Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
I would be curious to know how much actual cash is donated by the offroad vendors we support? Donating some swag doesn't cut it in my book. We need actual money to finance our efforts.

My point is that if people want to get pissed, then they should direct that energy into something useful...like pushing for more support ($$) from the offroad businesses.
Ask Angie about the $$$ that some of our vendors are giving. I know both Randys ring and pinion and 4 wheel parts have steped up in a big way for the PNW4WDA. Theres also nothing wrong with showing people the companys that support the anti access groups that use their money to chase us out of the woods at every turn. REI is a large supporter of the WTA the hardest working anti access group in our area.

Bottom line is that supporting REI is the same as donating to a anti access group.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 04-29-2011, 08:03 AM
<----Busy Wild

Good discussion..
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Bottom line is that supporting REI is the same as donating to a anti access group.
It sounds so scary when you say it that way...let's take the attention off of what the the opposition is doing & bring the focus down on what the **** we are doing...and look for ways to step up our efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
REI is a large supporter of the WTA the hardest working anti access group in our area.
Yes they are...they gave them $20,000 in 2009 specifically for trail maintenance activities.
http://www.rei.com/pdf/aboutrei/2009...Recipients.pdf
Now what does that have to do with us? We should let them maintain their trails...that is a good thing.

We should be more worried about how we can finance the maintenance on our trails.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Washington State Director

I cant tell if you just don't get it or you just don't want to get it. Even if REI donates funds and designates that they only be used for a specific issue this still frees up money for WTA (and groups like them)to use in their anti access pursuits. If they were only interested in making improvements to hiking trails I would have no issues with them. Unfortunately this is not the way they are. WTA and others spend a great deal of time and resources trying to eliminate motorized use in the woods. To me this makes them bad guys and I refuse as should you to support them.

Sorry Bryan I know this is your employer but they still donate to groups that are anti access and until they decide that this is wrong and that we all deserve a place in the woods I cant and wont support them and will tell everyone as to why they shouldnt either.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I know John Galt

Does anyone still shop @ REI now that Cabelas is local?
Spanaway Moonshiners Jeep Club
-----------------------------------------------
My opinions may only make sense to me, read at your own risk...
Old 04-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Cherokee Master

BFG steps up for OHV with the trails money over the past years.

Just getting a new Cabellas in Springfield, OR. How much do they step up for motorized (maybe fishing and hunting access only?)

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
Does anyone still shop @ REI now that Cabelas is local?
Hate to burst someone's bubble but Cabela's is also listed as anti-access although not to the same degree as REI. Look at the list of ORG's Cabela's support. Can't get anymore anti-access than that.

http://www.cabelas.com/content.jsp?p...s&WTz_l=Footer

Let me add that I shop at Cabela's, not often as I choose not to travel that far. I do not shop at REI (although years ago I use to do electrical service work for both the corporate and retail side). I tend to shop local even though it limits my selection. But we all try our best to spend our money and support companies we think support our lifestyle choices. Proves to be very hard. I find myself being a hypocrite often. Sometimes more often than I like.

I do think we should encourage those companies we support, to support our access rights and I have worked to see that those companies know of my wish's.

Last edited by Merrick Graves; 04-30-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 AM

At least Tread Lightly is on there.

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing