Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Elbe Hills ORV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Ceg_'s Avatar
Ceg_ Ceg_ is offline
ForestWatchVP.org
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Selah, Washington
Posts: 1,722
Default Elbe Hills info needed

We have a member that has land near Ashford for us to camp on. We are looking for info to do a run at Elbe Hills maybe next year.

What is the best time of year to wheel Elbe Hills where the water and mud are not so deep?

What are the good trails for rigs with 33s?

What trails need bigger then 33s?

Is Elbe Hills closed at any time or day?

Where to park Tow Rigs?

Do we need any type of permit or pass?
__________________
Clay Graham
PNW4WDA Region 4 Public Relations
PNW4WDA Beverly Dunes Coordinator



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
jim putman's Avatar
jim putman jim putman is offline
Washington State Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: puyallup wa.
Posts: 1,530
Default

July or August is the dryist and you can run all of the trails with 33s at that time. Like all DNR trails its closed at night. There is a campground there that can be reserved through the DNR (nancy) there is a parking area in front of the campground for tow rigs. No permit needed but if you want to use the campground you need to call ahead and reserve it.
__________________
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Ceg_'s Avatar
Ceg_ Ceg_ is offline
ForestWatchVP.org
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Selah, Washington
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
July or August is the dryist and you can run all of the trails with 33s at that time. Like all DNR trails its closed at night. There is a campground there that can be reserved through the DNR (nancy) there is a parking area in front of the campground for tow rigs. No permit needed but if you want to use the campground you need to call ahead and reserve it.
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why the trails are closed at night over there. The DNR trails in the SE Region are not closed at night.
__________________
Clay Graham
PNW4WDA Region 4 Public Relations
PNW4WDA Beverly Dunes Coordinator



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 PM
jim putman's Avatar
jim putman jim putman is offline
Washington State Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: puyallup wa.
Posts: 1,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why the trails are closed at night over there. The DNR trails in the SE Region are not closed at night.
Its stated somewhere in the DNR regs that all roads and trails are closed at night.
__________________
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2009, 05:13 PM
jim putman's Avatar
jim putman jim putman is offline
Washington State Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: puyallup wa.
Posts: 1,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Its stated somewhere in the DNR regs that all roads and trails are closed at night.
OK I just went looking thru their site (DNR) and I cant find anything about the night time rules. I know there have been issues at Elbe over this and I remember the signs. I will ask tomorrow at the work party and see if I can get some clarification.
__________________
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Ceg_'s Avatar
Ceg_ Ceg_ is offline
ForestWatchVP.org
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Selah, Washington
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
Its stated somewhere in the DNR regs that all roads and trails are closed at night.
I checked this out with Mike Williams (SE DNR Recreation Manager) when this was posted on NW-Wheelers earlier this year: http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37294.
Mike told me he has never heard of any law stating night closures. Either has Gary Maham (SP?) (SE DNR Officer).

I asked Kim Gunter (DNR wet side region) which posted about night time closures on NW-Wheelers. Kim said, "So the new WAC's are on a site by site basis, the new WAC is #332-52-400 so that is why SE does not have this rule out there."

I have no problem with the rule where it applies. I just wonder why this is a rule.
__________________
Clay Graham
PNW4WDA Region 4 Public Relations
PNW4WDA Beverly Dunes Coordinator




Last edited by Ceg_; 10-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Dogfather's Avatar
Dogfather Dogfather is offline
The One that Screws it up
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rochester, WA
Posts: 1,867
Default

Elbe + 33's + Cherokee = Broken Side Glass on Busy wild trail

Alder Loop Trail is Top Damaging but your Glass is safe, you will winch up Alder hill.

Swamp Second hole definit Winch even in the dry time.

If they Finish Rainier vista hill climb you will have to winch, right now a stock sammy can climb it.

your good on Sunrise, Mainline, Mainline extensions, Gotcha (caution in the hole it will root your right side) inner alder hill climbs.

if you reserve the camp ground there is more than enough room for 30+rigs back by the pavilion is room for the motor homes and travel trailers..

Shoot Dogpound a line when you want to come and some of us will come out and be your trail guides if you like...
__________________
Edward Campbell
The Webmaster "Oops I did it.....My Bad"
Region 2 Director 2008-2010 Glad to help.
DogpoundOffroad
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Ceg_'s Avatar
Ceg_ Ceg_ is offline
ForestWatchVP.org
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Selah, Washington
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
Elbe + 33's + Cherokee = Broken Side Glass on Busy wild trail

Alder Loop Trail is Top Damaging but your Glass is safe, you will winch up Alder hill.

Swamp Second hole definit Winch even in the dry time.

If they Finish Rainier vista hill climb you will have to winch, right now a stock sammy can climb it.

your good on Sunrise, Mainline, Mainline extensions, Gotcha (caution in the hole it will root your right side) inner alder hill climbs.

if you reserve the camp ground there is more than enough room for 30+rigs back by the pavilion is room for the motor homes and travel trailers..

Shoot Dogpound a line when you want to come and some of us will come out and be your trail guides if you like...
Great info.

I am not looking to winch a big group too many times in one day. I guess it depends on how many we have show up what trails we run.

I will let you know when we plan to come over. It would be great to wheel with you and a trail guide would be appreciated.
__________________
Clay Graham
PNW4WDA Region 4 Public Relations
PNW4WDA Beverly Dunes Coordinator



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
jim putman's Avatar
jim putman jim putman is offline
Washington State Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: puyallup wa.
Posts: 1,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceg_ View Post
Great info.

I am not looking to winch a big group too many times in one day. I guess it depends on how many we have show up what trails we run.

I will let you know when we plan to come over. It would be great to wheel with you and a trail guide would be appreciated.
summer time and dry with 33s and a locker there wont need to be a lot of winching.
__________________
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Ceg_'s Avatar
Ceg_ Ceg_ is offline
ForestWatchVP.org
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Selah, Washington
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
summer time and dry with 33s and a locker there wont need to be a lot of winching.
That is good. I am shooting for August.
__________________
Clay Graham
PNW4WDA Region 4 Public Relations
PNW4WDA Beverly Dunes Coordinator



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.