Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Yacolt Burn
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

Default Local Man Attacked by Lion in Yacolt Burn

Front page of the Neighbors section of the Columbian today:

Headline reads:

"Local Man Attacked by Lion - Barely Escapes with Life"

Local authorities are investigating a Lion attack in the Dole Valley area of the Yacolt Burn in SW Washington. A local man, Bill Hutchens, was attacked by a small lion while working with a 4x4 volunteer group that was restoring a wetlands area that was previously damaged by vandals in the Yacolt Burn.

Witnesses from the volunteer group, Pistons Wild Motorsports, say that it was very strange to see a lion in this area, as they are not indigenous to the Pacific Northwest. Mr. Hutchens is grateful to be alive and gives thanks to the bystanders who distracted the Lion with a stick while he escaped to safety.

Volunteer group leader, Darel Crowder of Pistons Wild Motorsports, uses local tree phone to alert animal control that there is a Lion loose in the area and to notify local residents.

Dan Friesz, a biologist for the Department of Natural Resources, displays the Willow switch that he used to distract the Lion from terrorizing Mr. Hutchens.

See the full story tonight on KATU Channel 2 News at 11:00pm.

Photos courtesy of photographer Richard Dominiak.

What's more believable to the public - a lion in the Yacolt Burn or a 4x4 Group restoring a wetland area ? ? ?

Piston's Wild Motorsports
www.pistonswild.com
PNW4WDA Member for 25 Years
(360) 606-1648

"SARCASM - because beating the crap out of people is illegal."

Last edited by PistonsChick; 03-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Fun read. As stated under another thread, thank you Crystal and Pistons Wild for all your work. You guys give 110% and it is appreciated.
PNW4WDA and Region 2 Public Relations
Real Deal Doe Run Member
Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
ForestWatchVP.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsChick View Post
What's more believable to the public - a lion in the Yacolt Burn or a 4x4 Group restoring a wetland area ? ? ?
A lion in the Yacolt Burn.
Nice story.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

Default 4x4 Image - Perception -vs- Reality

Here is the real story (behind the lion story)

The Final Phase of the Dole Valley Restoration Project – IS ON!

Sunday - March 1, 2009

Quote:
NOTE: Please carpool where possible as parking is limited at the work site.

There will be NO OPPORTUNITIES for off-roading on this day - only gravel service roads are open at this time for 4x4 or ATV operation.

Be prepared to crawl over a rock barricade and hike approximately 1-mile on uneven terrain to access the work area. We will likely be working in muddy/wet conditions. Rubber boots are almost a necessity. The weather forecast calls for rain and about 40° - rain gear might be a good idea.

Bring work gloves and sharp pruning shears and/or loppers if you have them. We will be taking cuttings from vegetation in the area (Willows etc) and replanting them in the previously damaged areas. This project should take about 2-3 hours.

This is a sensitive wetlands area that was severely damaged by illegal 4x4’s last Spring. Our crew went in and repaired the damage on the ground in August of 2008. This work party is the effort to go back in and replant vegetation in the damaged areas so that it can continue to heal itself. Dan Friesz is the DNR biologist that will be working with us on this project tomorrow.

This was one of those "situations" that increased the tension between the 4X4 community and DNR and Fish & Wildlife in regards to the future of the Yacolt Burn recreation opportunities. Our involvement with this project has had a tremendous impact on the 4x4 recreationist image with some very high levels of the DNR. As an added bonus, Fish & Wildlife has backed down at this time.
I have attached a few progression pictures of the damaged site taken last spring immediatly following the damage and then again in August during the first phase of the restoration project and finally, pictures from Sunday, March 1, 2009 immediately following the replanting work party.

#1 SPRING 2008

#1 AUGUST 2008

#1 3/1/09 REPLANTING

#2 SPRING 2008

#2 AUGUST 2008

#1 3/1/09 REPLANTING

Since posting the "lion story" yesterday, I've had some people imply that I may have photoshopped some of the images and brought props with me into the forest in a pre-planned effort to create the "lion" story.

