Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Washington Trails > Reiter Trails
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 AM
Forum Leader

Default Janurary 2010

From David Way of the DNR.

I would like to get a work party set on the calendar for the month of January. There are a couple things that I would like to accomplish:

1. There is a dumped canopy camper under the power lines on the very steep hill where they head down towards Index. I will need at least 2 rigs with winches and some agile people who want to scale down the hill to help pick up the trash with me.

2. The first big wave of restoration work is looking like it will begin soon. We are going to be placing straw bails, straw blankets, straw waddles and other erosion control stuff at the stream crossings. The second wave will be later this winter in planting native species in those stream crossings. I anticipate being ready by January 17th with supplies to begin this work.

On another note, I believe we will be having a public workshop in the Monroe area on January 13th. This meeting will be to get everybody up to speed on our restoration plans, update on trail planning and construction, and get people scheduled for work parties. I know that this is the date of your January RTW meeting, but that is how it ended up Sorry!

We will be sending out an invitation email soon regarding this meeting. Please stay tuned.

I hope I have more to share with you all soon!

Thanks,

David Way
Reiter Foothills Recreation Manager
(360) 854-2830
david.way@dnr.wa.gov

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Reiter Trail Watch Treasurer
Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Forum Leader

Default update

Greetings everyone:

I just wanted to let you know about two exciting opportunities for you to get involved in shaping the future of Reiter Foothills Forest.

Workshop: Help Plan Trails and Restoration Projects

DNRís Northwest Region will be hosting a workshop to collect public input on restoration work and trail opportunities in Reiter Foothills Forest from 6 to 8 p.m., January 13 at the Commons, Monroe High School, 17001 Tester Rd., in Monroe.

The workshop is in conjunction with the overall Reiter Foothills Forest recreation planning process. As DNR prepares to put the plan into place, the agency will be collecting information about site-specific restoration and trail projects. Public involvement will be critical to the success of the plan.

For more information about the meeting, contact Candace Johnson, 360-854-2803 or candace.johnson@dnr.wa.gov.

Training: Forest Watch Volunteers

Are you interested in helping improve public safety and protecting the environment in Reiter Foothills Forest? DNRís Northwest Region will be hosting a free training opportunity for individuals interested in participating in a volunteer forest watch program in the Reiter Foothills Forest. The training is from 9 a.m. to approximately 3:30 p.m., Saturday, January 30. The location of the meeting will be decided later, based on the number of people who plan on attending.

Forest watch volunteers will patrol the Reiter Foothills Forest, providing a variety of key functions to help improve conditions in the area. Patrollers observe, document, and report suspicious or illegal activities. In addition, volunteer patrollers educate and communicate with fellow outdoor recreation enthusiasts about rules and appropriate conduct for recreating on DNR-managed land.

All program participants are required to attend a mandatory training session and:

∑ Pass a criminal background test.

∑ Have a current, valid driverís license.

∑ Be willing and able to document and report activities observed on patrols.

∑ Document and submit all time records and other volunteer paperwork.

∑ Participate in vehicle patrols on authorized forest roads, refraining from off road patrols until recreational trails are opened.

∑ Schedule patrol shifts.

Currently, forest watch volunteers are needed to help patrol during the temporary closure at Reiter Foothills. The program will expand beyond this to provide patrols for future recreation trails and facilities in areas that are being developed through the Reiter Foothills Forest recreation planning process.

If you are interested in attending the training, please RSVP by 4 p.m., January 11, by contacting David Way, Reiter Foothills Recreation Manager, at 360-854-2830 or david.way@dnr.wa.gov. We will notify all attendees of the location once that is determined.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Candace Johnson

Assistant Region Manager, State Lands
Northwest Region
Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
360-854-2803

candace.johnson@dnr.wa.gov
www.dnr.wa.gov

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Forum Leader

giving a fresh bump for this as its next week and i am sure people have things they would like to say.

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Forum Leader

an other reminder for tonight

PNW4WDA Reigon 1 member
Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Webfooter VP

When is the work party scheduled for? I may be able to get some TESC/Erosion Control type Items donated.

On a side note i dont know if it would make anyone any more happy but I am a CESCL (Certified Erosion and Sediment Control Lead), a DOE certification. It is something that they want on all construction projects. It may help bolster our "qualifications" to manage a trail system....