Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

View Poll Results: Which would you buy?
One Pass for $30 transferrable between 2 vehicles 8 100.00%
First Pass for $30 plus optional 2 passes for $45 1 12.50%
Option 1 plus optional $50 unlimited transferability pass 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Dirt Napper....

Of the options, I would have to go with option 1, but lets throw yet another curveball---option 1 coupled with option 2, that way, only two passes would be needed for covering up to 4 vehicles; at a cost of $45, plus the admin fees of course....This would cover the tow rig and wheeler at a much more affordable rate, and still give the option of running another vehicle in one's fleet on DNR land....
Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM
The One that Screws it up

Hey Dorothy did you get this one?
DogpoundOffroad
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
rollin

WAYCRAZY get's my vote. NOVA funds should pay.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Friends

The bad thing about this is that they nickle and dime us on everything. But there not going to give us a pass for free. And if they get a nova fund the money will be spent in areas where we dont go to camp or wheel. Thats the problem. I have no issue with paying for a pass if the money goes to seen improvements in the areas we wheel in. But like alot of the areas we wheel in its voluntery trail maintainence by certain clubs. Not DNR. And if you need a discover pass to access DNR land then why does the WDFW get 8% of the money and parks get 84%. And DNR is left with 8%. If there is a pass to access certain land then then money generated from that should go to the land the pass is for. Or at the least 50% of it should.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Friends

To me the solution to this is you pay $30 for a pass. On the pass you have room for up to (let's say 6 vehicles) The user of the pass must be the registered owner or owners of the vehicle that it is being used on. Also just like the forest service pass a sticker can be given out for jeeps that can't be locked so no one can five finger the pass. This will allow taking in a jeep to jeep with and have a tow vehicle there also weather a motor home or in the case of a day trip a pickup. No vehicle that's being towed in should require a second pass. This way the pass can be transfered from more than one vehicle to whom the vehicles are registered to. One pass per vehicle can be used at a time. If you are going to have more than two vehicles at a time other than the towed in vehicle another pass would be required. What I've said here may need to be tweak a little but I think you get the point. Myself and a couple others that I know will not buy a discover pass as it is now. We will just stay out of places that it is required.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

I strongly feel it would be a huge dis-service to the 4x4 community for our association leaders to recommend ANY of the three options above. Just because a government agency is offering 3 solutions that in no way address the issues that 4x4 enthusiasts are facing does not mean that they are cooperating.

DNR has a history of appearing cooperative while just forcing us into a solution that does not actually solve any of the unique problems experienced by the 4x4 community. We are partners in stewardship of those lands in question and deserve to be treated as such.

The hiking community leaders were successful in swaying this pass away from the original "per person" system, the 4x4 leaders should be able to have some swing as well. "The meek shall inherit the earth", is a bunch of crap - let's get out there and fight...

While there is likely no PERFECT resolution to any fee system, I would offer "why re-create the wheel"? The Northwest Forest Pass seems to works somewhat efficiently. You purchase a $30 ($35) Discover Pass and get a hang tag to be used wherever you see fit (no space for license plate numbers- completely transferable. Then, upon request, they will give you a "theft proof" sticker for your Jeep (or other open vehicle) for FREE.

And then enforce the **** out of it. Punish the people who don't make the effort to get the proper pass and stop punishing the user groups who not only have been cooperating by purchasing the passes but are consistently the top contributors of volunteer hours on state lands.

I feel a rant coming on, but I will stop here for clarity...

I'm not offering this solution based on what's best for me personally, but what I feel will best serve the majority of the 4x4 community. I have two (2) Jeeps and multiple tow rigs so I will be forced to buy at least two Disco's no matter what (and already have purchased 2 for this year).

My 2 cents - take it or leave it...

For the record - I choose option "D" in the Poll - NONE OF THE ABOVE!
Piston's Wild Motorsports
www.pistonswild.com
PNW4WDA Member for 25 Years
(360) 606-1648

"SARCASM - because beating the crap out of people is illegal."

Last edited by PistonsChick; 11-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Washington State Director

There are many things that I agree with in that choosing one is like saying I will take what is being offered and not fight. But facts are.. If our numbers were like those of the snow mobiles or hikers we would carry more weight. But even they are not able to influence enough change. They are also asking for Option 2. And other things.. they have huge volenteer hours put to projects. I don't see our figures on man hours to know how they compare. But in listening to the committee meetings I have attended they have lots of man hours applied towards projects. The snow mobiles represent 30,000 tabs purshased last year.

Yes we do lots for the DNR, no question there and with the joint efforts of other groups our voices do get heard. Case in point we are being asked our opinions. I asked for ideas and of the ideas they received they looked them over and came up with the best and easiest to administer in current conditions. If money concerns for the agencies were different, I am sure so would the pass be different. The pass will not go away they need to get revenue, so they know these options are not what we want and they they still have problems. So for them they are making concessions and asking us.

Again no magic answers and none are what we truely want. Run for office and help influence change!
Overbored Racing
Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

ORV'ers consistently represent over 90,000 tabs each year.

94,053 in 2010
90,772 so far for 2011

Just sayin' . . .

www.pistonswild.com
(360) 606-1648

Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Washington State Director

Where did you get your numbers? I would welcome tossing out figures like those!
Overbored Racing
Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

Easy peasy...

http://www.dol.wa.gov/about/vehvesselreports.html

www.pistonswild.com
(360) 606-1648