In actuality, the storyline did not come to me until Monday, when I was reviewing the pictures taken by our designated photographer (Rick Dominiak). At the time, I was preparing to write a 4x4 Public Relations story to sumbit to the Columbian. I was in a bit of a funk about the whole task because I just knew that no matter how careful I was in writing the story and submitting pictures that the Columbian (a known anti-motorized publication) would either twist my words or just ignore the story in its entirety.

I then decided to write a storyline that might actually get pubished and sneak in the facts about the 4x4 group restoring a wetland and leave it up to the public to determine what was more believable -- a lion in the Yacolt Burn or a 4x4 group restoring a wetland area...

About the pics -- both "lion" pics are real images (not edited). That is Bill's dog "Macey" - she has skin alergies and they sometimes shave her to alleviate the itch - the groomer thought it might be funny to do a "lion cut" this time around. Bill is an applicant member for Piston's Wild - he obviously possesses the twisted sense of humor required to be a full fledged member...

One of the problems with this area is that is was used pretty regularly for dumping garbage. The "tree phone" was actually a phone, that we found, in a tree as we were leaving the work area. Darel was being funny - Rick snapped the pic.

The picture of Dan Friesz (who is actually a DNR biologist) was taken while he was giving the group our orientation about which end of the cutting to place into the ground and how deep to plant them.

So there you have it -- "The True Story" - not nearly as entertaining but still worth posting.

Special thanks go out to the "PNW (Fullsize) 4x4" Internet club from St. Helens, Oregon who came out to help: Randy Timmerman, Dan Hinkel and Kat Freeman and the kids (Destinee, Tiara and Kolby)

Kudos to our two new applicant club members, Bill Hutchens and Jon Halleaux who have been huge work party supporters since the very first day we met them - someday we'll actually go wheelin' -- I promise...

And as always, thank you to my club members: Darel Crowder, Rick & Kira Dominiak, Lance & Margaret Scheidler, Dave Huttula, Bill Meyer and Bill Manbeck - this project would just be dust in the wind without your ongoing dedication...

www.pistonswild.com
(360) 606-1648

Last edited by PistonsChick; 03-03-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Nice work. :super:

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Very creative, you had me going.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 PM
rollin

that is a great story, congrats for piqueing my and the general publics interest.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Resident Ankle Biter

Default FINISHED PRODUCT - Dole Valley Wetland Restoration Project

FINISHED PRODUCT - Dole Valley Wetland Restoration Project

Updated: July 18, 2009

Darel, Rick, Kira and I took a quick run out in the Jeep to take a look at how the Dole Valley Wetland Restoration Project was progressing.

We were very pleased to see that almost all of the "sticks" that we planted on March 1st, 2009 were sprouting leaves and that the area was well on it's way to recovery.

While we were there, we noticed some Tanzy (noxious weeds) just starting to infiltrate the area -- so Darel & Rick took some time to pull up all of them that they could find. They pulled them up by the root and left them to die a slow death on the hot rocks near the road.

Overall, we were very happy with the success of this project and I would like to thank all of the club members and guests who worked on this endeavor. This project started in the Spring of 2008 when some irresponsible wheelers slogged down a dead end trail and devastated this delicate wetland area - squarely placing yet another black eye on the sport of 4-Wheeling. Both vegetation and wildlife were severely impacted by this trespass.

As you can see by the following pictures - with some help from Dan Friesz (DNR Biologist) and some hardworking members and guests of Pistons Wild Motorsports - this project was well worth the effort and has been a great learning opportunity for those of us involved.

I believe it has given each of us a stronger and more confident voice as we work to educate those who would destroy the resources we have each personally worked so hard to protect.

BEFORE #1 (August 2008 - no Spring 2008 pic avail)

CLEAN-UP #1 (August 2008)

REPLANT #1 (March 2009)

FINAL #1 (July 2009)

BEFORE #2 (Spring 2008)

CLEAN-UP #2 (August 2008)

REPLANT #2 (March 2009)

FINAL #2 (July 2009)
www.pistonswild.com
(360) 606-1648