Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Tool Bag > Garage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage Break it/Fix it

Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Friends

Default push clutch in, rpm rocket up to 4000+

this was happening before i got a new clutch installed and is still happening now that i just got a new clutch.
the jeep starts just fine but when it gets up to a good running temp suddenly when i push the clutch in or throw it in neutral it wants to rocket up to 4000 or more rpms. also i can be driving down the road and i can take my foot of the gas and it will keep itself going at about 35mph and the rpms wont drop past about 2000.
i had him adjust my carb and fix my gas pedal linkage while he was in there and i've gone under and can't find anything else that may be causing it.

what is going on?!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Peak Putters President

84 CJ7? Stock carb and distributor? My first guess would be vacuum leak. If you start it in nuetral how does it idle? Take the air cleaner off and cover the carb while it is running... does it try to die, keep running or speed up?
HTH.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Friends

84 cj7 yes. stock carb and dist yes.
i was driving it last night and it did it again and then i heard a 'pop' kind of noise and none of the gears would catch. i just got a new clutch installed two days ago so i'm having it towed back over and going to just have him refix the clutch and find out what else is going on.
i know the seal around the intake manifold is leaking a little but i didn't think it would cause that kind big of problem.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:35 PM

That would have something to do with it. Big vacumn leak. I would start with what you know is leaking and go from there. If your not comfortable tackling it yourself take it to someone or come on over to our forum at www.pistonswild.com we have a couple professional mechanics in the club that could give you some pointers on what to try and look for in your search. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Friends

just in case anyone was keeping up with this thread.
i got my jeep back. it turns out the little spring that is on the throttle screw on the carb was the culprit. we changed that spring to a smaller tighter spring and it's fine now.
thanks everyone for helping!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM

Glad to hear it was so simple. Those are the hardest to try and track down. Another 5 cent part caused all kinds of havoc.