Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Liberty
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
"OLD GUY"

Default Liberty information

Hi I am Dave McMains I work with Dale Neuman on the Liberty ( central Washington) area as Dale does not do "forums" I will keep an eye out for him if you have any questions about the area please get a hold of me and if I cant answer you I will get a hold of Dale and get the information to you!
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Is Liberty full size freindly? Challenges or just trail rides? Good time of year to visit?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Old Goat

Whole bunch of challenge at Liberty. Good times when it's dry. Lots more fun when it gets wet. There are basically three sections. The hills behind the Guard Station. The Lower Liberty area. Then Table Mountain which has a winter closeure until June 15th. Lots of camping both in camp and dispersed. Lots of rockhounding (crystals, Ellensberg Blues, Thunder Eggs, gold panning) Because of the mining history you have to watch where you pick up rocks. Although the FS is closing old mine shafts that are not being worked you can put together mine tours.

Sorry not fullsize friendly. But they do get thru on some of the trails.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM
"OLD GUY"

Sorry Mark most of liberty is NOT fullsize friendly as far as trails go. there are lots of logging roads that are open just not trails.
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McMains View Post
Sorry Mark most of liberty is NOT fullsize friendly as far as trails go. there are lots of logging roads that are open just not trails.
Thank you Dave. Need a trip out of town this summer somewhere I'll check that one off my list. Maybe someday I'll get back into a Jeep. But I went to full size to tow my son and his toyota for a couple years. He now has his license but I can't swing another jeep for awhile.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 PM

Apparently Dave forgets that his son-in-law and grandaughter helps out at Liberty too!!! We mostly spend our time listening to the old men, Dave and Dale, complain and moan about how much work needs to be done. Then we do the work while they watch and continue to complain.
Ha Ha. Had to say something David!!!!

'99 TJ
Hurtin' Units
PNW4WDA Members
Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Dirt Napper....

Is Liberty a good place to run in late April??? Our club's planning a run around then for I think the last wknd in April, and would like to gather as much inside info as possible...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukkev View Post
Is Liberty a good place to run in late April??? Our club's planning a run around then for I think the last wknd in April, and would like to gather as much inside info as possible...
Most of Liberty is forested. Also has a bunch of snow. The trails in the Liberty basin may be free of most snow by that time. The trails behind the Guard Station will be free of snow at the lower elevations but don't expect to make the ridge. You should be able to run on top of the snow to the Red Top Fire lookout (road). Also note that the Table Mountain area does not open to motorized vehicles untill after June 15th.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Dirt Napper....

I was only over there once (for TTCW), so I'm not quite sure where the Liberty Basin is, or the Guard Station, or Table mountain for that matter---
We were camped just off Liberty Rd in the big open area that has a toilet house at the entrance to said open area....any idea of trail #'s that will likely be open at the time we plan on headin there???
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukkev View Post
I was only over there once (for TTCW), so I'm not quite sure where the Liberty Basin is, or the Guard Station, or Table mountain for that matter---
We were camped just off Liberty Rd in the big open area that has a toilet house at the entrance to said open area....any idea of trail #'s that will likely be open at the time we plan on headin there???
Try NWJeepn.com, they have some great maps. They also have some links to practice your geocashing for TTCW-09.