Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Forum Leader

The total of 1700 miles is an accurate figure, possibly even low. The total comes from TMPs, currently proposed trail systems and trails systems in the construction stages located on the Deschutes, Ochoco, Willamette, Freemont and Winema forests. It is a direct result of coordinating various user groups and PNW clubs using the same model that Arlene does. It is also a testament to what we can do when we refuse to take "no" for an answer and refuse to continue doing things the same old way.
PNW Forum Leader Team Member
Region 6 Delegate
Bend, Oregon
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Cherokee Master

Thank you for the clarification. You do realize that in Deschutes/Ochocho, Freemont/Winema and Willamette that ROD's have not yet been signed and all that is subject to change. While you have done well, it would be somewhat premature to start counting mile just yet, especially since Willamette is not likely to grant any ML 1 roads and I don't see any desiginated class II trails outside of Santiam Pass area

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Oregon State Director

Long ago when I was very young, a friend of mine had a chicken farm. One of his favorite sayings was “never count the chickens at night”. For months I wondered what this meant. Finally one day I asked him why. We were within ear shot of his father and the little boy answered me that no matter how carefully he closed the door the night before the fox always got in and carried off some of the chickens by morning. I looked at the big doors and they looked mighty and strong and I could not imagine a fox getting through them. His father turned and seeing me frowning soooo said, “You need not worry he always leaves more than he takes”.

In reality the old chicken farmer arose each morning about two hours ahead of his little egg gathers and due to nature and perhaps a fox or skunk some chickens had perished during the night and due to the carnivorous nature of the other chickens the first job was to remove the dead ones from the chicken pen. His second job was to dispatch any chickens not laying or not looking so well for the soup pot which he sold to the surrounding stores and neighbors. The fox was an easy way to say to his young’ns that some of the chickens had gone to heaven and it kept each child mindful of keeping the doors locked up tight.

The moral of this story is simple however; don’t count your chickens till the morning daylight that way one can see how many he really truly has.
There is another story that comes to mind it was originally Chicken Licken later known as Chicken Little. Perhaps some should take the time to read it. Depending on the version and whom you are the moral changes from book to book and from person to person. In one the Chicken jumps to a conclusion and whips the populace into Mass Hysteria and the fox uses this to manipulate them for his own benefit; mainly his dinner pot. The other moral and the one I believe in is the happy version which teaches us a lesson. This lesson is not to be a Chicken, but to have courage and take the time to truly figure out what hit you on the head, where it really came from and adjust. Above all do not believe everything you are told by a hysterical Chicken with no guts.

We here in Region 6 have spent hours, days, weeks months and now years with Chicken Licken. There is no way to understand her Hysteria but at least she is no longer leading us to a foxy loxy dinner pot. However if you continue to sit on your hands and allow untruths to flow from your lips perhaps you can stir up a few henny penny, goosey loosies etc to follow you to the lands of no trails.

Neither I nor any of us will follow you down this path. As we are carefully laying our fire pits and oiling up our pans for our own dinner party. We will be joining hundreds of Motorized users on new trails that will be designated 4X4 trails in the next few years. It matters so little if these trails number 17 miles or 3300 miles; there will be more then than there is today.

Yes we are at war with the anti-access groups. They have a pledge; which is to remove all motorized vehicles (mechanized machines) from public lands, period. Approximately 97 percent of all Americans accessing public lands do not believe in this goal. This is the simple thing we are trying to stop. The majority of Americans want the right to access public lands in a motorized vehicle for what ever reason. It is simple; you can join us or sit on your hands; it is your choice. If you are sitting on your hands please remain silent as that is the message the rest of the world hears, your silence. Add your vehicles to foxy loxy dinner pot as it has no value.

One day the smoke and dust will clear and as in any war some will win and others will loose. I will not sit on my hands or my past deeds; as my dream is for our great great grand children’s children to drive my jeep on the trails made by the people of Region 6 and other PNW clubs long after my bones are dust. Our strength is in numbers and we need each and every one of you to help us to achieve the above goal. It is a worthy one and it will help us to become one strong adversary that stands toe to toe against the anti-access groups.

* Wikipedia: Depending on the version of the story the moral changes, in the "happy ending" version, the moral is not to be a "Chicken", but to have courage. In other versions the moral is usually interpreted to mean "do not believe everything you are told". In the latter case, it could well be a cautionary political tale: The Chicken jumps to a conclusion and whips the populace into mass hysteria, which the unscrupulous fox uses to manipulate them for his own benefit, sometimes as supper.

Respectfully submitted: Randy Drake
Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Cherokee Master

Article in last nights Albany paper on the new Forest Supervisor for Willamette. No mention of any OHV experience or leanings, but plenty of comments on birding, kyacking, etc.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
BOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
Article in last nights Albany paper on the new Forest Supervisor for Willamette. No mention of any OHV experience or leanings, but plenty of comments on birding, kyacking, etc.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/willamette/n...orest-sup.html

Springfield, OR – Regional Forester Mary Wagner announced today that Meg Mitchell will be the new Forest Supervisor for the 1.7 million acre Willamette National Forest. “I’m so pleased that Meg will be leading the Willamette into this next decade of forest management” said Wagner. “So many important challenges confront our National Forests as we seek to fulfill our long tradition of service in our communities. Meg brings a strong background in natural resources and communities; I’m confident that Meg’s ethic of service will be a great fit for the Willamette.”

Mitchell comes to the Willamette National Forest with 20 years of service in the agency, most recently as Forest Supervisor on the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests in Vermont. Mitchell has also worked in Washington, DC for three years and Alaska for nine years. The summers of her youth were spent with the The Nature Conservancy and Colorado State Extension Service. Mitchell has a degree in Landscape Architecture from Colorado State University and a Masters in Forestry from the University of Idaho. “I’m looking forward to serving on the Willamette and being a part of their strong tradition of providing high quality services and sustainable products, managing public lands with future generations in mind. The Willamette is known for its highly motivated employees and strong relationships with the scientific community and other partners. On a personal note, I’m thrilled to be returning to the landscapes of the Pacific Northwest, and am especially looking forward to exploring the Willamette’s world class waters, recreation areas, and Wildernesses.”

Kim Titus will serve as the acting Forest Supervisor until Mitchell arrives in mid-October. Kim currently serves as the Branch Director in Planning, Science and Resource Information for Bureau of Land Management’s Oregon State Office in Portland. For further information, please contact Judith McHugh at 541.225.6305.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Cherokee Master

Actually this is the one I refered to.

http://www.democrathearld.com/news/l...cc4c03286.html

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
BOD

Green Mountain, VT is home to Green Mountain College. It is one of the few and premier colleges based upon environementalist principles and sustainability. When the USFS has had it's surveys, they come from Green Mountain College. Since the new supervisor is from that area and the environmental slant is so great in that area, I think that we are going to have to work very hard with her to get OHV on the map. I find the comment that she thinks of Willamette Forest being "big water" and that the activity here is water based....to me it shows she has a very limited understanding of this forest as it is more than big water.

The ox is slow but the earth is patient