Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage Break it/Fix it

Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Friends

Default cj7 exhaust upgrade won't pass DEQ??

hey guys,
i'm taking the stock exhaust out of my 84 cj7 and replacing it with headers and hopefully dual exhaust.
the guy at the exhaust shop down the road said that it would not pass DEQ in portland if i made it into a dual exhaust set up because dual exhaust is not stock.
he said that they probably wouldn't even test it because it's not stock.
is this true? even if it had two cats and two mufflers on it?
has anyone else heard this or run into this problem?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Friends

In colorado springs I ran into the same problem. On my mustang it came stock with a single exhaust and because of that it needed to only have 1 cat, in order to dual it I would need to do it after the cat that makes no point of dualing the exhaust but they wouldnt let me run 2 cats. Of course I also got introuble for converting to EFI from the stock carb system. When tested I had way less polutants then I was allowed but got failed beause it was a different set up!!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
The One that Screws it up

Stupid Emissions
DogpoundOffroad
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Cherokee Master

Luckily for the rest of us, as of now it is only the tri-county area and Medford. Best thing would be call DEQ and run the problem by them, and be sure to document who you talk to and GET IT IN WRITING.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Friends

i will be calling them today. i'd really hate to build it one way and then change it again when it's too old to be tested in portland, of course that's five years away so....
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Friends

the head of deq testing in oregon called me today and told me that they stopped looking at components last year or year before last so i can legally put a dual exhaust in as long as i have two cats as well. he said that the only thing that i might have a problem with is noise, it may be too loud afterwards even with mufflers.

just updating this thread in case anyone was still reading it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Friends

Im really glad to hear this.
what is the rules on exhuast noise? In colorado it was up to the discretion of the officer, so if he was into ricers then fart cans were ok but not a slight rumble of a 351w
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2fords View Post
Im really glad to hear this.
what is the rules on exhuast noise? In colorado it was up to the discretion of the officer, so if he was into ricers then fart cans were ok but not a slight rumble of a 351w
WA. law states that a vehicles exhaust may not be modified in a way that makes it any louder than it came from the factory. My son got a ticket for this very thing in his VW Golf which was quieter than most trucks and way quieter than any school bus I always wonder how the harlys get away with this with their very loud and annoying exhaust noise
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Friends

thats a interesting way to enforce the law, that means that 90% of 50 state legal exhaust is not legal in Washington!!

I wish it was just a decible level from a certain amount of feet from vehicle, that would be an easy and defined way to determine if it is conforming to the law.

even that Washington does it leaves it up to a small amount of speculation, is it from when the car was new or after 15 years?? If it was just a set decible for al vehicles it would just be so simple!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Friends

the guy at the exhaust shop said it was something like 90 decibels. at least i think that's what he said. he didn't tell me how far from the jeep either. that isn't very loud, but as long as one doesn't race the engine it shouldn't be a problem.
the deq guy said he didn't know because that wasn't his department, his job was just to make sure the air stayed clean.