Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Default Okanogan-Wenatchee and Colville NFs Forest Plan Revision

The Okanogan-Wenatchee and Colville National Forests have releasaed their first document for updating their Forest Plans.

Check this website for more information:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110617&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSBDEV3_053653&navid=130100000000000&pnavid=130000000000000&position=Feature*&ttype=detail&pname=Okanogan-Wenatchee%20National%20Forest-%20Planning

(sorry for the long website address, but this is the new way the USFS does their websites!)

For those of you who are not familiar with the Forest Plan, it is the document that provides general guidance for the management of a national forest. They are required to be updated at least every 15 years or sooner if needed.

The Proposed Action was issued on June 30th with comments due not later than August 29th.

It is available here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5312516&navid=130100000000000&pnavid=130000000000000&ss=110617&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Okanogan-Wenatchee%20National%20Forest-%20Planning

This is not the same as the ongoing Travel Management Planning the forests are working on. However, this document could effect future Travel Management Planning.

The forest plan does not address specific sites in the forest; rather it provides broad concepts as to the future management of an individual forest.

I have done a "first" read of the Proposed Action and do see some concepts that could effect future Travel Management Planning.

If you recreate in the Okanogan-Wenatchee or Colville National Forests, you should take a look at this proposal and submit your comments by the deadline of August 29th.
=====================
07 Jeep Rubicon AT Soft top

Member of:
Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (WOHVA http://www.wohva.org)
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB; http://www.nitrailblazers.org)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

U.S. FOREST SERVICE NEWS RELEASE

Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forests

Forest Plan Revision

Release Date: July 8, 2011

Contact(s):

Debbie Kelly, Forest Plan Revision Public Affairs Lead, 509-826-3275
Roland Giller, Okanogan-Wenatchee NF Public Affairs Officer, 509-664-9314
Franklin Pemberton, Colville National Forest Public Affairs Officer, 509-684-7177

Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forests
Announce Plan Revision Public Scoping Meetings

The Forest Service has scheduled a series of public meetings in July and August to share information about the Draft Proposed Actions for Forest Plan Revision for the Colville and the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forests. The Draft Proposed Actions were released on June 30, 2011, initiating a 60-day public comment period that ends August 29, 2011.

The public meetings are intended to help the public become familiar with the proposed management of the Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee Forests, said Margaret Hartzell, Team Leader for the Forest Plan Revision Team. “Our goal is to introduce people to the proposed action and help them understand the information so they can formulate their comments” Hartzell said. “These public meetings are an important part of the ongoing collaboration between the Forest Service and the public in the development of these forest plans.”

Forest Service representatives will provide a brief presentation about the proposed action and the public comment process, followed by a short question and answer session. Before and after the presentation, tables will be set up in an open house format to provide an individual opportunity to learn more about specific topics of public interest, and to have one-on-one conversations with Forest Service representatives. At the Colville, Okanogan and Wenatchee public meetings, small group discussion sessions will also be provided.

Topics highlighted during the open house include: Vegetation Management, Access (including motorized and non-motorized recreation), Recommended Wilderness, Wildlife Habitat, and the Forest Planning Process. “While these public meetings are focused on providing information, we will accept written comments turned in during the meeting,” said Hartzell.

Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest Plan Revision
Public Meeting-Open House Schedule

Colville, WA, Saturday, July 16
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Community College, Institute for Extended Learning Center, Colville Center, 985 South Elm, Colville, WA 99114

Republic, WA, Thursday, July 28
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Republic Elementary School Multi-purpose Room, 30306 E. Highway 20, Republic, WA

Okanogan, WA, Saturday, July 30
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Okanogan County Fairgrounds, Agriplex Building, 175 Rodeo Trail Road, Okanogan, WA 98840

Spokane, WA, Monday, August 1,
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Spokane County Public Library, North Branch, 44 E. Hawthorne Rd
Spokane, WA 99218

Newport, WA, Tuesday, August 2,
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Newport High School Auditorium, 1400 West Fifth Street, Newport, WA 99156

Wenatchee, WA, Saturday, August 6
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Wenatchee Convention Center, 201 North Wenatchee Avenue, Wenatchee, WA 98801 (Next to the Coast Wenatchee Center Hotel).

Yakima, WA Wednesday, August 10,
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Yakima Convention Center, 10 North 8th St, Yakima WA 98901-2515

Cle Elum, WA Thursday, August 11
5:00 p.m. -7:00 p.m., Cle Elum Centennial Center, 719 E. 3rd Street, Cle Elum, WA 98922

Seattle, WA Saturday, August 13,
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Magnuson Park, Mountaineers Program Center, 7700 Sand Point Way N.E., Seattle, WA 98115

Two Toll-Free “Lunch Time” Webinars—will also be held Tuesday, August 9 and Thursday, August 18 from noon to 1:30 p.m. to provide an opportunity for those people who may not be able to attend one of the other public meetings, or would like to participate in another review opportunity. More information will be announced via media release and posted on the project website when details become available.

Forest Plans provide broad direction to the Forest Service about how to manage the natural resources on national forest lands. “Much like county zoning plans, they allow certain activities and uses in certain areas and set the sideboards for those activities and uses,” explained Hartzell. “Comments provided at this stage in the plan development will be used to help us determine the scope of the environmental analysis and to develop a range of alternatives,” she added.

Comments are most helpful if received by August 29, 2011. Written comments should be addressed to the Colville and Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest Plan Revision Team, Okanogan Valley Office, 1240 Second Ave. South, Okanogan, WA, 98840. Comments can also be sent via email to: r6_ewzplanrevision@fs.fed.us. Comments generated by the Draft Proposed Action are used to develop alternatives analyzed in an environmental impact statement.

To view or download the Draft Proposed Actions, and/or to access maps and other informational materials, visit the project website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/okawen/plan-revision or call Debbie Kelly, Forest Plan Revision Team Public Affairs contact at (509) 826-3275.

Message to interested stakeholders--

* Please help us spread the word about the meetings to others who may have an interest. Posters of the meeting schedule will be available on the project website that people and print and post to help advertise the schedule. Thank you for your assistance.

~~ The Plan Revision Team
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Wade, I'm going to guess you'll a raft of folks at the Yakima meeting. I'm not sure at this point if any of us can make it, but I'll try to let you know. I put this on our site, and after the arse chewing I delivered to the club tonight, they may start paying more attention to this stuff

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Okanogan-Wenatchee and Colville NFs Forest Plan Revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Wade, I'm going to guess you'll a raft of folks at the Yakima meeting. I'm not sure at this point if any of us can make it, but I'll try to let you know. I put this on our site, and after the arse chewing I delivered to the club tonight, they may start paying more attention to this stuff
If you can't make any of the meetings/open houses, you may want to consider viewing the webinars scheduled for Tuesday, August 9 and Thursday, August 18 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
=====================

Member of:
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM

When will we see somethig from the PNW4WDA on this? Kind of down our alley, don't you think?

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
When will we see somethig from the PNW4WDA on this? Kind of down our alley, don't you think?
My guess is we won't (see anything on this from the PNW). Not sure why, but this IS right down our alley.

I have been going over the Colville portion of the Proposed Action and do see some very interesting statements. But, I'm not sure if it's just me not understanding what they are saying or if I'm actually interpreting it correctly.

I will be at the Aug 1 Spokane open house so hope to get some answers. And will definitely provide some comments.

If you are looking at this document, I'd very carefully read the following Management Area definitions and plans:
Active Restoration 2
Active Restoration 3
Backcountry
Backcountry Motorized
They have also updated the website with some much better GIS data files, including some Google Earth files. I've used them as well as some of the other GIS data files and have some concerns.
=====================

Member of:
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM

It's a big deal as far as I am concerned! No input to the FS from this group will not sit well with a few folks. It's supposed to be what we do! Ah, well, I'm not one of the cool kids, so I doubt anything I say will hit anyone too hard

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It's a big deal as far as I am concerned! No input to the FS from this group will not sit well with a few folks. It's supposed to be what we do! Ah, well, I'm not one of the cool kids, so I doubt anything I say will hit anyone too hard
Yes and no.

Yes, your comments will count. As the FS has repeatedly said,m all comment count. They do not recognize form letters and petition.

They are interested in specific comments that provide valuable input such as "This is not good because...." rather than "This is not going to work".

And it's most import if you include why it impacts you.

However, I have found out if you can include economic benefits, i.e., "If this is done, you will decrease local impact dollars by $XXX" goes a lot further.
=====================

Member of:
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Paul, that was aimed at some of the BOD here, who don't seem to take part in discussions like this one. I do a lot of letter writing and e-mailing about all this land nonsense. My gripe is no comment here from any of the "powers that be"...And no public comment, or press release activity, or any openly visable sign of activism on behalf of the sport/hobby...

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-29-2011, 04:29 PM

[quote=Grumpy;17310]that was aimed at some of the BOD here, who don't seem to take part in discussions like this one.[/quote

If figured that. I have the same problem with WOHVA. I think both organizations are too big to be involved with matters that pertain to smaller area. However, if everony involved in the sport doesn't do their part - organizations included - then the sport will slowed fade into the dust!

Quote:
I do a lot of letter writing and e-mailing about all this land nonsense. My gripe is no comment here from any of the "powers that be"...And no public comment, or press release activity, or any openly visable sign of activism on behalf of the sport/hobby...
Agreed!

I generally post items to make sure the word gets out, but it's up to individuals (and organization like PNW and WOHVA) to ensure ALL voices are heard.
=====================

Member of: