Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Overworked and Underpaid

Dirt Bike: Never
ATV: Never
UTV: Never
4x4: Lots

Injuries: None
www.4x4TrailInfo.com
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Washington State Director

Wet blanket time and just me being paranoid. I have a real concern about filling out a survey showing how dangerous ORVs are or can be. where is this information going and to what end ? Just my opinion as a person.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Hammer Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
My son is doing a research paper (high-school senior) on off-road related injuries and is trying to gather some data. Is there any way I can get you guys to fill out his survey for him? If you have multiple family members feel free to add them also. No need to get too descriptive with the answers. You can PM me or reply to this thread. He appreciates your help.
Also, even if no injuries your input is appreciated. Please always include your (approximate) age!!
Thanks!
Jeff and Wes.

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? Male

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Please answer 1), very often 2), seldom 3), never

Dirt Bike? 1

ATV? 1

UTV? 3

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? 1

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle? Broken wrist, Split knee that needed stitches

(Example: Broken Arm, Concussion, Cut Leg and needed 8 stitches, etc)

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries? 20, then 22 both on my dirtbike
Hoping this is going to show how safe UTV's can be. They are getting quite a bit of heat lately.

Last edited by 426rider; 12-01-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Friends

Quote:
My son is doing a research paper (high-school senior) on off-road related injuries and is trying to gather some data. Is there any way I can get you guys to fill out his survey for him? If you have multiple family members feel free to add them also. No need to get too descriptive with the answers. You can PM me or reply to this thread. He appreciates your help.
Also, even if no injuries your input is appreciated. Please always include your (approximate) age!!
Thanks!
Jeff and Wes.

ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? Male Female

2 Have you ever used an Off Road Vehicle, and what type of vehicle was it? Please answer 1), very often 2), seldom 3), never

Dirt Bike?1

ATV? 2

UTV?

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)?

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? Yes No

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle? Broken tibia, broken patella, dislocated toe and more bruises than I can count.

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries?
38-42
Here's mine
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Overworked and Underpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Wet blanket time and just me being paranoid. I have a real concern about filling out a survey showing how dangerous ORVs are or can be. where is this information going and to what end ? Just my opinion as a person.
I don't really know Jeff and Wes, but I have met them when I went to their place to pick up a Jeep frame they gave to me. He originally offered it to me on the old PNW4WDA forum about 3 years ago after I broke mine at Creek 'n' Trail.

They own at least one mildly built Jeep and I think they also have motorcycles.

I am sure they are not anti-motorized nuts looking for ammunition to use against us.
www.4x4TrailInfo.com

Last edited by ADragoo; 12-02-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder

Quote:
ORV Injury Survey
1 What is your gender? Male

Dirt Bike? Never

ATV? Never

UTV? Never

Off-road only 4x4 (rock crawler, racer)? Very Often

3 If yes have you ever received moderate or severe injuries while using an Off Road Vehicle? No

4 If yes, what type of injury or injuries did you receive while using an Off Road Vehicle?

5 What was your age (or ages if multiple) when you received your injuries?

Hope this helps

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Relax, it's for my kids english class in high school. He is an avid dirtbiker and so am I. He needed to conduct some type of survey as a class project. I only reached out to you guys because I used to be a member years ago and was curious of the 4x4 communities respose. (RIP Sodbusters 4x4 club, WA County, OR) I still have a sweet CJ5 that I enjoy playing with. And I lurk on your site. This survey couldn't be more 1-sided as I only posted it on this site (the only 4x4 site) and 2 dirt bike forums, GasGasRidersClub (we both own GasGas dirt bikes), and ThumperTalk. If we wanted to do a real analysis it would be better to stand in front of Walmart to get a real x-section of society. As it is every dirt biker that has responded (except 2) and I have close to 50 responses, have had major injuries. But these are all hard core riders/racers. I don't race my bike as I hate pain. And my Jeep has a full cage and I (and my passengers) always wear seat belts. And as you can see by your members responses when it comes to injuries in the PNW4WDA, there really aren't any.
I am trying to compile all the info now. The way the questions were presented it is hard to organize all the information received. And we aren't making a 4x4 vs dirt bike comparison, all info is being lumped into the final results so like I said, this info isn't very accurate and we aren't going to publish it anywhere unless someone pm's me and wants the final tally. Thanks for all of your help as we won't be using any more input after this post.

Thanks again,
Jeff and Wes
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragoo View Post
I don't really know Jeff and Wes, but I have met them when I went to their place to pick up a Jeep frame they gave to me. He originally offered it to me on the old PNW4WDA forum about 3 years ago after I broke mine at Creek 'n' Trail.

They own at least one mildly built Jeep and I think they also have motorcycles.

I am sure they are not anti-motorized nuts looking for ammunition to use against us.

Thanks Alan.
This really came around because the kid wanted to do a dirtbike orientated survey. He wants to race the Desert 100 this coming spring in Odessa. And I'm pushing 50 and was curious to see what kind of pattern I could put together for off-road racing injuries on motorcycles. It started as dirt bike only but he wanted to get as close to 100 responses as possible so I included your website.
It really is amazing to read the responses from some of these folks. You would think they would have ditched 2 wheels years ago in favor of something with seatbelts and a roll cage!!

I do understand Jim's concerns. If I was gathering all of this data from the local ORV area and the results were this lopsided you would have 3/4 of the population voting to ban all types atv's and motorcycles. But everyone will have to keep in mind that most of the responses from the 2 dirtbike forums are probably 85% racers. When you race dirt bikes competitively your WILL get hurt.

Here is my turn to air my dirty laundry for all of you to see...
48yr old male
ride dirt bikes often since 5yrs old.
1 detached ACL at 44yrs, no other injuries.
No 4x4 injuries, owned a CJ5 (not always the same one) for 25yrs. Raced rarely at fun-day events. Anyone remember the Pollak Playdays at Virgil Marcus's?
used to desert race a single seat buggy (VW power) for 5 yrs. Had a few rollovers but no injuries.

My kid is 17
riding since age 5
4x4's? Are you kidding?? He don't drive my Jeep haha!
No dirt bike injuries to date (knock on wood)
Now, wrestling is a sport to ban (just kidding). He broke his radius and ulna in 4 spots last year. Surgery included 2 plates, 16 screws, and 60 staples. And 3 nights stay in the hospital!

Thanks again for all the responses.

Jeff.

Last edited by jostby; 12-11-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: speeling eroor!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Hammer Down!

One injury I forgot to post about was when I rode the desert 100 just 3 years ago. I broke 2 toes at about Mile 10 or so, I was only riding half the race as I had a partner in the team class so I rode about 40 miles with broken toes and a blown out MC boot on that foot. It stopped hurting about 5 miles after it happened though. I couldn't feel it until I was done riding, then it pounded for 5 hours driving home. One of the best experiences I have had on my dirtbike though. For those that think lining up on a MX start gate against 30 others on a groomed track is nerve racking try it on open desertland with rock outcroppings, 3 ft tall sagebrush and 997 dirtbikes all trying to be first over the top of a small hill that is maybe 50 ft wide 3/4 of a mile away.