Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Around the Camp Fire > Camp Fire Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Camp Fire Chat Pull up a chair sit down and talk

Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Cherokee Master

Just because he does not have a big post count does not mean that they don't keep tabs on what's happening here. Rick knows what is going on in the PNW, just as Angie does. Granted she is a more frequent visitor here than he is, and has more posts due to her involvement with WOHVA.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
Just because he does not have a big post count does not mean that they don't keep tabs on what's happening here. Rick knows what is going on in the PNW, just as Angie does. Granted she is a more frequent visitor here than he is, and has more posts due to her involvement with WOHVA.
I don't know Rick at all...so please don't think my questions are meant to bash on him.

If the PNW4WDA is interested in connecting with ALL wheelers, then the next president should be willing to actively participate in the forum.

How many times have we been discussing an issue online & needed the opinion of a veteran member or wondered what a member of the board thought on an issue. PNW4WDA members have been at this thing for many years...it is time to start sharing some stories & experiences with the younger generations (thank you to those that already participate online ).

I copied Rick's message from the TriPower...

Quote:
PNW4WDA Association President 2010

Greetings, my name is Rick Smith. I am seeking nomination to and
running for the offi ce of PNW4WDA Association President 2010.
I have been in the Association since 1988. Here are a few of
the things that I have done since 1988. I was on the committee that
mapped The Tillamook State Forest. I have help on several work
parties that have taken place in the Tillamook State Forest. Our club
has adopted a trail in which we do maintain throughout the year.
I was on the board for the Team Trophy Challenge. I was president
for Flat Broke & 4 Wheelin 4x4 Club 8 different times and a member
since 1988. I am also member of Hubís Inn and Sand Fleaís
and Mud a Rama. I have also been the Director of Region 3 of
PNW4WDA for the past 4 years.
I have been in the woods since I was a child on my dirt bike and with
my dad in his 4x4. I fi nd great joy in being in the forest recreating
in the appropriate areas and educating the people on how to tread
lightly in the forest. Itís also nice to be able to show my grandsons
that this is the place to play and have fun with our sport.
Thank You,
Rick Smith
It sounds like he has a few years of experience under his belt...too bad he doesn't share that knowledge with the folks online.

I wouldn't expect the new president to be a social butterfly on the forum, but they could at least provide some occasional comments & weigh in on selected issues. I think it would help our online discussions develop to a point that physical meetings would be more effecient & an educated vote could take place.

Plus, it would allow folks to get to know their president a little better.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Cherokee Master

I did not take it as a "bashing" in any manner. I will agree that ALL Board members, both elected and appointed should be active on here.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Old Goat

I think whoever gets the Office of Prez. should look into posting comments as a blog. I think part of what keeps these officers from communicating with the members of this forum is the percieved bashing they see. Posting as a blog provides a shield. Once done other positions would see and follow. I don't see much value in this forum, espeically with the vast number of forums currently operating. A very well prepared and constantly updates frontpage is all we need.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
I think whoever gets the Office of Prez. should look into posting comments as a blog. I think part of what keeps these officers from communicating with the members of this forum is the percieved bashing they see. Posting as a blog provides a shield. Once done other positions would see and follow. I don't see much value in this forum, espeically with the vast number of forums currently operating. A very well prepared and constantly updates frontpage is all we need.
Ah, ya old fart..

There is a social component and a fun component to all this. Look at all the discussion we have in so many areas here. There is a huge value to this forum and we have yet to even touch its potential.

:Cob:
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin

Last edited by JeepNirvana; 12-24-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Waugh View Post
I did not take it as a "bashing" in any manner. I will agree that ALL Board members, both elected and appointed should be active on here.
cool

Quote:
My initial response
Arlene seems to be capable of posting & returning PM's in a professional manner. The bashing excuse is old & tired...I think folks just need to put on their big girl panties & start typing

The forums aren't that bad when folks keep the communication professional...it seems to go sideways when things get personal.
My official response
A blog would be a step in the right direction.

At my work the CEO of the company has a page on our intranet (our internal network) where ANY employee in the company (7,000 plus) can ask a question. This allows the CEO time to consult, research & discuss BEFORE posting an official answer to the question.

Maybe this could be something added to the Members Only section...that way difficult questions could be asked & solid answers could be given.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 PM
<----Busy Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post

Maybe this could be something added to the Members Only section...that way difficult questions could be asked & solid answers could be given.
I believe a sub forum could be created in the members area where we could fiddle with the permissions to make it bloglike.

Edward is the guru in this department if the BOD wants it pretty sure we can make it happen.

:Cob:
Cascade4x4s
Webteam member
Forum Admin
Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:

You have got to be kidding?!?! This is one of the best tools we could have! The anti access drones are pros at the net thing, and get results. How come we ain't? Go look at their sites. REAL HARD. No value my a##!!

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 12-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Overworked and Underpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You have got to be kidding?!?! This is one of the best tools we could have! The anti access drones are pros at the net thing, and get results. How come we ain't? Go look at their sites. REAL HARD. No value my a##!!
Merrick did not say there was no value in having a web site. He said that he doesn't see much value in this forum.

I agree with him that the main parts of the web site are more important than the forum, but I do believe the forum can be a useful part of the site, for discussing issues and just getting to know other members of the association.

As far as "the anti access drones", very few of them have forums:

Center for Biological Diversity (http://www.biologicaldiversity.org): Lots of press releases about what they are doing and how they feel about events, no forum.

PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility) (http://www.peer.org): Lots of press releases about what they are doing and how they feel about events, no forum.

The Wilderness Society (http://wilderness.org): Press releases, blogs, and links to news articles about what they are doing and how they feel about events, no forum.

The Sierra Club (http://www.sierraclub.org): Press releases, etc. about what they are doing and how they feel about events, no forum.

Wildlands CPR (Center for the Prevention of Roads) (http://www.wildlandscpr.org): Press releases, blogs, links to news articles about what they are doing and how they feel about events, no forum.
www.4x4TrailInfo.com
Old 12-25-2009, 09:24 AM

Mmmm, good point! Too bad I'm not more 'puter friendly or I'd dig at some of their sites to see what may be hidden. Think I'll register on a couple of 'em today (unless they discover my true nature) and see what pops out of the woodwork

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing