Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Evans Creek Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Is it true

Is it true that Evan's Creek is closed December 15 to March 15th this year?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM
that WOHVA guy

Technically....yes. The big question is, will it be enforced? I just talked to Ian Canaan & he plans on responding to the threads on WOW & NWW.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM
rollin

Thanks Bryan. Maybe we can cross post so we get the right information?? I figure the more communication the better.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 PM

I find this funny. The WOW president responds on the PNW website, but nothing from the PNW Land chair on this or even a notice posted so that others are informed.

Oh well.

It would be nice to at least see some information spread via the forum when issues like this come up.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
I find this funny. The WOW president responds on the PNW website, but nothing from the PNW Land chair on this or even a notice posted so that others are informed.

Oh well.

It would be nice to at least see some information spread via the forum when issues like this come up.
Sorry Dale I have this pesky thing called a job that has a way of keeping me away from the computer at times But yes Bryans right. We discussed all of this a while back when the FS was creating the plan (did you read it ? ) we had a couple of public meetings on this matter (did you go ? ) and we asked for comment letters (did you write ? ) This issue is a result of the raping of the land below and around Evans creek. The trees are all gone and the critters are being pushed into the park. Evans creek is a LSR (late sucsesional reserve) lots of new rules to deal with that we didnt have before
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Yep, I read it, yes I even wrote about it and yes I even reviewed the document and responded with issues that I did and didn't like about the plan. I even dissected much of the plan for others so that they knew what things to write about and posted it up for comments and discussion.

But that was quite a while ago and most of the plan for up there, I liked, except for the stupidty fo the street legal vs ORV traffic flow around the campground.

Last year, Arlene was able to get the winter closure pulled so I forgot about this even being an issue on the table any more. I know of quite a few people with snow wheeling trips already planned for this winter up there.

I was more hoping the Evan's Creek land chair would post up stuff like this, like the Elbe Land chair does. I couldn't find a beating dead horse smiley though.

I didn't go personally to the meetings but I had a club rep at several of them.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyatch View Post
Thanks Bryan. Maybe we can cross post so we get the right information?? I figure the more communication the better.
I will pass along any new info I get
Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Yep, I read it, yes I even wrote about it and yes I even reviewed the document and responded with issues that I did and didn't like about the plan. I even dissected much of the plan for others so that they knew what things to write about and posted it up for comments and discussion.

But that was quite a while ago and most of the plan for up there, I liked, except for the stupidty fo the street legal vs ORV traffic flow around the campground.

Last year, Arlene was able to get the winter closure pulled so I forgot about this even being an issue on the table any more. I know of quite a few people with snow wheeling trips already planned for this winter up there.

I was more hoping the Evan's Creek land chair would post up stuff like this, like the Elbe Land chair does. I couldn't find a beating dead horse smiley though.

I didn't go personally to the meetings but I had a club rep at several of them.

Derick (evans creek cord. ) is not online nor does he come on here so its a moot point and we will not have a argument about moving into the 21st century again. I sent a e-mail off to bob about the issue so I will post up when he responds. I "believe" part of the reason the clouser was lifted last year is because the plan was not yet in effect. This season it is. So I will wait for clarification before posting the facts.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-12-2009, 02:43 PM
that WOHVA guy

Until we hear back from Bob or Ian...everyone should click on the following link for all information on the new Evan's Creek ORV recreation plan:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects...ek/index.shtml

On this page are several links to documents:
  • Decision Notice and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
  • Environmental Assessment
  • EA Cover
  • Campground & Day-Use Concept Plan Drawing
  • Entrance Facility Concept Plan Drawing
Everyone should read through the 132 page Evironmental Assessment:
  • old trail map is on page 10
  • closure dates are on pages 14-15
  • alternative ideas considered are discussed starting on page 34
  • the chosen plan (alternative 2) is discussed on pages 37 - 44
  • the new map is on page 46
  • user built trails are discussed on page 104 & 106
  • individuals & other agencies that helped develop the plan are listed on page 131
  • Forest Service employees involved in the plan are listed on page 132
This is the new reality for Evan's Creek ORV
Old 12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Has some friends

According to this plan Evans was to be closed from Nov 10 to July 15th regardless of this plan. This was disclosed a couple times in the plan including as a reply to Arlean's written comments.
If this is true the plan actually opens Evans up for about a additional 6 months.