountability. Each proposal is also evaluated according to its impact on our goals to increase outdoor recreation and conservation. This helps ensure that our grants are strategic, and create the greatest positive outcome.

The funds REI invested in nonprofit organizations in 2009 delivered the following outcomes:

ē35,306 acres of land and 6,042 miles of trail maintained

ē663,323 hours donated through 76,355 volunteers (via nonprofit grant support).

Wouldn't it be nice if all offroad companies donated 3% of their operating profit to support motorized recreation?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
that WOHVA guy

A complete list of who REI donated to in 2009...

http://www.rei.com/pdf/aboutrei/2009...Recipients.pdf
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Washington State Director

The problem is Bryan as we have discussed before that every dollar that is given to these groups even if dedicated to trails frees up money for them to use against us in their never ending battle to free the woods of motorized use. Years ago I went through the process of applying for a grant to help us build bridges over waterways on the Naches trail. (couldnt get more enviro freindly then that) and was denied because and I qoute "we only support muscle powered sports" I wonder how many mt bikers and hikers use our bridges hmmmmm. Its great that they support their own but ****ed if I will ever support them. And yes it is madning that many of our vendors dont step up but many do and I support them when ever I buy.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
And yes it is madning that many of our vendors dont step up but many do and I support them when ever I buy.
I would be curious to know how much actual cash is donated by the offroad vendors we support? Donating some swag doesn't cut it in my book. We need actual money to finance our efforts.

My point is that if people want to get pissed, then they should direct that energy into something useful...like pushing for more support ($$) from the offroad businesses.