Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > - Wheeling reports and pics pics, pics, pics...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

- Wheeling reports and pics pics, pics, pics... Stories of the trail and race

Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
that WOHVA guy

Default WOW Rimrock Run

A few folks from the Wheelers of Washington (WOW) made a run over to Rimrock last weekend.

Anthony headed over FRI night...he hadn't been to Rimrock since he was in high school. Danielle & I headed over SAT morning...this was her first time ever & my third time (my first time on the FS1000 road).

I never did see a sign for Bakeoven Flats, but I did see one for Grey Creek Campground...we pulled in to check it out & found Anthony coming out to see us.

Unloaded the rigs...

Our camp was right at the exit for the 621 trail...lot's of steep down hill only trails on this side of the ridge...

Anthony had a buddy coming down from Cle Elum, so we set up the banner to help him find camp...

Waited awhile for John to show up & decided to head up to higher ground for cell phone reception. We headed up FS1000 to the 640 trail. Made it up to the top of Blue Slide & ran into 10+ guys out of Morton. They were fixing a brake line before dropping back down the hill. I told them a little about our group & handed them a card. I asked if they ever went to Elbe...they were not big fans of mud :haha: Getting ready to go & we heard John calling on the CB. Dropped back down to the road & scooped up John.

After meeting up with John, we ran 640 to 640A to 640 to 638...found some snow on 638 & I was reminded how much sticky tires suck in the white stuff. Flogged our junk on the snow climbs. Anthony powered up without any issues. John & I stomped on the skinny pedal, but ended up winching part of the hill.

Made it to Blue Lake...

And John discovered a broken 3 link in the front...the upper link mount truss had ripped completely off the housing. Lucky for us...I was still packing my buddy's ready welder around with me (thank you casey) and we were able to fix the problem.

Sweet fabrication...welded a few wrenches & one bottle jack handle on for support :super:

Did I mention it was really cold...we were all pretty frozen by the time we were moving again. Weather report called for clear skies...high of 40 and overnight low of 20. The clouds never burned off & it was cold.

Bumped into some of the Morton crew again & headed off to find Short & Dirty Ridge (637). Drove past Short & Dirty, but turned around before we went too far. Dropped down into some nice snowy sections...found a nice off camber spot covered in snow. I drove across, slide down & had to winch back up...same story with John. Anthony spanked it (it became a common theme for the trip).

Made it down out of the snow & took in the beautiful views from Short & Dirty Ridge. Decided to drop all the way off the end, try to circle back up & drop down back into camp. We almost made it down off the ridge, when John lost a track bar axle mount. This time it was dark, really cold & we just wanted to get back to camp...pulled out the welder, lined things back up, burned some metal & added a few more wrenches for strength. It wasn't our best work

Drove the rig out under its own power & up the road back to camp...rolled into camp around 11'ish. John loaded up & headed back to Cle Elum.

We turned up the heat in Anthony's camper & thawed out Danielle...she was pretty miserable. Anthony let us crash in his camper...so we slept pretty warm. With an overnight low of 20...I wasn't looking forward to tenting it
Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM
that WOHVA guy

It was 20 degrees when we woke up Sunday...my diesel really struggled to start

We wanted to run Pucker Ridge, so we loaded the rigs back on the trailers and headed down FS1000. Turned up FS1203 and found a nice place to park...

Unloaded the rigs & headed up to the trail head...

The trail still was holding a little snow, but the sunny weather made the chilly air tolerable...

Lots of steep rocky climbs...

We did a couple of poser pics...

Anthony...

Danielle & I...

Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 PM
that WOHVA guy

Not a fullsize friendly trail...

Rimrock Lake & Hwy 12 are off in the distance...

Made pretty good time & arrived at Pucker Ridge without any issues...

I climbed down the hill a little to get this shot...

It would have been a long ways down if I had slipped...I was down there

Dropped off of Pucker and continued down the trail...

At the end of the trail...

A section of the road had washed out & was pretty rough...these ecology blocks had signs warning drivers that 4 wheel drive was required.

Back at our new tow rig parking...we noticed a nasty looking fire pit...

Broke out the gloves & trash bags...

Cleaned it up & made a sweep of the area...

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 PM
that WOHVA guy

The area that we parked our tow rigs at was a nice group site that we could use next time...lots of room for tow rigs & easy access to the trails.

Loaded up & ready to head home...

Took the scenic drive around Rimrock Lake & Clear Lake...here is a nice shot of Clear Lake...

Our plan was to head back up Cayuse Pass & come down Chinook, but both signs said CLOSED when we got to the turn for Hwy 123. Headed home via Elbe instead...

Had a great time...the weather on Sunday was perfect!

Full run report & commentary can be found HERE

Click HERE for all 75 pictures taken on the run
Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
ForestWatchVP.org

Very nice report and killer pics!

Thanks for sharing. :super:

Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
Very nice report and killer pics!

Thanks for sharing. :super: