Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Evans Creek Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
According to this plan Evans was to be closed from Nov 10 to July 15th regardless of this plan. This was disclosed a couple times in the plan including as a reply to Arlean's written comments.
If this is true the plan actually opens Evans up for about a additional 6 months.
It looks to me that the trails will be closed from 12/15 - 03/31 (3.5 months), BUT depending on conditions some/all of the trails could be closed from 10/01 - 06/30 (9 months). Depending on how the FS applies this plan...there is potential for the trails to be closed a little longer than under the old rules.

Quote:
December 15 – March 31
Area Closed – Wildlife Concern
3.5 months

April 1 – June 30
Individual Trail Closures as Needed*
3.0 months

July 1 – September 30
Area Open*
3.0 months

October 1 – December 14
Individual Trail Closures as Needed*
2.5 months
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 AM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Pacific Northwest 4-Wheel-Drive Association (Arlene Brooks, Washington State Director
Comment #1: As part of the consultation and coordination process; during the group, individual and public involvement – there was a request for consideration during the winter season for “managed over the snow” opportunities for the four-wheel drive community; suggestion - #102 (4X4 trail system), we would like to have this request considered again.
Forest Service Response: The current closure order restricted use (on the dual-track trails) from November 10 through July 15 to ensure user safety and protect resources. The closure approved in the Selected Alternative adopts a December 15 through March 31 closure timeframe for the protection of wildlife and other resources. This closure allows for a period of time, when use is already low, for wildlife to utilize the area either directly or indirectly without conflict or disturbance from motorized use. Other resources, such as soil and water, will also benefit from this annual closure. (EA pp. 14, 45, 55-57, 110-112, 123 and this Decision Notice – Appendix A Soils and Wildlife)
Letter makes reference to Trail 102 consideration, for the purpose of this response, it is assumed that Trail 120 is the actual concern as no changes outside of trail management were proposed in the Selected Action for Trail 102. Trail 120 is beyond Forest Road 7920 proposed closure at its junction with Trail 199 in the Selected Alternative. Access to Trail 120 will be eliminated in the Selected Alternative (EA pp. 11, 44, 55, 58, 65, 102).
General Statements:

Concurs with the Districts decision and reasoning for dropping from further consideration: 1) Closure of the ORV Area, and 2) Leave Everything Open.

Alternative 1 – No action is not acceptable as it would fall under the current 1980 Forest Plan. Conditions at Evans Creek need to improve to address serious safety, health and
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Decision Notice and FONSI
resource issues; due to the facilities location and the user demand – and is vital to the recreation community.

Alternative 2 – The Proposed Plan – is being supported. It is realistic in facility design and its implementation; however it comes with some reservation, recommendations and need for clarification. We welcome the proposed revision to the operation season closure order #06-05-FO-06-01 that was imposed by the Forest Supervisor in 2006. We also understand the Districts concern on having flexible temporary trail closures due to severe seasonal weather contributing to habitat and resource concerns; although in reviewing the Plan (Wildlife) based on the landscape, I see where there is an assumption species are scarce or no longer persist in the planning area due to habitat loss.
Was Arlene able to issue an appeal to the decision notice regarding the seasonal closure?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Is it true that Evan's Creek is closed December 15 to March 15th this year?
Ok I just got off the phone with Bob and here's the skinny on what's going on at Evans. The park will undergo a seasonal closure beginning dec.15 2010 as in next year. Tech. its already in effect for this year but there is no gate in place to enforce the closure. We may very well see a gate in place at the entrance next year to enforce the closure. There still seems to be a lot of confusion within the FS as to what this all means. I have a call into the head ranger for the Mt baker snouq. district and I will see what he says. This whole project is a work in motion so expect changes as they implement it. Also keep in mind that this closure is partly for drainage issues (trail rutting) but mainly is a fish and wildlife issue. We all know just how much clout the DFWL has
Below is the e-mail I received from Bob.

Hey Jim. It may be better to have a phone conversation on this to better clarify but here is the closure as it reads in the Environmental Assessment. (pg 44) Technically this was in effect when the Decision Notice was signed but likely will not be enforced until 2010 after the 7920 and 105 are decomissioned and some type of closure is installed at the entrance. Keep in mind we want to to be a flexible as possible with the shoulder season individual trail closures but the wildlife closure will be need to be enforced next season. My intent this upcoming season is to purchase a piece of equipment and start working on the trail system to better armour so drainage and erosion wont be an issue during the heavy rains and the trails can remain open. I will need the support of volunteers in expediting this over the next few years.

January - March 31 Area Closed for Wildlife Concern
April 1- June 30 Individual trail closures as Needed *
July 1- September 30 Area Open *
October 1 - December 14 Individual trail Closures as Needed *
December 15 - December 31 Area Closues- Wildlife Concern

* Potential for individual trail closures based on trail conditions during severe weather events for duration based on resource concerns.

Bob Pacific
Trails/ORV/Summit at Snoqualmie Ski Administration
Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
Snoqualmie Ranger District
450 Roosevelt Ave East
Enumclaw, WA 98022
(360) 825-6585 x205
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
rollin

I'm curious as to who went to this meeting from PNW4WDA. Anyone know?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 PM
that WOHVA guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyatch View Post
I'm curious as to who went to this meeting from PNW4WDA. Anyone know?
Are you talking about the last White River Recreation Meeting?

Also, I just spoke to Ian Canaan...he confirmed that it is business as usual this year & gates next year.

Last edited by dirk; 12-16-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
rollin

Yes. I was asking who from the PNW4WDA went to the meeting where Evans was discussed.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yes. I was asking who from the PNW4WDA went to the meeting where Evans was discussed.
Derick ClarK (evans creek Chairman)
Jim Putman (region two land matters chair)
Jerry Nettnin. (Member)
Steve Illman (indv member)
Dave Bauman (Naches chairman)
Kathy Greenwood (member )
Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
rollin

You went to this meeting?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 PM

I am curious as to what the reaction was by Jim and Derrick to the proposed closures. Was there an official stance or presentation against the closure by the PNW4WDA. If so, what was it?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
You went to this meeting?
Yes