Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Oregon Trails > Mt Hood
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Friends

Default MT Hood - La Dee Flats Trail Construction

If you are interested in volunteering to build trails in La Dee Flats, we need your help!

We have gained approval to begin construction of one of the trails in the mid July time frame. This trail will be a moderate difficulty level, class II trail, that will end up being approximately 2 miles in length. This is the first of several trails we will be building.

As part of the agreement that we have with both the USFS and our trail designer (who is volunteering his own personal time to this project), it is being required that all volunteers attend a trail tour at Tillamook State Forest to see how a successful, sustainable and challenging trail system can be built.

If you are interested in helping us build trails in La Dee, please attend a tour of some of the newly opened trails in TSF on June 24th at 10:00 AM. We will be meeting at the Lee's Camp Store which is located at
48400 Wilson River Highway
Tillamook, OR 97141

We will be leaving promptly at 10:00, so please arrive early, grab a donut and a cup of Joe and hang out and chat a bit. I recommend arriving no later than 9:45

In order to create trails in the MT Hood National Forest we will need the support of many volunteers, in the shape of equipment, equipment operators, manual labor, fuel donations, and strong Class II user support. I've personally been attending meetings for over 2 years discussing this "project" and am very excited to finally be able to start breaking ground. I wont be able to do it on my own, and hope I can count on your support.

For more details check our website at http://thoseguysoffroad.com/tgorforum/
Our Club Facebook at www.facebook.com/ThoseGuysOffRoad
Our Friends of La Dee Flats Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frien...20914604588881
Or bump this thread and I will get back to you.

Thanks for the interest and I appreciate the support in helping me open this new, legal, class II area in the NW.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Friends

I'm in. This is going to be great and the fact that this isn't getting drug out over several more years is great news. Great idea privatelly funding this where did you come up with such a steller idea.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp View Post
I'm in. This is going to be great and the fact that this isn't getting drug out over several more years is great news. Great idea privatelly funding this where did you come up with such a steller idea.
Thanks Samp! I knew I could count on you , and I appreciate all you have done to help keep this thing alive.

Getting grant money just wasn't in the cards this year. When we went to apply for our grant last year, the USFS decided to cut it back to just a O&M grant because they felt anything bigger wouldn't be approved. Not sure if that was the case or not, but the lack of funding put our project at risk.

After that, we have been lucky in that we had a member of the ODF staff volunteer his personal time to help make this trail happen. Had this not occurred we would have been discussing a grant for next year to hire a trail designer. Instead we have had a volunteer come out and spend countless hours walking the proposed trails, preparing reports, and developing the vision of how this will be built in such a way that not only keeps the USFS happy, but also keeps us as Class II users happy.

Now is the hard part though. The meetings while long and boring, the bureaucratic red tape while frustrating and mind numbing, is in a lot of ways the easy part. Now it's about putting boots on the ground, and getting people to donate there time this summer, on short notice, to helping us build the trail.

Sure, we could wait till next year. Apply for a grant this winter, do some fund raising over the winter, sock away some dough, or we can take the opportunity the USFS has given us to build this trail this summer, AND do all the above for next years round of trails. I think that's the best way to go. It will also be a pretty cool thing in my eyes, to be able to step back once this trail is done and explain that cost the USFS nothing to build.

Here is a listing of the equipment we need for the 800 trail.
- D4 or D5, with a 6 way blade. This will be used to help carve the trail and harvest rock from the existing road bed. In order to create the dips, twists and turns, and adjustable blade is needed. It would be great if it had a ripper.
- Excavator, again with adjustable blade, but also a "thumb" to be able to move and position boulders.
- Haul rigs, both trucks to pull trailers and material as well as trailers.
- We will need man power, both as equipment operators, but also as just good old manual labor.
- We will need donations of fuel for the machinery.

If you can, or know someone who can help provide any of the above, please let us know. The La Dee Trail System will be what we make of it, and we wont be able to make it a success without your support.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Cherokee Master

Jon-

Keep in mind that the Association has some funds available for reimbursement for trail work and equipment. Has to be submitted to the BOD and approved. Talk to Don J. , Angie M. or Dave McM.

Got another build project down here this summer or we would be there.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
Jon-

Keep in mind that the Association has some funds available for reimbursement for trail work and equipment. Has to be submitted to the BOD and approved. Talk to Don J. , Angie M. or Dave McM.

Got another build project down here this summer or we would be there.
Thanks Art! As always I appreciate the info and input. I am still a newb at this and have no clue what I am doing half the time, or what resources I have available to me, so so again... I really appreciate the info!

Let us know when you get closer to having something down there and I'll help spread the word up here.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Washington State Director

Guess this belongs here.

Just recieved this tonight.

Aaron Barnes posted in PNW4WDA
Aaron Barnes 7:28pm Jun 18
Hello Folks, Please read this entire message. There will be many important details in here and I don't want you to miss anything. We are finally in a position where we can announce when trail construction will occur. I know this is an announcement many of you have asked about, and now I am finally in a position to be able to answer.

This weekend a group of dedicated class II users met with the USFS and gained agreement to begin trail construction of the 800 trail. Thanks to the work of all involved, but especially our volunteer trail designer we have gained approval to move forward with flagging the 800 trail. This work will begin in late June. This will involve reducing the current road to a width of 80", and identifying the trail center line. It will also involve connecting the two 800 spurs together which will result in approximately 2 miles of class I, II, III and IV trails. The trail management objective (TMO) for this trail will be a moderate difficulty level class II trail that is more difficult to class I an III users. The trail corridor needs to stay within the existing road prism, but we are confident we can meet the TMO even with this limitation.

Once trail flagging is completed it is our intent to begin trail construction immediately and we have gained USFS approval to do so. We estimate that we will begin trail construction under the careful guidance of our trail designer in mid July. For trail construction we will need the donation of volunteer time, money, equipment, and expertise. We will be looking to the OHV users for volunteer support. We do not have any funding or grant support at this time for trail construction. This trail will be designed and built with 100% volunteer time, money and labor. We need your help to make this happen.

Here is a listing of the equipment we need for the 800 trail.
- D4 or D5, with a 6 way blade. This will be used to help carve the trail and harvest rock from the existing road bed. In order to create the dips, twists and turns, and adjustable blade is needed. It would be great if it had a ripper.
- Excavator, again with adjustable blade, but also a "thumb" to be able to move and position boulders.
- Haul rigs, both trucks to pull trailers and material as well as trailers.
- We will need man power, both as equipment operators, but also as just good old manual labor.
- We will need donations of fuel for the machinery.

If you can volunteer any of the above, we need your help to create the initial class II trail for the La Dee OHV area. Without your support we wont be able to do this. I am hoping we can count on your support.

As part of the agreement we have with our trail designer, he is requiring that all volunteers attend a trail tour in the Tillamook State Forest. We will be reviewing newly built trails, to gain an understanding of the design technique used to create sustainability and user enjoyment. All equipment operators must attend this training prior to working in La Dee.

Our first trail tour will be held Sunday June 24th. We will be meeting at Lee's Camp Store on HWY 6 at 10:00AM. Please be on time, we will have a lot of ground to cover, and we need to be respectful of our designer who is volunteering his time. I encourage anyone who wants to volunteer to arrive at the Lee's Camp Store no later than 9:45AM.

The Lee's Camp store is located at
48400 Wilson River Highway
Tillamook, OR 97141

Here is a link for a google map.
http://goo.gl/maps/U7KG

Thank you for all of your patience as we worked through the hurdles leading up to this. It is now time to begin building trail! It's been a long road, but soon, with your support, we will have something awesome to show for it. I look forward to seeing you on the 24th.
Google Maps
maps.google.com

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps

View Post on Facebook Edit Email Settings Reply to this email to add a comment.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Friends

latest news...construction starts this saturday

It's time. It's time to build trail. For the last 2+ years I have been working on this project on behalf of the club. We've had a lot of ups and downs to get to this point, a lot of hurry up and wait situations, a lot of last minute challenges to over come, and seemingly never ending ribbons of red tape to cut through, but we did it. We got here, we have the green light and now is the time we have all been waiting for. It's time to start building trail.

I think you are all pretty familiar with what we nee
d to build this trail, but here again is a list of what we need along with some updated items based on what Bill and I discussed on Sunday after the clean up. This expanded list should give anyone and everyone who want's to help a chance to help. There's a lot of work to be done, so hopefully there will be a lot of workers.

