Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 10-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Default Moab Threat

Congress to Vote on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act This Thursday!

Moab Might Be Gone Forever!

Posted Today 01:35 PM by 4WOR Web Editor

Filed under: Miscellaneous, Jason Gonderman

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in
Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R.1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah.

These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback
riders.

Coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed 2 million acres of public lands, this vast Wilderness bill will take away additional recreation opportunities currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take
Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/al...ertid=14061961

Sep 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Best be making some phone calls on this NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 AM

Also in the Senate as S.799

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Cosponsors:

S.799 - Maria Cantwell (D-WA)

HR 1925 - Brian Baird (D-WA)
Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)
Peter DeFazio (D-OR)
Norm ****s (D-WA)
Jay Inslee (D-WA)
Rick Larsen (D-WA)
Jim McDermott (D-WA)
Adam Smith (D-WA)
David Wu (D-OR

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Class II web wheeler.

I might be a democrat, but that is just plain wrong. I like my wheeling areas and hope to someday try Moab.

Senator has been called and my opinion given.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM

During the hearing yesterday, Peter Metcalf speaks on behalf of the Outdoor Industry Association in support of HR 1925. Mentions some of the member companies, one being Cabela's. Afterward, several OHV users contact Cabela's and voice their concerns. A rep from Cabela's (David Draper) responds by posting on Pirate. This is one of his posts...

"I have been in contact with Frank Hugelmeyer, President and CEO of the Outdoor Industry Association, who has assured me the OIA has not taken a position on H.R. 1925. He has provided me with a statement, which I’ve posted below.

Again, I want to assure you Peter Metcalf does not speak for Cabela’s and it’s unfortunate he claimed to do so in his testimony yesterday. Cabela’s does not support H.R. 1925, or any legislation aimed at eliminating or restricting access to public lands.

I appreciate those who have reached out to help educate me about the issues you are facing and discuss ways in which Cabela’s can help promote and protect access for everyone who enjoys the outdoors.

David Draper
Cabela’s Inc.

OIA Statement on H.R. 1925

The Outdoor Industry Association Board of Directors has not taken a position on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act nor does it plan to take a position. The recent testimony of Peter Metcalf were his own statements and not OIA board approved.

OIA supports the full spectrum of recreational activities on public lands and represents the broad interests of its many outdoor manufacturer and retail members in the public policy arena.

The OIA public policy agenda is focused on ensuring a fair and proper treatment of the outdoor industry's innovative products as they move through the supply chain to retail and on pursuing increased investment for public lands and close-to-home recreation infrastructure.

Frank Hugelmeyer
President and CEO
Outdoor Industry Association "
Land Use Coordinator

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing