Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Back up and pipe it...

Default Tillamook State Forest OHV Grant.

Back in January, Oregon Department of Forestry submitted an ATV Grant application for OHV Program Operations and Maintenance. This was a two year grant that was approved by the ATV Committee. Unfortunately, timber sales have dropped substantually causing a reduction of revenue for the recreation program. Due to projected budget reductions, ODF needs to resubmit a new application to fund recreation staffing and vehicle operating expenses. WE NEED THIS GRANT OR THE OHV TRAILS IN TSF WILL BE CLOSED!

Here is a sample of the letter I sent to Ron Price. Please write your own letter and mail it to the as soon as possible. It is important that the people that use the TSF OHV trails lets the committee know how important this grant is.

ATV Grant Allocation Committee
c/o Ron Price
725 Summer Street NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301

Dear Ron Price:

I am writing in regards to the new ATV Grant application that is being submitted for the OHV Program Operations and Maintenance in the Tillamook State Forest. I realize that it is unusual for a grant to be approved and then resubmitted with changes, but I implore you to realize the gravity of the situation. I am an active OHV enthusiast, a member of Cascade Cruisers and a member of the TSF Trail Patrol. I practice and educate responsible OHV use in the Tillamook State Forest.

Based on the projected budget reductions for the State Forest Division, there will be significant reductions in Oregon Department of Forestry staffing. Most likely those cuts in staffing will be in the recreation positions. The reason for these budget reductions is due to the lack of revenue coming in from timber sales. This new application sets grant funds aside for that deficiency. You see, if this new application isn’t approved, there is a good chance that ODF won’t have the staffing needed to follow through with the stipulations of the grant. That would lead to closing down the OHV trails in the Tillamook State Forest.

As someone who uses the Tillamook State Forest trail system on a regular basis and spends countless hours a year volunteering in the Tillamook State Forest, I would hate to see that happen. I know that it would not stop illegal OHV usage in the Tillamook State Forest and that the lack of regulation would lead to horrible environmental damage. Please approve the updated ATV Grant application for the OHV Program in the Tillamook State Forest.

Sincerely,
Chad Holznagel