Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage > Trailer Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trailer Tech The Follower

Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Default Trailer Hitch Extensions for towing enclosed car trailer?

We sold our old long bed truck and the 9' camper last year and now are looking at campers again but for my short bed 2002 F-250. I am looking at a Lance 825, a Wolf Creek 816 and a Wolf Creek 850. I want to pull a 24' enclosed car trailer with my Jeep and quads inside.The trailer will weigh around 4,000 lbs and the load could be around 6,000 lbs. I am wanting to add a 24" extension hitch to pull the trailer. People are saying l will not be able to do this and some say it will work fine. In your opinion, can I and if so what is the best trailer hitch extension set up to buy?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Dirt Napper....

If you're gonna do this, you'll need the Superhitch, by Torklift...It is a double hitch setup...designed to run extensions up to 48"---
Copy to a link about their stuff...They have different length supertruss's for the extension...obviously the length of extension is going to change the rated capacity, but they have what you need....
http://tweetys.com/torkliftsuperhitch-1-2.aspx
Definitely worth the coin for piece of mind IMHO Clay....
Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukkev View Post
If you're gonna do this, you'll need the Superhitch, by Torklift...It is a double hitch setup...designed to run extensions up to 48"---
Copy to a link about their stuff...They have different length supertruss's for the extension...obviously the length of extension is going to change the rated capacity, but they have what you need....
http://tweetys.com/torkliftsuperhitch-1-2.aspx
Definitely worth the coin for piece of mind IMHO Clay....
Thanks for the info. The camper & trailer is one option to look at if I can't talk me wife into just an enclosed car trailer. Kind of scary adding an extension.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Dirt Napper....

With that said, When the camper's loaded on the truck, I run a single 18" hitch extension off my 12K hitch, towing about 7K lbs when I head east for hunting, or Jamboree...and I have had ZERO ill effects from running such an extension...
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukkev View Post
With that said, When the camper's loaded on the truck, I run a single 18" hitch extension off my 12K hitch, towing about 7K lbs when I head east for hunting, or Jamboree...and I have had ZERO ill effects from running such an extension...
Thanks!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
One day at a time....

Thumbs up

I run the super hitch from torque lift on my 2008 HD Chevy short box with Atric Fox 850 3400# camper. Pulling 7000 rated car trailer with TJ Jeep on it. My extension is 36" and yes it does put a load on the hitch, to help stablize I have airbags on truck and run them about 90% full. It's a load but does great,this is what the hitch is designed to do, they also make a wheel that you put between your truck hitch and trailer nose this helps take up some of the weight.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwheeler View Post
I run the super hitch from torque lift on my 2008 HD Chevy short box with Atric Fox 850 3400# camper. Pulling 7000 rated car trailer with TJ Jeep on it. My extension is 36" and yes it does put a load on the hitch, to help stablize I have airbags on truck and run them about 90% full. It's a load but does great,this is what the hitch is designed to do, they also make a wheel that you put between your truck hitch and trailer nose this helps take up some of the weight.
Thanks for the info.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Last I heard the longest extension recommended off a stock hitch is 18". This type of extension also reduces the dead weight rating of the factory hitch by 1/3. 5000lbs minus 1/3. The Torklift Superhitch and Torklift Magnum SuperHitch can do what you're asking. The Torklift extension will also handle a weight distributing setup upto 48". You might have to upgrade the tires to 19.5" commercial grade tires/wheels. I run them on my truck. They add an enormous amount of stability. Also look into the Torklift stableloads.

06' CTD