Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Wta & rei

WTA and Cougar Mountain Say, "Thanks, REI!"
Posted by Rebecca Lavigne at Jul 09, 2009 10:35 AM | Permalink
Filed under: Trail Maintenance, Inside WTA

Photo courtesy of REI.
In late June I had the opportunity to join a group of volunteers for a day of trail work on Cougar Mountain. Volunteers came from Kennewick, Tukwila, and Seattle ó one even came all the way from the East Coast. We spent a productive day working in dappled sunlight along the Steam Hoist Trail, retreading and improving drainage. Trail runners, parents with kids and a retired couple out for a stroll paused to say thanks as they passed by.

Youíll find a WTA crews like this working nearly every day of the year on close-to-home trails as well as those far in the backcountry. What set this group apart was that they were all top-achieving REI employees who had been recognized by their peers with REIís Anderson Award.

That day we got some good work accomplished. Even better, REI presented WTA with a $20,000 grant to help us keep up the good work all summer long. The cash and in-kind grant will help WTA lead more than 30,000 hours of volunteer work statewide between now and National Public Lands Day on September 26.

So, a hearty thank you to the REI Anderson Award winners who joined us on Cougar Mountain and to everyone at REI! Their generous, continued commitment to the hiking community is a big reason why, year after year, WTA is able to help keep your favorite trails open.

Rebecca Lavigne is WTA's Development Director

(From WTA Website)
Land Use Coordinator

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 PM

$20,000.00...Twenty Thousand Dollars...Twenty large...20K...irtDOG:

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
So when do we hit up the major players in the 4x4 industry for this kind of money?
  • WARN
  • Trail Ready
  • ARB
  • 4WheelParts
  • Randy's Ring & Pinion
  • Jeep
  • Rubicon Express
  • Quadratec
  • Detroit Locker
  • Superior Axle
  • Les Schwab
  • Interco Tires
  • BFGoodrich Tires
  • Goodyear Tires
  • Fabtech
  • Skyjacker
  • Maxxis Tires
I just don't see why they couldn't do the same for us?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Congrats to REI for supporting something that will keep them in business for years to come...shame on the 4x4 industry for not doing the same
Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
Congrats to REI for supporting something that will keep them in business for years to come...shame on the 4x4 industry for not doing the same
I would say the same thing except that the money they give is used not only to support hikers but to exclude ALL other users from the forest. REI is selling its soul to the devil in the name of profit and they know it. I used to shop at REI and even had one of their special little member cards. No longer will they recieve a single dime of my money until they stop supporting anti everyone but us groups. If they were truly interested in doing good things for the enviroment as they claim then they coulf find better ways to do it.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
I would say the same thing except that the money they give is used not only to support hikers but to exclude ALL other users from the forest. REI is selling its soul to the devil in the name of profit and they know it. I used to shop at REI and even had one of their special little member cards. No longer will they recieve a single dime of my money until they stop supporting anti everyone but us groups. If they were truly interested in doing good things for the enviroment as they claim then they coulf find better ways to do it.
I know you think that REI is the debbil, but my point was that they are supporting what they believe in...it is not all about profit...they are actually a great company. Giving back to the community, great place to work, responsible manufacturing processes, green building practices, etc.

It would be really great if some of the companies in the offroad industry were willing to offer similar support...I guess they are too worried about making money. Imagine what could be accomplished with that level of support.

It just sucks for us, that REI is in a position to donate...the employees actually decide where the money goes. The process works like this:

Quote:
REI employees nominate organizations, projects, and programs in which they are personally involved to receive funding or gear donations. During 2008, REI granted $3.7 million to more than 395 of our community partners. For more information, click here.
Read up on how REI Gives. I have actually thought about nominating PNW4WDA for a grant, but we all know that this org does not fit the profile they are looking for
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
And honestly...if we had an offroad company throwing money at us...do you really think any of it would be spent on supporting hikers in the woods? Heck no...it would all be dumped back into efforts to support motorized recreation...which would then ultimately support sales for the company donating the money.

Think about it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM

Your missing my point. There is nothing wrong with supporting your "customers" the point is the money is directly or indirectly used to keep everyone on else out of the woods. All you have to do is read a little of WTAs and Jonathan Guzzos retoric to understand that they wont be happy until all motorized use is eraticated from OUR forests. As far as asking them for a grant good luck. I went down that road before asking for help building bridges to protect streams (after all they claim to want to protect the enviroment) I was told flat out no that they only support "muscle" powered sports. To bad since so many of us camp hunt and hike as well not to mention all the folks I know with mountain bikes. REI is loosing a huge chunk of the market simply due to the fact that they cant see beyound WTA and what its doing with the money it gets from them. As a employee of REI your in a prime position to help them see whats really going on and show them that ALL the forests users can be responsible users and that we ALL should have access to OUR forests. I can only hope your working in that direction with them
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
And honestly...if we had an offroad company throwing money at us...do you really think any of it would be spent on supporting hikers in the woods? Heck no...it would all be dumped back into efforts to support motorized recreation...which would then ultimately support sales for the company donating the money.

Think about it.
We have a few vendors that support us. Maybe not to the point that WTA gets but some none the less. The big differance is that we dont use what they give us to lock hikers out of the woods or close their trails or bankrupt their funding now do we
Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
As a employee of REI your in a prime position to help them see whats really going on and show them that ALL the forests users can be responsible users and that we ALL should have access to OUR forests. I can only hope your working in that direction with them
You should have heard the conversation I recently had with a Senior VP @ REI...he was asking me about my interests & what brought me to REI. My reply caught him off guard at first, but we actually had a decent conversation. Apparently he has a cabin in Mazama & spends lots of time over there in the winter...his favorite activity is snow camping. They load up a sled with camping goodies, hitch it up to their snowmobile & plow deep out into the woods. He said he likes how it lets him get lots of heavy gear out into the woods for some beautiful snow camping.

REI is going to donate to whom they choose...let's quit knocking them for that & try to beat them at their own game.

Why can't we get a higher level of participation from companies in the offroad industry? I am new to this so I am curious to hear what has happened in the past? I know you & the PNW4WDA have a long history...so let's hear it