Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Naches/Manashtash
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Old Goat

Default 4W307 Trail Damage

Here are some pictures of recently discovered damage by others unknown. The area may of recently been signed as closed. Please note this area is obviously off the trail.

Last edited by Merrick Graves; 11-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Old Goat

If you leave Manastash Campground on the 4W307 and head towards Tripod. You go thru the woods. Enter an area of younger trees and start on an old logging road that was ripped turning it into a trail. Follow thru and you will come to where the trail y's to the right is up a short rockface to the left bypass's the rock face. Note: The rockface route was closed a number of years ago due to numerous accidents. It has not legally been reopened but nevertheless has been reopened. Now after the rock face you go up a hill that has an offcamber section and goes up over a rootball in the trail. Very shortly afer the root section you take a hard left. The trail is now back on a ripped log road. Right at that left is the start of the most serious damage. Someone has knocked over the sign (which was old/obscured) and gone on thru into a sensitive area (some of you may remember this area which was hnown as "The Gunhole"). The "Gunhole" was closed years ago due to the sensitive nature of the area. The damaged area is not directly in the "Gunhole" Area but very near it. The damage is fresh within the last couple of weeks.

It is not possible to confuse this newly damaged area as the trail.

The other damaged areas are below this area and it looks like someone possibly got bored with the lack of challenge in this section of trail and decided to make a bypass. This is a double track vehicle that traversed up and did not get thru. This damaged section would present a challenge to anyvehicle except a very capable rig.

The other section that was damaged is purely a bypass established to avoid a snowbank that could not be navigated easily. To most people this snowbank would of turned them back. Which should mean the trail is not passable (ie: closed). But instead somebody decided causing this sort of damage was more important than respecting the trail and respecting the legitimate users rights.

Comes down to "Stay on the Trail or Stay Home".
Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

I just was on 4W307 and I did see some new damage but not what the pictures show.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Redneck

I was up at the rocks Saturday 6/27 and the meadow
before Moon Rocks is all tore up. At one point the trail
is 50' wide and you can tell it was wet when the damage
was done. There are tracks way off the trail in the meadow.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWWAG View Post
I was up at the rocks Saturday 6/27 and the meadow
before Moon Rocks is all tore up. At one point the trail
is 50' wide and you can tell it was wet when the damage
was done. There are tracks way off the trail in the meadow.
We saw that the week before too. There were also fresh tire tracks next to the "No Vehicle" signs at Funny Rocks.

On 4W311 we found a group that was causing damage as they came through. They even cut down a tree to get the Suburban through. We called 911 with two plate numbers. They told me they were dispatching the Sherriff's Office and then they hooked me up with the Forest service which said they would try to get someone out there before these guy got off the trail. I hope they got caught.