Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Washington State Director

Default November TWIG meeting in Naches

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, Oct 26, 2011 3:52 pm
Subject: Trails and Wilderness Interest Group Meeting November 1ST!

Hello!

October is almost over, Halloween in on the way and you know what that means…….. (nope not trick or treat)

It's time for TWIG! (The Naches Trails and Wilderness Interest Group meeting)!

TWIG will be on Tuesday night, November 1, at 7PM at the Naches Ranger Station.

(Enter by the back door).

The focus of the meeting this month will be a discussion on the Dry Ridge Restoration Project facilitated by the district Ecosystem Management shop. We would also like to visit about volunteer opportunities for helping out the winter cross country ski trail grooming and maintenance program.

Jeff will hand out the USDA Forest Service National Business Rules for "Trails Managed to Standard" as promised last meeting. Our plan is to devote the December TWIG meeting (December 6th) to begin an in-depth dialog about what it means that 8% of the district system trails are presently reported as "managed to standard." (How accurate is that assessment? What does "managed to standard" really mean anyway? What management, and operations design options make good business sense in order to provide an acceptable and wide range of quality trail experiences? And many other questions and concerns???)

See you there.

Jeff Leisy
Trails, Wilderness, OHV Coordinator
Naches RD, Wenatchee-Okanagan National Forest
10237 Hwy 12, Naches, WA 98937
(509) 653-1438
Fax (509) 653-2638
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 PM

There are several of us coming from the west side to be heard at this meeting. After the bombshell that was dropped at last months meeting about closing 10 miles of trail every year for the next 15 years.

BE THERE AND BE HEARD
Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
There are several of us coming from the west side to be heard at this meeting. After the bombshell that was dropped at last months meeting about closing 10 miles of trail every year for the next 15 years.

BE THERE AND BE HEARD
You missed the Greenie slide show they put up to show how bad 4x4s are to get the non-motorized people in the group.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
rollin

Quote:

BE THERE AND BE HEARD
I actually called the FS office and spoke with Doug.
He stated that the comment above was "incorrect

He said what was stated is "The Forest Service is facing a 10%reduction in funding for the next 5 years and that they will be looking at trails with the least amount of usage."
I asked how they would determine what trails would be closed due to "lack of use"
They plan on having a "comment period" to determine who uses what trails when. This will not only be an issue for ORV, but snowmobilers, single track riders.
I told him I was a soon to be displaced wheeler
Word is out, so plan on some good representation from our community.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol View Post
I actually called the FS office and spoke with Doug.
He stated that the comment above was "incorrect

He said what was stated is "The Forest Service is facing a 10%reduction in funding for the next 5 years and that they will be looking at trails with the least amount of usage."
I asked how they would determine what trails would be closed due to "lack of use"
They plan on having a "comment period" to determine who uses what trails when. This will not only be an issue for ORV, but snowmobilers, single track riders.
I told him I was a soon to be displaced wheeler
Word is out, so plan on some good representation from our community.
Just going by what I seen in the region 4 minutes. I just know that when were not around we tend to get forgotten about as if we dont exist. Good showings at these meetings when there is a issue makes it harder to be forgotten.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Just going by what I seen in the region 4 minutes. I just know that when were not around we tend to get forgotten about as if we dont exist. Good showings at these meetings when there is a issue makes it harder to be forgotten.
We had a good show of motorized users at the last TWIG Meeting. That is not the problem. Read by report of the last meeting to see what happened: October 2011 TWIG Meeting Highlights

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
We had a good show of motorized users at the last TWIG Meeting. That is not the problem. Read by report of the last meeting to see what happened: October 2011 TWIG Meeting Highlights
From the october region 4 meeting minutes.

LAND MATTERS:
Doug Conner (Roamin’ Chariots) had nothing new to report on Juniper Dunes.
Discussion followed on the October 4th TWIG meeting last Tuesday at the Naches Ranger Station. We need to have a bigger showing from our Association at the TWIG meetings to let the Forest Service know that we will not stand for them closing our trails. Since we have several clubs that volunteer time to clear trails and maintain them, there really is no excuse to close the trails down. If you look at our record as an Association we have worked with the Forest Service, volunteering many weekends to educate the public, building bridges and by passes around areas of concern for several years; we are a responsible group of users. So if you really want to help your Association, please plan to attend the next TWIG meeting on Tuesday, November 1st at the Naches Ranger Station enter at the back door. Let’s fill that room with 4X4 users, and let the Forest Service know that we are not going away. The Forest Service plan is to close 10 miles of roads/trails a year for 15 years so that’s 150 miles right there. Folks the Forest Service needs to hear from us, or we won’t have anything left to recreate on.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
From the october region 4 meeting minutes.

LAND MATTERS:
Doug Conner (Roamin’ Chariots) had nothing new to report on Juniper Dunes.
Discussion followed on the October 4th TWIG meeting last Tuesday at the Naches Ranger Station. We need to have a bigger showing from our Association at the TWIG meetings to let the Forest Service know that we will not stand for them closing our trails. Since we have several clubs that volunteer time to clear trails and maintain them, there really is no excuse to close the trails down. If you look at our record as an Association we have worked with the Forest Service, volunteering many weekends to educate the public, building bridges and by passes around areas of concern for several years; we are a responsible group of users. So if you really want to help your Association, please plan to attend the next TWIG meeting on Tuesday, November 1st at the Naches Ranger Station enter at the back door. Let’s fill that room with 4X4 users, and let the Forest Service know that we are not going away. The Forest Service plan is to close 10 miles of roads/trails a year for 15 years so that’s 150 miles right there. Folks the Forest Service needs to hear from us, or we won’t have anything left to recreate on.
I guess. Maybe we should plan rally around the building. I believe the only way the Ranger is going to let up on closing our trails is to get more outsiders looking at her. The media like KIMA. She has little respect for what users think. That is one reason she trying to do a long term seasonal closer order the ORV trails. This is against what a lot of us want. She says that is what we asked for. It is a twist of truth. She says that way if it is to wet then they would not have to go through the process to do the temp closures every year. Sounds like she is trying to lock us out or maybe she don't want to do her job every spring.

I will see you next Tuesday Jim.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
BOD

Just want to set the record straight. The Forest Plan revision proposal says that they want to close 10 miles of trail/roads a year for the next 15 years. I don't now how Doug can say that isn't true as it's in writing in the proposed forest plan revision.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
rollin

I guess I would ask him the next time you see him, which would be Tuesday...He denied saying anything of that nature. I guess he wanted to change his mind when he had heard that the word had been passed around and was going to be in the Tri Power