Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage > Tow Rig
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tow Rig Gas or Diesel

Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default 19.5's Tires/Wheels...commercial grade

I'm running 19.5" tire/wheels on my Dodge to handle the weight of my slidein camper. "E" rated tires were no where near strong enough to handle my stuff. Yes, I know a dually would've been a better option. Wife refused that idea. My tires are "G" rated at 4,540lbs. These tires handle awesome when fully loaded.
Sidewalls are a little rough when empty.

06' CTD
Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I know John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjp View Post
I'm running 19.5" tire/wheels on my Dodge to handle the weight of my slidein camper. "E" rated tires were no where near strong enough to handle my stuff. Yes, I know a dually would've been a better option. Wife refused that idea. My tires are "G" rated at 4,540lbs. These tires handle awesome when fully loaded.
Sidewalls are a little rough when empty.

Sexy :cool_shades:
Spanaway Moonshiners Jeep Club
-----------------------------------------------
My opinions may only make sense to me, read at your own risk...
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Back up and pipe it...

that looks really good... I miss my CTD.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I know John Galt

Are they getting more affordable, Bill? I remember the first time I saw them advertised in TDR they were real spendy.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

I bought mine from Les Schwab. Not all Les Schwab's are equal. There can be some price variance from one to the next. Almost went with the same rims (Vision 81's) and Kuhmo tires from Discount Tire.

There are the steel rims with proper offset from Rickson Tire & Wheel. They are very spendy. Also, Rickson has something in the neighborhood of 6-8wk wait time. Les Schwab was 2-3day wait time for the aluminum rim.

Because of the rear SuperHitch the matching spare is completely deflated. Will not fit any other way. The truck and Jeep each have onboard air. I also carry a cheapo compressor in the truck for just in case.

06' CTD
Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
I know John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjp View Post
I bought mine from Les Schwab. Not all Les Schwab's are equal. There can be some price variance from one to the next. Almost went with the same rims (Vision 81's) and Kuhmo tires from Discount Tire.

There are the steel rims with proper offset from Rickson Tire & Wheel. They are very spendy. Also, Rickson has something in the neighborhood of 6-8wk wait time. Les Schwab was 2-3day wait time for the aluminum rim.

Because of the rear SuperHitch the matching spare is completely deflated. Will not fit any other way. The truck and Jeep each have onboard air. I also carry a cheapo compressor in the truck for just in case.
It's the Rickson's that I remember. They were making the steels, and yes they were proud of them, and then they were advertising aluminums, but I don't remember the manufacturer, but I don't think they were in-house. Might have been Alcoa. They were even more proud of the aluminums...Good to see some other options.
One concern I had was a harsh(er) unloaded ride. It's already not that good, not a Chevy, ya know. I can live with a "truck" ride, but would rather not have a "hardtail"...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
It's the Rickson's that I remember. They were making the steels, and yes they were proud of them, and then they were advertising aluminums, but I don't remember the manufacturer, but I don't think they were in-house. Might have been Alcoa. They were even more proud of the aluminums...Good to see some other options.
One concern I had was a harsh(er) unloaded ride. It's already not that good, not a Chevy, ya know. I can live with a "truck" ride, but would rather not have a "hardtail"...

From what I recall Alcoa backed out of the deal for the aluminum. I think it more to do with limited production numbers. Ride is slightly rougher than stock. I'd like to move to Rancho 9k's. The Rancho's made a large difference on my 96' CTD.

Probably see you Sunday!

06' CTD