Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Evans Creek Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
I am curious as to what the reaction was by Jim and Derrick to the proposed closures. Was there an official stance or presentation against the closure by the PNW4WDA. If so, what was it?
No reaction because its not new news Dale. The seasonal clouser has been in effect for years and now just the dates have changed due to a decission by the folks at fish and wildlife. Another thing to consider is that the clouser has not be enforced over the years simply because once there was several feet of snow on the ground the trails became impassable so the rutting and thus drainage issues wer not a problem. Now we rigs with 42-50" tires that are capable of driving in this kind of snow.So now theres a issue with rutting and drainage problems that wasnt there before and the forest service is addressing it.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
No reaction because its not new news Dale. The seasonal clouser has been in effect for years and now just the dates have changed due to a decission by the folks at fish and wildlife. Another thing to consider is that the clouser has not be enforced over the years simply because once there was several feet of snow on the ground the trails became impassable so the rutting and thus drainage issues wer not a problem. Now we rigs with 42-50" tires that are capable of driving in this kind of snow.So now theres a issue with rutting and drainage problems that wasnt there before and the forest service is addressing it.
So, to be clear, when asked for input on the proposed closure dates, there was no response to this. I just want to have my info straight so that I don't have misinformation.

I am asking this because I was told today, by a reliable source that during the meetings where this was discussed, both Jim and Derrick were present but posed no objections to the winter closing dates as such, the USFS assumed that the ORV community was OK with the closure. I wanted to be sure that the information was indeed correct.

Bryan, what are your thoughts on this having anything to do with the large tire rigs that are now running the trails in the winter?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Has some friends

Dale how would one close something that's already closed?
The way I understand this, this is a work plan to be set in motion during a time when a trail system is already closed.
Did I not read it right?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Washington State Director

Quote:
So, to be clear, when asked for input on the proposed closure dates, there was no response to this. I just want to have my info straight so that I don't have misinformation.

I am asking this because I was told today, by a reliable source that during the meetings where this was discussed, both Jim and Derrick were present but posed no objections to the winter closing dates as such, the USFS assumed that the ORV community was OK with the closure. I wanted to be sure that the information was indeed correct.

Bryan, what are your thoughts on this having anything to do with the large tire rigs that are now running the trails in the winter?
I can only assume you mean the meetings last year when this was all being proposed. YES we did voice a strong concern. Arlenes position letter from the PNW4WDA stated as such. This couser is nothing new it was just never enforced before and NOW due to presure from the fish and wildlife. it going to be addresed. So Dale put away your fishing pole theres nothing here to catch.
Member #40 Hombres jeep club
Region 2 landmatters chairman
Wa. State Director PNW4WDA
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim putman View Post
I can only assume you mean the meetings last year when this was all being proposed. YES we did voice a strong concern. Arlenes position letter from the PNW4WDA stated as such. This couser is nothing new it was just never enforced before and NOW due to presure from the fish and wildlife. it going to be addresed. So Dale put away your fishing pole theres nothing here to catch.
Not actually trying to catch anything. Rather hoping to sieze an opportunity and hope that it works. Just wanting to get all the facts straight first.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Dale how would one close something that's already closed?
The way I understand this, this is a work plan to be set in motion during a time when a trail system is already closed.
Did I not read it right?
Yep, and I originally read it the same way and had the same line of reasoning. It's always been closed, just never enforced. It's always been noted as open when snow free which would assume closed when there's snow. I recall reading this during the discussion period and figured that no action would be taken that is any different from the status quo. Obviously, that assumption was a mistake and it may open up option for further discussion on how the "closure" is to be handled.

The wheels are spinning right now, just not sure what will come of it.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Has some friends

Quote:
Obviously, that assumption was a mistake.......
I don't understand what you mean here?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
I don't understand what you mean here?
My (or our) assumption that being "closed" in the future would be the same as being "closed" in the past. It's never been enforced, we never saw gates installed, except for on the 102. I assumed reading the plan in the beginning that the closure would leave it at status quo. No services provided but not closed from access altogether.