Go Back   Pacific Northwest Four Wheel Drive Association > Wheeling > Land Matters Discussion Area
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Land Matters Discussion Area Discussion Relating to Your Land/Legislative Issues

Old 02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Peak Putters President

Thumbs down S.799, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009

This is a letter that I sent to Maria Cantwell in October of last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaccocca
Quote:
Clifton Retterer
xxxx Wxxth AVE
KENNEWICK, WA 99337-XXXX
October 1, 2009

The Honorable Maria Cantwell
511 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Re: Protect more than 9 million acres from OHV restrictions
Dear Senator Cantwell:
As a constituent and concerned motorized outdoor recreationist, I am writing to ask you to oppose S.799, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. S.799 will designate more than nine million additional acres as Wilderness and unnecessarily close access to responsible recreation at the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock off-highway vehicle areas (to name a few) in Utah.
The closure of these trails will be devastating to many friends and families who recreate together responsibly.
We cannot afford to close any more trails without providing alternative OHV opportunities. Again, I ask that you oppose S.799.
Thank you for your time and consideration of this important issue.
Sincerely, Clifton L. Retterer
(I also sent a similar email to Doc, becuase he is on the house committee reviewing this.)

I received this response today:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Retterer,

Thank you for contacting me about designating the Red Rock area of Utah as a wilderness area. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter and sincerely regret the delayed response.

As you know, on April 2, 2009, Senator **** Durbin (D-IL) introduced the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act (S. 799). If enacted, this bill would designate as wilderness certain federal portions of the red rock canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah for the benefit of present and future generations of people in the United States. I am a cosponsor of this legislation, which is currently awaiting action before the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

These lands include steep slick rock canyons, high cliffs, important archeological sites, and habitats for rare plant and animal species. Wilderness designation of this area is necessary to ensure that this area is preserved for future generations. Without this designation, the Red Rock area could be mined for coal, an activity that would scar this beautiful landscape.

Again, thank you for contacting me about the Red Rock Wilderness Act. As our population continues to grow, it is crucial that we protect rare wilderness lands like the Red Rock area. I am committed to the preservation of this unique landscape and believe the Red Rock Wilderness Act is the best way to ensure this open space remains for future generations. You may also be interested in signing up for periodic updates for Washington State residents. If you are interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at http://cantwell.senate.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator
(The forum software is editing the commonly used first name of Sen. Richard Durbin. The WA Senator did not really include a dirty word.)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Oregon State Director

It is very apparent that this senator is in touch with Americans. I wonder which ones?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Cherokee Master

Sen Cantwell is as green as they get and will never change. The Seattle wackos keep sending her back.

1988 Cherokee 4 door, 3" Rancho lift, custom sliders/steps, custom roof rack, custom camo paint, custom camo headliner, custom bumpers and Warn 9500 HS, 31-10.50's

Only 31's, but can drag self with either rig

BLM John Day/Snake RAC-OHV Representative

Wolfpack 4x4's - Region 5 - "Cave Lupum"

VP- Outcast Land Use Review Team
Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 AM

Noel, faith leaders stage impromptu wilderness debate

By Peggy Fletcher Stack

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 02/11/2010 09:59:41 AM MST

Rep. Mike Noel waded into a circle of interfaith advocates of wilderness protection in the Capitol Rotunda on Wednesday and almost immediately began defending his approach to "God's country" and his support of recreational vehicles in the outdoors.

"We've now created stacks of regulations," said the Kanab Republican, an outspoken critic of climate-change science and environmental activists. "Whatever you want to do on public lands, it is protested."

For more than 20 minutes, he engaged in a civil debate with leaders and members from 11 faiths -- Roman Catholic, Episcopal, Islamic, Jewish, Latter-day Saint, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Quaker, Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ -- who had gathered to showcase 250 images of Utah's beauty and ask their elected leaders to "recognize the spiritual importance of Utah's wild lands and support their preservation."

Designating wilderness will not "lock up" the land, insisted Stephen Trimble, a member of Utah's Jewish Reconstructionist congregation Chavurah B'Yachad.

Nearly three-fourths of the ground in America's Redrock Wilderness Act lies within one mile of roads. Grazing, hunting, fishing, horseback riding, hiking, rafting -- wilderness allows for them all, and wilderness legislation recognizes pre-existing property rights as well, Trimble said. The vast majority of Utah's significant energy reserves lie outside the boundaries of proposed wilderness. Tens of thousands of
miles of off-road-vehicle routs remain accessible outside proposed wilderness.

"Our beliefs might differ," Brigham Young University humanities professor George Handley said, "but our values harmonize on this essential point: Wilderness teaches us humility, wonder, respect and gratitude for the creator."

Noel addressed many of his comments to Handley, whom he recognized as being a member of "his faith" (the LDS Church) and even addressed the BYU professor once as "brother."

The southern Utah rancher strenuously defended a protest ride by off-roaders through the Paria River bed, off-limits to such motorized use and a move Handley condemned as "desecration."

"Every winter this river has huge floods, wiping out everything in sight," Noel said. "Driving four-wheelers through the riverbed has no more impact than God does."

For his part, Handley said he wished legislators would use the language of "stewardship" when they discuss wilderness, rather than development.

"It would be healing," he said, "if we could hear that vocabulary."

Though she disagreed with Noel's perspective and conclusions, Elaine Emmi of Salt Lake Society of Friends (Quakers) said she applauded his willingness to engage on these crucial topics.

"That's what we want," Emmi said. "Dialogue is what we're after."

pstack@sltrib.com
Land Use Coordinator

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing
Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM

The whole Utah delegation is against this, but I doubt that'll make much to the greenies. The Southern Utah Wilderness Asc. Has things pretty well figured...

www.peakputters.com

It's a Scout thing