For this project we will need the following;
- excavator
- dozer (if it has a ripper even better)
- backhoe
- equipment operators
- dump trailer
- dump truck
- saw (hand saw and small chain saw although I am not sure if the USFS will allow us to use a chain saw yet... I am checking)
- safety gear (glasses, gloves, chaps for chain saw operators these will likely be required)
- Lopers
- Shovel
- Pulaskis
- pick axe
- weed whacker (ribbon fed, not metal blade as the metal blade will spark when it hits the rock in the trail and could be a fire hazzard)
- metal rakes
- Tow Straps
- Chain
- clevis's (small clevis to work with the chains would be great for helping build a net out of to be used to move boulders on to the trail).
- snatch blocks, the more the better.
- Diesel fuel can's (full or not although full would be appreciated )
- Water both for drinking, cleaning, cooking and in the event of a fire.
- Fire extinguishers - per the fire ban which is currently in effect, all vehicles should have 1 gallon of water or a 2.5lbs extinguisher.
- 4x4 vehicles ideally with a winch, a working winch will be needed to help pull boulders, logs and other natural debris onto the sides of the trail to help anchor the trail.
- Wheel Barrow
- Manual Labor
- Patience
- Good attitude
- A strong work ethic - we will be working both Saturday and Sunday. Come to one, come to both, there will be work to do.

For this first work party we will be focusing on the new trail section (connector trail) that goes between the two sections of 800 road that we will be converting to trail as well as working on ripping the road into a trail. This work (converting the road to trail) is heavily dependent on equipment and equipment operators. We will not be able to do this with just manual labor. The more equipment (Dozer, excavator, backhoe etc) we can bring to bear the quicker this will go.

The connector trail section will also require some machinery, but for the most part can be done with manual labor. We will need to pull rocks and logs into the trail to use as both anchors for the trail as well as obstacles for the trail. This is where a winch, straps, chain, snatch blocks and the clevises will come in handy. I would be really happy if we had one crew working on the trail section, and another crew working on the road section. There is a lot of work to do!

I plan on heading up Friday and will be camping the whole weekend. It would be awesome to have some company to kick it with, so anyone else up for camping? Anyone else attending the first work party? Maybe we can do a pot luck type dinner one night or both nights?

Like I said, now is the time for us to begin the work we have all been saying we wanted to do for the last two years. I really need a big turn out for this and all the future work parties. If you want to be part of opening a new trail... now is the time.

Here's where we will be camped at and working at. http://goo.gl/maps/1mn2h

Work begins when you get there.
Who's in?

see more at http://www.facebook.com/events/213198772140666/
Old 08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Friends

Thanks for copying my email into here Ryan, I've been pretty busy with work and getting things together for this weekend. I appreciate your help in spreading the word!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Friends

WE HAVE TRAIL ON THE GROUND. WE NEED EQUIPMENT AND HELP.

Our small group has tried to borrow beg and barter for equipment with only one generus unamed person willing to help us with equipment needs so far.

We chose not to collect money from people before we had a green light to build trail because we didn't want to ask people for there hard earned money so we could squarel it away in a bank account and give nothing in return. Well like I said there's trail on the ground come check it out.

A guy from Northern WA donated a bunch of fuel for the cause. I don't know his name but he's the man.

Dozers and mini excavators run about $700 a day, $2000 a week. As a small group we don't have that kind of money just laying around that we can front.

Not to sound like a **** but I find it hard to beleave that nodody has access to equipment and could help out for a day or two.

If I'm wrong than I guess you could call me a **** or whatever else you want to call me but there has to be somebody or group that can help out on this.

If we are the only ones that show up to build this trail it just confirms the enviromentlist arguement that the ohv comunity is small and isn't interested in creating responsible land use areas. This project could fall apart with out the help of local wheelers. We need your help, I hope I didn't offend anybody I just wanted to get your attention.

Check out thoseguysoffroad.com or the La Dee facbook page just do something or never complain about having places to wheel or trail closures again.

If you have equipment we will cover fuel cost maybe even for transport to and from the site. we also have trucks and trailers to haul it.

Forgive any mispelling, its not my strong suit.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Cherokee Master

Mid to heavy equipment is hard to come by on a donation deal, especially close to the project area. At times warm bodies are even harder to come by. Just look at what is scheduled for the upcoming w/e. You have a work project, PW has the cruise in for Yacolt, Region 6 has a work party/meeting on a sand road they take care of every year, and we have our new trail project. Not enough bodies to do all of it, and there is a very small die hard group of people that will get out and actually get dirty doing a project, but plenty that will get dirty playing.

Deschutes' issues with users griping about being held up during work projects on Quack Attack are ongoing every time they are up there.

I know the timing is not good but also talk to the USFS about Oregon ATV funding for the project, and have them submit a proposal to the allocation committee. Your work and other things can be used as matching funds and leverage. The committee is looking for class II projects all the time, but they only look at proposals a couple of times a year, and usually on once for each of the areas they fund. This will probably carry over into next year depending on elevation and when the white stuff gets here.

It gets frustrating after fighting for several years to get the trail and now only a few show to do it. Hang in there.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team