Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Washington State Director

Default Naches FS grants

Requests for support on grant requests for the Naches ranger district.

Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 2:21 PM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: RCO NOVA and RTP Letters of Support Needed from you - Requested by July 2nd 2012

Hello TWIG Member!

The Naches District Recreation Department is once again seeking your assistance in the form of Letters of Support for our RCO grant requests.

As you know, much of the District’s funding for trails, OHV Education, and campsite maintenance comes from the Washington State Recreation Conservation Office (RCO) – through both the NOVA program (funds come from a percentage of your state gas tax) and the federally funded RTP program (which RCO manages). In a nutshell, the trail crews you see on the ground, as well as the OHV Rangers are funded heavily from RCO grants. Matches are provided in the form of your volunteer work, other grants when possible, and force account dollars. The same goes for the recreation maintenance crew. We just can’t do it without these grants.

We have six grants we are applying for in the near future, very similar to those we’ve applied for in the past. These are brief descriptions:

Motorized Trails Maintenance & Operations - We will apply for two grants, one under the RTP program and one under the NOVA program. These grants will be for two years each, and will cover regular motorized trail maintenance of system Four Wheel Drive and Motorcycle trails. We will request funding for a trails crew, with a small amount for materials and supplies. Our intent is to continue to provide a quality motorized trail experience for you! The grant titles and project numbers are as follows: Naches Motorized Trails M&O 2013-14 (RTP Project# 12-1749 and NOVA Project #12-1752).

OHV Education and Enforcement Rangers – We will apply for one grant under the NOVA program to assist us in funding 3 OHV field Rangers, who will have the responsibility of educating and enforcing our laws and the Tread Lightly principles so the trail system can remain open for the public’s enjoyment and use while our unique resources are respected and protected. This grant will be for a two year time period. The grant title and project number is: Naches District OHV Rangers 2013-14 (NOVA Project# 12-1751).

Backcountry Trails Maintenance & Operations – We will apply for two grants, one under the RTP program and one under the NOVA program. These grants will be for two years each, and will cover regular trail maintenance of our backcountry trail system (those trails primarily in the Wilderness, and open to pack stock and hikers. This grant will also include maintenance of the few nonmotorized system trails we have outside Wilderness which are also open to mountain bikes, such as the north side of Pleasant Valley Trail 999). We will request funding for a trails crew, with a small amount for materials and supplies. Our intent is to continue to provide a quality backcountry trail experience for you. The grant titles and project numbers are: Naches District Wilderness Trails M&O 2013-14 (RTP Project #12-1750 and NOVA Project #12-1753).

Dispersed and Developed Camping M&O – We will apply for a grant to assist in campground and dispersed campsite maintenance and operations under the NOVA program. This grant will be for two years. This grant title and project number are: Naches Dispersed and Developed M&O 2013-14, NOVA Project #12-1754).

The Advisory Boards consider how much public support is behind each grant proposal they receive as part of their overall evaluation process. We send in each Letter of Support to RCO as part of our grant proposal. Your letter DOES make a difference!

If you’ve not written a Letter of Support before, this is what works well:

· Address the Letter to the RTP Advisory Board, or the NOVA Advisory Board, depending on which grant you’re supporting.

· Include a brief description of WHY you believe the grant you’re supporting is worth funding – how have you, your organization, or others benefitted from previous grants? What benefits do you see if the Board chooses to fund these particular grants?

· Letters of Support are welcomed from individuals as well as from organizations. Every one counts.

Letters would be best collected by July 2nd. Emails are great - (you can use my email address: sranger@fs.fed.us). If you prefer to write a letter, address it to the Naches District, Attn: Sue Ranger, 10237 US Highway 12, Naches, WA 98937.

We trust your summer is going well and hope to see you out on the trails (or camping) soon!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!!

Sue Ranger

Susan Ranger

District Recreation Planner

Naches District, Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest

sranger@fs.fed.us

(509)653-1446

Hello TWIG member!

Thank you so much for considering writing a Letter of Support for our NOVA and RTP grants – (I attached last Friday’s message below in case you didn’t get it the first time)…

I’m writing this email to you to let you know that I will be on fire assignment from Thursday, June 28th at 1800 to approximately July 18th.

Would you please cc any Letters of Support to Jacquie Beidl at jbeidl@fs.fed.us as well as to me?

She can get them where they need to go…..

THANK YOU!!

Sue Ranger

Susan Ranger

District Recreation Planner

Naches District, Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest

sranger@fs.fed.us

(509)653-1446

__________________________________________________ ______
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA

Last edited by jim putman; 06-27-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Washington State Director

Updated information. please see bottom of above post.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Old Goat

Beidl, Jacqueline A -FS jbeidl@fs.fed.us
10:56 AM (2 hours ago)

to jim, ajlamiquiz, amicone2310, blancharda9, arlyn.boatsman, awilkenwa, barb401, barneha, robert.sherwood, brad.martin, BRADR, bwillis4820, ceg, chapchar05, Chuck, ckvanamburg, ceg, colemancooler, collik, Barry, dualsprt, kbatku, daniel.p.robin., darohl, david

I hope you all had a great 4th of July!!

I want to extend our sincerest appreciation to everyone that sent in letters and emails of support for our RCO grants! Your response was overwhelming! We were successful in finishing our grants and hitting the “submit” button on all the applications before the midnight deadline on Monday. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!