Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM

!! OCHOCO SUMMIIT EIS !!
The deadline for public comments on this project has been extended to April 15th.
Make your voice heard and send in those comments on time!
Here’s the project summary information. Email comments to:
comments-pacificnorthwest-ochoco@fs.fed.us

Deschutes County 4 Wheeler
(Trails Development Committee)
Harney County High Desert Wheeler
Region 6 PNW4WDA Secretary
South East Oregon Resource Advisory Council
Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Cherokee Master

FEIS and draft ROD came out Friday, March 14, 2014. According to the Forest Supervisor, they added back in about half of the Class II trails due to comments. Have not yet seen the document, as they did not have it at the office in Prineville last Friday at noon when I was there. Should have it this week to look over. Probably looking at appeals, and notified the OR State Director and Region 6 Director.

Thanks to all who commented, and if you did, and they were "substanceive" comments, you are eligible to appeal.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team

Last edited by Art Waugh; 03-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Cherokee Master

We got 10 miles of trail between closed ML 1 roads conversions and new construction, along with a little over 8 miles of ML 2 roads to tie it together. It will be on the NE side of Summit Prairie.

Still going through it to see if I plan on appealing for more trail opportunities.

**EDIT** Requested more information on why the rest of the trail mileage from Alt 4 was not included, should hear back next week. (out of office until Monday.)

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Last edited by Art Waugh; 03-28-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Cherokee Master

I, along with the Oregon State Director have filed objections on the FEIS / Draft ROD for the project. (formerly known as appeals)

If you commented you can object in the areas you commented on, all objections have to be in by Monday, April 25, 2014.

You can find all the documents on the Ochoco NF website and project site.

In the FEIS Summary I found quite a few names of folks here that I recognized. Appreciate all of you sending comments in. It helped a bunch.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Cherokee Master

Just got notification of the Objection Resolution Meeting on June 17th, 1:00 PM at Prineville BLM Office. We will be there and hopefully be able to get some trail added on the intermittent stream crossing routes.

Will post up the outcome when I get back.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Cherokee Master

Randy, Mona and I gave highlights of our objections as requested by the Objections Officer (in this case, the Deputy Regional Forester) along with a couple of other OHV supporters and the president of Ochoco Trail Riders (Class I and III club)

USFS is now compiling comments from the meeting and will be sending out the information and working on setting resolution meeting to see what can be solved and what has to go back for more work by the ID team and Responsible Official (Forest Supervisor).

Hopefully my objections can be resolved, along with the others as well, and I, along with a couple of other people requested that boots on ground resolution meetings with staff on weekends. I let them know that I was available anytime, anywhere to meet and work with staff to see what can be resolved. I also told them that my trip over there was min. 5 hours drive and with fuel and lost time at work cost me at least $300.00 out of pocket, and that should say a lot about how much I believe in the project.

They will be sending out compilation of what is going on as far as re-work, resolution, etc. soon.

Will let everyone know as it comes out.

Last edited by Art Waugh; 06-18-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Cherokee Master

They sent out draft highlights from what was said at the meeting, for the commentors to make sure what they said was captured. They will put up the finals and the slides, pics, etc on the website page for the project. Will put up a link when I get it.

Got a call from the Forest Supervisor, and we are planning a meeting in Prineville to see what we can work out. Will keep everyone posted as to what is going on.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM
Cherokee Master

Looks like we will have a meeting on July 3rd. Hope we can get a couple of more short loop trails/routes over intermittent waterways to give class II users more options and combinations for better satisfaction with the system.

Last edited by Art Waugh; 07-04-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Cherokee Master

I had a meeting in Prineville yesterday (July 3rd) with the Forest Supervisor, one of the ID team, and the Paulina District Ranger. We spent around an hour and a half going over maps and discussing intermittent and non fish bearing waterways. The Forest Supervisor, who is the Responsible Official on the project, and the ID team came up with 5 possible routes to look at to see if they could be added back in. One of the possibles had 2 routes, I rejected one of the two in that one, due to how close the crossing was to where the intermittent met a fish bearing stream. I also rejected another for the same reason as well as having 3-4 crossings, and not having enough distance to justify trying to get is approved.

I still have three routes on the table to work with, pending members of the ID team taking another look to see what the approaches look like and what might need to be done, along with where the closed/decommissioned routes are located. Some of these routes are open routes, and a little new construction, and some closed/decommissioned routes.

We discussed what the factors in hardening the crossings with rock, and the size of rock used, and went over in more depth the way the ATV committee works. Also how the ATV funds are generated, what that funding can be use for, and the volunteer time and equipment use that organized users provide and the grant match potential of that, and how fast it adds up.

The Forest Supervisor is thinking she might have something worked up to get back with me in a couple of weeks or so, and both of us are hoping to be able to resolve my objections.

Will post up more as I get it.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Cherokee Master

The Forest Supervisor is withdrawing the FEIS and Draft ROD, effective July 22, 2014.

Reasons are, some modifications proposed were not analyzed in the document, and some ground disturbing activities such as a different staging area (land owners request), trail segments reinstated, but with modified stream crossings, and or additional restoration work could reduce potential sedimentation and ( we hit the jackpot, the lottery and the holy grail all in one fell swoop with this phrase) actually improve hydrological conditions over present state ( my objections and mitigation solutions). Looking for more field visits with objectors to understand concerns and possible solutions.

Also the current wildfires are in the area of proposed trails, and there is a need to evaluate the changed condition this presents.

We will be working with the ID team and the Forest Supervisor on the Supplemental Draft EIS in fiscal year 2015, after the fire season.

Last edited by Art Waugh; 07-31-2014 at 03:41 PM.