Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Hot off the Press - Discussion on Discover Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh34 View Post
I buy a hunting license and get a stewart access for WDFW land and last year i could access DNR land with it. But this year i need a discovery pass to access DNR land. And that money goes where? Probly the general fund. Or atleast most of it does. I can understand paying for an access pass if the money goes towards some seen improvements on the lands we access. Not these fancy new upgrads on camp grounds that alot of that pay for these passes dont even use. I have been buying a hunting and fishing license for about 12 years or so now and all have have seen is more gates on roads in areas i use to hunt because people dump there ****. But thats another issue. I would just like to see some the money go towards the areas we use. Not the general state fund. Or The Black Pine Lake camp ground in twisp. Last year it was all gravel. But i went by there this year while hunting, And they paved the whole thing made the camp sites bigger, add a fancy new boat launch with like about twenty or more parking spots. Mind you this lake is only 10 acers or so big. I just dont get it.
I understand what you are saying.

This is a funding issue that was requested by the governor. She wants those that play to pay. With the Discover Pass, State Parks will no longer receive any money from the General Fund. I do knot know how the 84%/8%/8% division was decided or who pushed for those percentages. I though I read somewhere that DNR was happy with their 8% share.

The State Legislature will be looking at the transferability issue. However, with the recent report that State Parks is not getting the monies they thought the Discover Pass would bring in (duh!!!), the transferability issue may be moot.

If it were me, I'd be writing the Governor about why you have to pay for those areas where you do not play.
=====================
07 Jeep Rubicon AT Soft top

Member of:
Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance (WOHVA http://www.wohva.org)
North Idaho Trail Blazers (NITB; http://www.nitrailblazers.org)
Old 10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp575 View Post
You must be fron the west side???

Over here in Spokane, we can wheel in a State Park - 600 acres!
Sorry, haven't checked mail lately... no, I live in yakima, central washington doesn't really have state parks with that much acrage and no offroad travel. That's great you do though, but do you see the 84% where you are?

What frosts me is I live 20 min from Tampico(DNR) and won't go because of that stupid pass. I hear they did open one or two campgrounds that had been closed for a while up there though, so they must be happy with thier 8%.

I think I'll stick with forest land for a while and If I want to access fish&wildlife land I will renew my fishing license.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy66 View Post
Sorry, haven't checked mail lately... no, I live in yakima, central washington doesn't really have state parks with that much acrage and no offroad travel. That's great you do though, but do you see the 84% where you are?
No. I've not seen any changes. The 7 Mile ORV Area is only a small part of the entire Riverside State Park - which covers a lot of acreage here in Spokane.

Those changes won't show up until either later this year or next year at thew earliest. The 84% State Parks receives from the Discover Pass is the only funding they will receive this year. And with the low attendance since implementing it, I don't think trhings are going to change - only get worse.

Folks living along the east and south borders of WA has other opportunities - Oregon and Idaho. I've met a lot of folks over here that said because of the Discover Pass, they will not go to 7 Mile! And sometime next years there's a 1`,000 acre ORV park opening just across the Idaho stateline so I'm guessing attendance at 7 Mile will fall further after that Idaho park opens! Don't know if the Idaho park will charge or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy66 View Post
I think I'll stick with forest land for a while and If I want to access fish&wildlife land I will renew my fishing license.
That's one way to avoid the Discover Pass!
=====================

Member of:
Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Friends

Default It never ends

Hunting license. Combo deer, elk, bear, cougar, with discounted small game $115.50

( This doesnt include if you want to put in for special hunts either. The bad thing is this fees are effective September 1, 2011 But the hunting regulations came out April 1, 2011 with fees already in the regs.)

Fishing license. Annual combo fishing/shellfish. $52.25

( This doenst include the annual razor clam or columbia river salmon and steelhead endorsment either. And dont lose your salmon punch card because thats another $12.10 too. )

Discovery pass. $30.00 ( But wait there is a $3.00 trans action fee, And a $2.00 dealer fee ). So that actually brings are total to $35.00

The feeling this state gets when giving us the shaft. Priceless

Heres the site with some of the fees. https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wdfw/licenses_fees.html

If you want more info on the BS just click on discover pass in the website above.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh34 View Post
Fishing license. Annual combo fishing/shellfish. $52.25

( This doenst include the annual razor clam or columbia river salmon and steelhead endorsment either. And dont lose your salmon punch card because thats another $12.10 too. ).
If your going to get shelfish you might as well get the puget sound crab endorsement ($8.25), but don't forget to turn in your catch card or it's another $10. Been burnt on that one before.

way to get off topic huh? but I see how they've got you coming and going.

The only problem with not accessing thes areas is there will be notice taken of the lack of use, they will eventually be shut down and what is left of the funding will be appropriated in other areas.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 AM

Found this on WTA site. Yup, I find the Eco sites quite handy

Discover Pass Bill Passes House
Posted by Lauren Braden at Feb 28, 2012 01:15 PM

The Discover Pass bill that would allow for transferability between two vehicles, HB 2372, has passed the state House of Representatives.

Good news - we just received word from the halls of Olympia that engrossed substitute House Bill 2373 has passed the House, 54-44.

The next step for HB 2373? It'll now move on to the Senate, where it may be heard in policy and fiscal committees but more likely will form the vehicle for a House/Senate compromise. A similar, but less detailed bill, passed the state Senate on January 27.

Here's what's in the bill:
Adds two-vehicle transferability.
Creates an up to $50 Family Discover Pass that is transferable among any vehicles registered in a household between any vehicle.
Does not allow WDFW to charge vendor fees when people buy a Discover Pass from the WILD site.
Exempts possessor of a daily Sno-Park permit from requiring a Discover Pass or Day-use permit at designated Sno-Parks.
Allows Discover Pass purchaser to designate a start date, making the Pass giftable.
Allows for Iron Rangers (unstaffed pay stations) on State Parks.
Requires free access days at State Parks and suggests they be timed with National Park Service free days.
Codifies that the DNR, the WDFW, and State Parks must designate free 15-minute short-term parking.
Adds to the types of vehicles for which the owners are given the opportunity to donate to state parks upon vehicle registration (heavy trucks, single-axle trailers, RVs and ORVs).
Creates a $10 state parks support fee on recreational vehicle registrations until July 1, 2015, to be used to pay for State Parks sites that serve ORV users.
Allows tsunami cleanup to count as volunteer hours towards a free Discover Pass.
Requires the agencies to develop proposals for finding consistent state recreational policies where inconsistencies exist and to report findings to the Legislature. Refers to inconsistent management of Discover Pass and Volunteer component.
We're hearing that two amendments also made it into the version that passed.
These would:

Provide a free Discover Pass to Disabled Veterans who have a lifetime veteran's disability pass from the state parks and
recreation commission.
Requite that hotel-motel tax revenue from State Park lodging go to State Parks.
Land Use Coordinator

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Found this on WTA site.
Discover Pass Bill Passes House
Posted by Lauren Braden at Feb 28, 2012 01:15 PM
This is one of six(?) bills pertaining to the Discover Pass currently being considered. Which one will actually pass is unknown at this time, although I believe this one has the most potential to get passed.

The legislature must adjourn - by law - on March 8th so time is really short.
=====================

Member of:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Default HB 2373 - Discover Pass Legislation

The attachment is the current language (Senate Bill Report - Feb 28) with regards to the Discover Pass legislation - HB 2373 a.k.a. E2SHB 2373.

Arlene Brooks,
Green River Valley Jeep Club - Region 1
and PNW4WDA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E2SHB 2373 - Discover Pass Legislation - 2012.pdf (87.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
The site is now active & it looks like anything with an ORV sticker is exempt!

http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/
This part is confusing me, and I am hoping someone can shed some clarity on this.

Quote:
Q. Do I need to purchase a Discover Pass for my off-road vehicle (ORV)?
A. See below…

ORVs – No. ORVs that are required to display an ORV tab will not be required to have a Discover Pass. Generally, ORVs are non-street legal vehicles such as quads, some dirt bikes and some four-wheel-drive passenger vehicles.
Trailers – No. Trailers do not need an access pass.
Vehicles – Yes. The vehicle that transports a trailer with ORVs will need an access pass. Street-licensed vehicles, such as a dual-sport motorcycle or four-wheel-drive vehicles, will be required to display a pass.
I drive a street legal 04 TJ that I have dual registered. I have both license plates and ORV tags on my rig. Based on the verbiage above it sounds like I would not need a ORV tag, but the part about dual sport and 4-wheel drive vehicles requiring one has me confused.

Does a dual registered vehicle require the disco pass or not?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_in_da_couve View Post
This part is confusing me, and I am hoping someone can shed some clarity on this.

I drive a street legal 04 TJ that I have dual registered. I have both license plates and ORV tags on my rig. Based on the verbiage above it sounds like I would not need a ORV tag, but the part about dual sport and 4-wheel drive vehicles requiring one has me confused.

Does a dual registered vehicle require the disco pass or not?
Probably not (I know, you're looking for a more definitive answer).

What I'd do is when you get to an area that you are going to drive off-road, I'd remove the license plate and then there's no questions - as long as you have the ORV sticker.
=====================

Member of: