Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Annual Events > Trail Jamboree
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Jamboree locked and loaded

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Old Goat

Used to be that every rig in the forest had to carry an axe, shovel and a bucket. That was the law. Seems every able bodied man could be inscripted on the spot to fight a fire just by being in the forest. So they figured you would be of some use fighting a fire if you were required to have the tools.

I asked the ORV Ranger in the Naches District if that was still being enforced. The answer was no. That todays firefighter is highly trained and someone/anyone off the streets would be a danger to theirselves and those around them. Besides not to mention the liability if something were to happen to anyone besides the highly trained firefighter.

So the law does not exist or is not being enforced. But I have been onsite of a rollover in the forest where a forest fire was started by the engine fire from the rolled over vehicle. The bucket came in handy, so did the chainsaw, and for that matter so did the shovel. Have also been in the woods when lighting struck nearby and started a fire. Those tools came in handy again. Also used the shovel and bucket to recover gearoil from a breakdown.

So the Trail Jamboree's rule stands. We do not enforce it except to our host teams. We reqiure that the team be able to assemble those tools.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder

Thanks Merrick, I just did not recall that being in the rule last year and was wondering. Not a bad idea to bring that stuff anyway.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick Graves View Post
Used to be that every rig in the forest had to carry an axe, shovel and a bucket. That was the law. Seems every able bodied man could be inscripted on the spot to fight a fire just by being in the forest. So they figured you would be of some use fighting a fire if you were required to have the tools.

I asked the ORV Ranger in the Naches District if that was still being enforced. The answer was no. That todays firefighter is highly trained and someone/anyone off the streets would be a danger to theirselves and those around them. Besides not to mention the liability if something were to happen to anyone besides the highly trained firefighter.

So the law does not exist or is not being enforced. But I have been onsite of a rollover in the forest where a forest fire was started by the engine fire from the rolled over vehicle. The bucket came in handy, so did the chainsaw, and for that matter so did the shovel. Have also been in the woods when lighting struck nearby and started a fire. Those tools came in handy again. Also used the shovel and bucket to recover gearoil from a breakdown.

So the Trail Jamboree's rule stands. We do not enforce it except to our host teams. We reqiure that the team be able to assemble those tools.
Kind of hard to tell what's a rule and even worse what's enforced? Were does this indecision in rules leave a full size rig (90 k5 Blazer) who would like to attend the Trail Jamboree? (Remember Width Restrictions thread. Last I talked to you, you personally advised all full size rigs who tried to sign up or even sent money not to attend?)

Last edited by EagleMark; 01-22-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
"OLD GUY"

The SUV Jamboree was for the larger rigs. Unfortunately there were not enough users signing up so the SUV Jamboree was dropped . Why? because there was not a lot of participation. So the Trail Jamboree caters to the smaller rigs and the SUV Jamboree caters to the larger rigs, if we ever get enough interest and commitment from the full size guys then it might be started up again.
Cle Elum Ranger Dist. ORV Ranger
Build your rig to fit the trails, don't change the trails to fit your rig!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Never heard of it? When was the last time this event happened? For how many years?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
Never heard of it? When was the last time this event happened? For how many years?
x2...tell us more on this
Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Old Goat

The event has not been in this area for at least 6 or 7 years. It moved to Oregon and flickered out. It was loosely based on the TJ format. Everyone showed up Friday nite and signed in. Saturday morning started with breakfast served. Then a Jeep 101 like course was run.A Spotter guided you thru every section. Instruction was given on Winch and recovery. A neat short sidehill section was driven to show how extreme you could get before going over. Then a burger and chip lunch. Then everyone grouped up for a run. The host to guest ratio was 1 to 1 so that spotting and instruction was available to all. After a short afternoon run everyone enjoyed "Happy Hour" Waiting for dinner. Dinner was very well done. The Timber Tamers know food well and can put up a good meal. After dinner all relaxed and a raffle was held for wheeling stuff. Next morning again we had breakfast served and everyone headed for the same destination. Everyone grouped at the destination and a snack was provided. We all went back to camp and headed home by about 2:30 or so on Sunday afternoon.

This was an excellant event. Many who came did so because of the mellow trails. As I recall not to many true suv's were present. Just jeepers who couldn't make a midweek event. I truely enjoyed the event and was sorry to see it move. Tried to put it together again but was not able to handle 2 events. If a club steps up and does it well the event can again grow. I may even have a couple sponsors that may be interested.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Sounds like fun for a stock rig or a beginner. But not something I'd be looking for. Guess I'll just have to go to Nachess another weekend this summer.

What is the width restriction for the Trail Jam?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Location: Somewhere between the Port of Indecision and South of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
What is the width restriction for the Trail Jam?
75" on select trails as stated here;
http://www.pnw4wda.org/trailjam/trail_descriptions.htm

Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Wow there's a lot of trails with no width restrictions. Are these PNW4WDA width restrictions or Forrest service rules?

I can't understand why you chase away so many potential new members with rigs close to or over 75 inches? There's plenty of trails for over 75 inches? Seems like this is an attempt to keep the PNW4WDA a narrow jeep club?

Last edited by EagleMark; 01-22-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling