Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Oregon Trails > Santiam Pass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Cherokee Master

Exclamation New Trail Work Party-Sept. 22, 2012

We will be working with the USFS and one of their sawyers on the 22. Meet at 8:00 AM at Hwy 20/22 and USFS Road 830. This is at the top of the hill past the ODOT maint station, up by lost lake. Good parking area on the south side of the highway and good place to unload if trailering a rig in.

Suggest loppers, hand saws for trimming, peavy, gloves, rock bars, shovels, axes, etc. Winch is an added plus.

If anyone is USFS certified on chain saw and will be there, let me know by Tuesday the 18th so I can let my USFS guy know and he can bring what is needed, We will only have one saw guy at this time.

If enough show we can work from both ends, and get most of it done in one day. I know region 6 has a meeting/work party the same day over on the coast. We need to show up to show the USFS our interest in the area and get support for more trails in the general area.

Post up or PM me if you are going to be there. Appreciate it

Thanks,
Art

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team

Last edited by Art Waugh; 09-14-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Friends

Hi Art - I wont be able to make it as we have our own work party this weekend, but I did want to bump this thread for ya and thank you for building trail. If and when we get done with the work are doing up here I will be making a trip to help ya'll where I can.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Cherokee Master

Thanks, with the cruise in from PW, the Region 6 meeting/trail maint. on the coast, your project, there are not enough interested folks to go around. Was hoping for at least one or two replies, but oh well. Will soldier on without. Got some of Deschutes and another group coming according to Randy and USFS.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Resident Ankle Biter

Hey Art,

Great job on getting the trail building going. Please keep posting dates and locations for the work parties and we will make every effort to get down there and help.

Unfortunately, our club has events scheduled on the books for the next three weekends so our first available opportunity to help is going to be mid-October.

Thank you for all of your hard work on getting new trails going - your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Piston's Wild Motorsports
www.pistonswild.com
PNW4WDA Member for 25 Years
(360) 606-1648

"SARCASM - because beating the crap out of people is illegal."
Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Cherokee Master

Thanks Crystal. What I got from the FS guy, anything left over after Sunday they will probably get a crew in next week to finish.

We will be going back up Sunday to finish what we can.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Cherokee Master

Had a great effort to get it cleared out in less than a day. Had around 30 people and 15 or so rigs come out. USFS spent two days cutting stuff loose and we cleared it out of the trail tread in 5 hours.

They followed the route that I laid out with ribbon 2 years ago, plus gave us several bumpouts for the buggy folks to play on.

I am running 31's with a 3 inch lift on the XJ and was banging the sliders and frame reinforcements all day. Should be a fun little trail for reasonably stock rigs and some dandy stuff for the buggies.

There might be a possibility of getting about 2-300 yards of another rock wall just off this trail as a play spot in the future, but we have to take care of this first.

Now that it is open, enjoy it, but please stay on the trail and drive it like you own it, because you do.

A huge THANK YOU to all who came out on a Saturday to clean it out and get it open for use. It was great to see members and non-members working together and having a good time.

Last edited by Art Waugh; 09-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Cherokee Master

Got a copy of the spread sheet for the project.

24 adults, with a total of 120 hours.

12 rigs, 60 hours of equipment use.

3352 mile total to and from the project.

A grand total of just under $5000.00 grant match in volunteer time and equipment.

Fantastic, super job to all who came out.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Washington State Director

Good to hear
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA